Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Air soft (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/air-soft-72142/)

rurak 09-09-2012 10:43 PM

Air soft

Can someone enlighten me on wtf the point of air soft is?

Dillinger 09-09-2012 10:48 PM

Better than paintball, more realistic flight patterns of the ammo, limited magazine capacity so you can practice mag replacement during fake combat.

It's actually quite fun if you have honest gamers to play against. I loved playing, especially against other established teams.

texaswoodworker 09-09-2012 11:09 PM

Basically, it is as close to actual warfare as you can get without joining the military. It's cleaner and cheaper (depending on what you get) than paintball, and as said before, it is much more realistic. You can also find an almost endless variety of airsoft guns. Everything from small noisy crickets, all the way up to a minigun.

A lot of airsoft guns are single action only, but there are plenty that are semi auto and full auto too.

You can also get grenades, claymores, grenade launchers, ect.

I have been wanting to get into airsoft, but I don't really know of anyone to do it with.

rurak 09-09-2012 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info. What do they run off of? Compressed air or co2?

c3shooter 09-09-2012 11:34 PM

Some run on compressed gas, some are spring, some are electrically powered.

Dillinger 09-09-2012 11:38 PM

All mine were battery powered, which we upgraded with the best NiMh batteries we could get, then we retrofit the stocks to accept an (8) pack instead of the usual (4). :D

The really good stuff, back in 1999-2003 when I was playing, was expensive and was imported. I only ran full auto rifles, of which I still have several in storage if you are interested, and they would spit ammo like a mini gun with the mods we did.

Our team, "Colonial Marines: MAFE" (after the movie: "Alien" Marines - MAFE being something we added and it's personal) were gunsmith experts. We tore down every gun we bought, we upgraded anything that was weak, and we entered tournaments anywhere we could.

We played against teams of cops and teams of college kids and teams that competed internationally.

Some we lost, some we won, often we got destroyed, but we learned.

I loved it. It was "us" against "them" and we perfected cover tactics because if one of us got "killed" the rest of us would hear about it the WHOLE RIDE HOME as to who didn't cover them.... LOL

We competed in a 48 hour, non stop, multiple battlefield event where we took first place! We wiped out EVERYONE and were shooting fish in a barrel the whole weekend. It was like we could not miss or be killed.

I loved my time playing airsoft, the only reason I got out of it was because as always, the team went our separate ways and got all grown up.

Airsoft is very realistic training and it teaches you so much about tactical reloads, battle vision, round count, cover and re-cover each movement, and ballistics of the 6mm plastic "BB"s they fire.

dragunovsks 09-09-2012 11:55 PM

Id still rather play paintball

Me and the guys i knew played paintball, already had the paintball guns and equipment so I never saw the point in switching over. Not to mention I've never seen an airsoft gun that was that great, all the ones I've seen are cheap. You can get a pretty good paintball gun for around 100 bucks but not sure what a good quality airsoft gun costs.