Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Airstrip One (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/airstrip-one-1516/)

pioneer461 08-02-2007 04:23 PM

Airstrip One

The police in Great Britain have announced they "are seeking powers to take DNA samples from suspects on the streets and for non-imprisonable offences such as speeding and dropping litter." (Emphasis added.)

Let's see now, you can not own a pistol in Britain, nor can you defend yourself with any kind of weapon. London and other British cities are literally awash with surveillance cameras, 4.2 million* by last count, and subjects (as opposed to citizens) are photographed an average of 300* times a day. And now they want to capture DNA for the most minor infractions of the law!
(*http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001665.html )

It is prophetic indeed that George Orwell chose England, which was renamed as "Airstrip One," in his book Nineteen Eighty Four, as the home of the totalitarian society described therein. Many other situations in that book are becoming current events before our very eyes, not the least of which is the concept of "political correctness," which in the book is manifested in the Thought Police. In addition to England, Airstrip One also encompasses North America.

We often make reference to 1984, but if you have never read it, I suggest you get a copy. There are also two motion pictures based on the book, neither of which go into great detail, which is often the case.

FALPhil 08-02-2007 06:22 PM

It doesn't really matter. With the current trends in birth rates in the UK, by 2084, they will be 80% Arab Muslims.

SabreArms 08-02-2007 11:18 PM

I will need to get a copy of that book. Heard of it a long time ago but have forgotten about it since

bkt 08-03-2007 10:47 AM

How many Brits do you suppose are furious about this kind of thing? Not enough, evidently.

1984 is a great but disturbing book. Compare Orwell's "fiction" to what is really going on today and it'll increase your blood pressure somewhat.

notdku 08-04-2007 01:40 AM

But come on guys, England has universal health care! (sarcasm)

cnorman18 08-08-2007 10:17 PM

The situation in the UK is indeed very, very bad as far as firearms are concerned (though, as I've noted elsewhere, I see no problem with public surveillance cameras), and Australia is not far behind; however, they both remain representative democracies and the people can, if they wish, vote to get their guns back. Here in the US, as I'm fond of pointing out, the people in more than 30 states demanded that concealed carry become legal--and it has. Make no mistake; here in Texas, CCW was a grassroots movement of the PEOPLE, and our famously corrupt politicians jumped on that bandwagon because it was in their interest to do so. The same can happen anywhere that men and women can actually vote.
As the Muslim population in the UK grows, that might well happen. If not--well, it's been said before: in a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.

I know a lot of you guys are unhappy with Bush and the Republicans; so am I, often enough. But we live in the real world, not Airstrip One or the Wild West, and you work with what you have. Wayne LaPierre and the NRA Party are not going to come into power next year. Given that FACT, who do you trust MORE to defend your rights--ANY Republican, or ANY Democrat?

If your answer is "Neither! I won't vote!" or "I'll vote Libertarian!" or some such--well, that's a vote for the Democrats. Maybe it sucks, but in this Real World, that's the truth.

"All that is necessary for evil men to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

pioneer461 08-08-2007 11:56 PM

Airstrip One

"Here in the US, as I'm fond of pointing out, the people in more than 30 states demanded that concealed carry become legal--and it has."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cnorman, I think we are pretty much in agreement on the basics. However, if Cllinton or any of the other far left Dems gains the Presidency, and they keep control of Congress, you can expect to see a flurry of gun control legislation, as well as executive orders that will ultimately strip away the Second Amendment...for starters.

cnorman18 08-09-2007 03:04 AM

I'm counting on it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneer461 (Post 6056)
Cnorman, I think we are pretty much in agreement on the basics. However, if Cllinton or any of the other far left Dems gains the Presidency, and they keep control of Congress, you can expect to see a flurry of gun control legislation, as well as executive orders that will ultimately strip away the Second Amendment...for starters.

It may sound odd, but if they get in, that's what I'm counting on. That they'll TRY, that is. I think it'll blow up in their faces. The real danger lies elsewhere.

Democratic support at present is wide, but not deep--and it's only wide because of the war. It will be very much in character for the Dems to assume they have a "mandate" (which they won't--the one thing you can be sure of in the next election is that it'll be CLOSE again) and promptly overreach their authority and lose their support. Remember what Hillary did with health care? The public reaction was outrage. When you look up "high-handed" and "arrogant" in the dictionary, there's a full-page portrait of her.

I doubt very much that the millions of voters who so recently got the right to carry will give it up all that happily, and I fully expect that the Dems are going to shoot themselves in the foot (so to speak) on this very issue. It will be a very big reason that the Dems will take huge losses at the midterms of 2010. Wait and see.

Two points:

(1) Many of the Dems elected in '06 were NOT far-left nutballs. Some ran on specifically pro-gun positions, or they couldn't have been elected. Haven't you noticed how quiet they've been on guns in this Congress--even though they have a majority of both houses NOW? These same guys know they stand zero chance of reelection if they vote against gunowners' interests back home.

(2) Gun control is the LEAST dependable issue the Dems have. Abortion, gay marriage, the Iraq war, affirmative action, the death penalty, the environment, entitlement programs, open borders, etc., etc.--if a person is a Democrat, you can pretty much predict where they stand on all those things. But on gun control--not so fast, Dems. CCW has been a huge success everywhere it's been passed; crime rates are down, and even Democrats like that. The majority of the people, and at least a sizable minority of non-extremist Dems (if not a majority) OPPOSE gun control, at least in extreme forms. Remember: the most liberal state in the Union, Massachusetts, voted down an outright handgun ban by more than 2 to 1. And you may have noticed a few self-described pro-gun liberals on this very board.

No, the danger isn't that the Dems will try to outlaw guns if they get in. What I lose sleep over is this:

Hillary (or Hussein) appointing a new Justice to the Supreme Court--or two, or three--and the Court finally addressing the Second Amendment directly.

THAT is disaster, my friends.

Work for the Republican nominee, even if you don't like him. Please.