Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Airports and guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/airports-guns-41947/)

JiroZero713 04-30-2011 03:20 PM

Airports and guns

Got into a fun conversation with an idiot on airport staff about checking in my new pistol as luggage.

Told me I needed a CCW permit.

Never have I seen the need for a permit for a declared pistol in a locked SAFE!

Anyway questions on traveling with guns. Going back to SC which is gun friendly thank god although they have a long drawn out CCW course but eh that's fine..

I just check in in as baggage as a declared firearm with a small handheld hard-sided gun case, get a few dirty looks from liberals and people who are scared of a gun without a trigger finger to make it work, get accosted by the ATF, and the finally on my merry way?

pandamonium 04-30-2011 03:26 PM

Put your locked pistol case inside your suitcase, declared of course. No ammo in the pistol case, I would check the airlines website and print the page with their policies. Too many times the airline employees don,t know their companies policies. I would NOT check a handgun case as a separate bag!!!

JiroZero713 04-30-2011 03:36 PM

Yeah I have a big garment bag I'm checking as luggage so I'm putting it in there as I declare the luggage.

dunerunner 04-30-2011 03:52 PM

I would pack it in the middle of a lockable suitcase (TSA has keys to all of them). That at least keeps the baggage monkeys out of your luggage.

M14sRock 04-30-2011 04:30 PM

Just remember it must be declared, and the paperwork inside the case with it. Even if the airline says it does not matter.

I have traveled with guns for years and have seen every type of idiocy you can imagine.

Pmo nailed it. Print the airline regs, and call in advance. They usually have one counter dedicated to firearms check in. The other counters can't do it.

armsmaster270 05-01-2011 04:34 AM

I had one idiot try to put the Unloaded Firearm tag on the outside of my suitcase:eek:

freefall 05-01-2011 05:10 AM

That's the way they used to do it. A big "Steal This Bag" tag. Geniuses.:cool:

JiroZero713 05-03-2011 03:55 PM

Heh. Ah well either way I made it safely. It was rather easy transition. Good thing I got a gun too. My new roommate is well....troubled in the sense they believe in the May 21st crap. I didn't know this until I was moving in.

Needless to say I'm probably going to try to find a shipmate with some space and move in with them.

freefall 05-03-2011 04:02 PM

What May 21st crap?

Car54 05-03-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freefall (Post 496324)
That's the way they used to do it. A big "Steal This Bag" tag. Geniuses.:cool:

Actually it was less likely to be stolen back then because all luggage with guns had to be hand delivered to the passenger upon landing. Now, most of the time it comes out with all the luggage on the carousel where anyone can grab the bag even by mistake.