Airports and guns

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Airports and guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Airports and guns

Got into a fun conversation with an idiot on airport staff about checking in my new pistol as luggage.

Told me I needed a CCW permit.

Never have I seen the need for a permit for a declared pistol in a locked SAFE!

Anyway questions on traveling with guns. Going back to SC which is gun friendly thank god although they have a long drawn out CCW course but eh that's fine..

I just check in in as baggage as a declared firearm with a small handheld hard-sided gun case, get a few dirty looks from liberals and people who are scared of a gun without a trigger finger to make it work, get accosted by the ATF, and the finally on my merry way?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Put your locked pistol case inside your suitcase, declared of course. No ammo in the pistol case, I would check the airlines website and print the page with their policies. Too many times the airline employees don,t know their companies policies. I would NOT check a handgun case as a separate bag!!!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #3

Yeah I have a big garment bag I'm checking as luggage so I'm putting it in there as I declare the luggage.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would pack it in the middle of a lockable suitcase (TSA has keys to all of them). That at least keeps the baggage monkeys out of your luggage.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Just remember it must be declared, and the paperwork inside the case with it. Even if the airline says it does not matter.

I have traveled with guns for years and have seen every type of idiocy you can imagine.

Pmo nailed it. Print the airline regs, and call in advance. They usually have one counter dedicated to firearms check in. The other counters can't do it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-01-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I had one idiot try to put the Unloaded Firearm tag on the outside of my suitcase

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That's the way they used to do it. A big "Steal This Bag" tag. Geniuses.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #8

Heh. Ah well either way I made it safely. It was rather easy transition. Good thing I got a gun too. My new roommate is well....troubled in the sense they believe in the May 21st crap. I didn't know this until I was moving in.

Needless to say I'm probably going to try to find a shipmate with some space and move in with them.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:02 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What May 21st crap?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
That's the way they used to do it. A big "Steal This Bag" tag. Geniuses.

Actually it was less likely to be stolen back then because all luggage with guns had to be hand delivered to the passenger upon landing. Now, most of the time it comes out with all the luggage on the carousel where anyone can grab the bag even by mistake.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.