Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Airsoft anybody?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I know, they're great fun! Just something to tide me over until ammo prices and availability come back to some normalcy. Lol
Is this actually functional? Could I tear a hole in paper at 10-20 feet with some accuracy?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #12

could my son feel what his Granddad's Army issue felt like? with this one? I just can't wrap my head around them actually working...I'm in disbelief I guess.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:07 AM   #13

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post

Is this actually functional? Could I tear a hole in paper at 10-20 feet with some accuracy?
Absolutely. Now keep in mind this one looks top be a 4.5mm steel bb shooter, not like the ones I shoot which use a 6mm plastic bb. Either way the most important part of determining if it will put holes in things is velocity. This one will most likely put holes in popcans. Very few are made that shoot any less than 150fps. Most I've looked at are around 250-450.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #14

Quote:
could my son feel what his Granddad's Army issue felt like? with this one? I just can't wrap my head around them actually working...I'm in disbelief I guess.
That's the first model I looked at actually. Plenty of reviews on utube, just look up Colt airsoft. This was very tempting, but I wanted something slightly shorter in barrel so went with the 3.8 baby.

Now feel like, somewhat. It's not full weight, just close to. It is 1:1 scale size. The recoil or blowback is much slower and lessened than actual 45s. So while it simulates, it won't kick like a donkey. ; P

Also, I'm no pro. I just stayed to get into this myself. I've done miles of exhausting research, but I don't know everything. Use that replica site as a good basis for education, it's where I got most my info. Amazon has some great deals on these things too, so keep looking.

There's Walters, Sigs, Colts, Winchesters, CZ 75s, S&W Sigma & M&P... The list goes on. Beretta 92 is my favorite, but be careful, there are good ones and very bad. A good rule of thumb is to pay no less than 60 and watch user reviews. I'll be glad to look them over for ya as well if you'd like. But in the end is only my opinion based on what I can see online.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 04-08-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Wiebelhaus Likes This 
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #15

You know it's scary to think about though, if someone pointed one of these at me, I'd drop them where they stood with a double tap of 45 ACP from simple muscle memory, I'd have no way of knowing it was just an idiot with a plastic replica.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #16

Quote:
You know it's scary to think about though, if someone pointed one of these at me, I'd drop them where they stood with a double tap of 45 ACP, I'd have no way of knowing it was just an idiot with a plastic replica.
I know it. Recently a guy in downtown Portland stood atop a parking garage and waved a fun around. Police tried to talk him down but he began to point it toward the crowd and they were forced to shoot, it was an airsoft gun.

It happens, has and will probably continue to, but it goes to teaching. The cops weren't held responsible, nor could you be. Tough spot to be in for sure.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:28 AM   #17

Quote:
I know it. Recently a guy in downtown Portland stood atop a parking garage and waved a fun around. Police tried to talk him down but he began to point it toward the crowd and they were forced to shoot, it was an airsoft gun.

It happens, has and will probably continue to, but it goes to teaching. The cops weren't held responsible, nor could you be. Tough spot to be in for sure.
Damn that's scary bro, sorry to get all serious but for us responsible adults and for our good kids I could see how these things could make some fun be had, I'm going to find one on that site you linked and order one for the hell of it, thanks for the heads up.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 AM   #18

Quote:

Damn that's scary bro, sorry to get all serious but for us responsible adults and for our good kids I could see how these things could make some fun be had, I'm going to find one on that site you linked and order one for the hell of it, thanks for the heads up.
Absolutely, just remember to look for 6mm plastic bb vs 4.5mm metal. You should be able to filter by each.

Let me know what you wind up with, post pics when you get it too! Looking forward to it
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Absolutely, just remember to look for 6mm plastic bb vs 4.5mm metal. You should be able to filter by each.
May I ask what the difference is? plus vs. cons?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #20

Quote:

May I ask what the difference is? plus vs. cons?
Is mostly about inside vs outdoor shooting. The 4.5mm steel bbs are like that of any bb gun, they can puts holes in walls and damage things so must be done outdoors or in a shed or garage with nothing breakable nearby. 6mm plastic are safe for indoor and out. They will go through paper, but that's about it.