Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Air Marshal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Air Marshals like most federal agents who carry a firearm start at the GS-4 or GS-5 level (on paper only), but in reality you would start as a GS-7 minimum and likely have promotion potential to GS-11. So your base salary would be a minimum of around $35k but don't worry because as a security job you get a 25% bonus to your salary and locality pay (15%-30%) so in reality you are looking at a starting salary of around $55k but if you stay at the job in 10 years you would probably be around $100k if you consider promotions and WGI's (within grade increases).

Most agencies are in a hiring freeze which means we only hire about a third of what we planned to, people still retire but they get replaced at lower rates, maybe 1 replacement for every 3 retirements. However some specific jobs have congressionally mandated fills so for example the FBI must have at least X agents, I don't know if Air Marshals are in that category but I bet they are.

Hope you like airline food!

Also you might be shocked at how little firearms training is required for the job. It's kind of a myth that police and federal agents get extensive firearms training, at least compared to what many of us who enjoy shooting would consider "extensive".

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus
Air Marshals like most federal agents who carry a firearm start at the GS-4 or GS-5 level (on paper only), but in reality you would start as a GS-7 minimum and likely have promotion potential to GS-11. So your base salary would be a minimum of around $35k but don't worry because as a security job you get a 25% bonus to your salary and locality pay (15%-30%) so in reality you are looking at a starting salary of around $55k but if you stay at the job in 10 years you would probably be around $100k if you consider promotions and WGI's (within grade increases).

Most agencies are in a hiring freeze which means we only hire about a third of what we planned to, people still retire but they get replaced at lower rates, maybe 1 replacement for every 3 retirements. However some specific jobs have congressionally mandated fills so for example the FBI must have at least X agents, I don't know if Air Marshals are in that category but I bet they are.

Hope you like airline food!

Also you might be shocked at how little firearms training is required for the job. It's kind of a myth that police and federal agents get extensive firearms training, at least compared to what many of us who enjoy shooting would consider "extensive".
Thanks for the reply. Everything I've read, and herd from my buddy who has a friend whose an Air Marshal, says that they are sort of the exception to the typical rule when it comes to federal agents. They're training is rather extensive, and because of the close confines of airplanes and proximity of many innocent people, their firearms training is superior to other agencies. I'm sure a lot of civilian shooters eclipse them but compared to it her agencies, the Air Marshals are supposed to leaps and bounds better.

Also they aren't paid on the typical GS scale. Wait one and I'll find the link.

EDIT: Heres how their pay works:

http://www.tsa.gov/careers/pay-bands

Quote:
TSA Careers

We are unique among our fellow Federal employees because we do not use the standard GS grading system you may be familiar with. We use an "SV" grading system, which is a system of discrete grades with pay ranges that differ from GS pay ranges. These discrete grades, which are identified by letters rather than numbers, have minimum and maximum rates.

In the table below, we show the ranges for each pay band.

Pay Band Minimum Maximum
A $17,083 $24,977
B $19,570 $28,546
C $22,167 $33,303
D $25,518 $38,277
E $29,302 $44,007
F $33,627 $50,494
G $39,358 $60,982
H $48,007 $74,390
I $58,495 $90,717
J $71,364 $110,612
K $85,311 $132,237
L $101,962 $155,500
M $120,236 $155,500
The above rates are basic pay rates and do not include locality pay. 2011 and 2012 basic pay rates are limited to $155,500. 2011 and 2012 adjusted pay rates (base pay plus locality) are limited to $172,550.

Latest revision: 13 December 2012

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 09-15-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 993 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

Thanks for the reply. Everything I've read, and herd from my buddy who has a friend whose an Air Marshal, says that they are sort of the exception to the typical rule when it comes to federal agents. They're training is rather extensive, and because of the close confines of airplanes and proximity of many innocent people, their firearms training is superior to other agencies. I'm sure a lot of civilian shooters eclipse them but compared to it her agencies, the Air Marshals are supposed to leaps and bounds better.

Also they aren't paid on the typical GS scale. Wait one and I'll find the link.

EDIT: Heres how their pay works:

http://www.tsa.gov/careers/pay-bands
Yes its a "demo" short for demonstration pay plan. Interesting piece of knowledge, my agency( Navy) has more than 70 pay plans, not grades or bands but plans like gs, wage grade, etc. They all have a GS eqiuvalent though, usually based on salary but sometimes on other factors such as expertise in a specific field. All the info you ever wanted and volumes more is available in the federal register.

Demos are often made up of a single union so be sure to ask about any odd rules or benefits before seeiously pursuing this path. If you have a friend of a friend you might see if you can buy him lunch and while you ask some questions.

I should have said in my previous post I dont know any air marshals but I do know the federal system pretty well.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If anyone is interested, I found the following link. I haven't read through all of it, and probably won't. The interesting parts IMO is the map of field offices, and the number of incidences (and what type) reported from Sept '01 - Sept '03. During that time, an Air Marshal's weapon was discharged (in the line of his duties) only three times.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04242.pdf

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2188 Times on 1212 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Just FYI, I know a few federal agents who have risen through the local LE and on up the food chain. All of them say that the most fun they've ever had in their career was working in uniform patrol. Join the brothers in blue first and worry about the Feds later! ;-) Then again I might be just a leeetle bit biased.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 09-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Just FYI, I know a few federal agents who have risen through the local LE and on up the food chain. All of them say that the most fun they've ever had in their career was working in uniform patrol. Join the brothers in blue first and worry about the Feds later! ;-) Then again I might be just a leeetle bit biased.
Thanks, good food for thought.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1597 Times on 858 Posts
Likes Given: 2600

I have a 6,000 mile commute to work; Mobile to Atlanta, Atlanta to Lagos (Nigeria), Lagos to Port Harcourt. Sometimes I get routed through Europe instead. I often wonder who out of all the passengers might be the A.M., thinking that surely, we have at least one on board. Also, I heard they use frangible rounds? Regardless, I wouldn't want the job. Kudos to you OP if you get what you're looking for.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #28

I can tell you about the Federal Air Marshal program because I was one of the first civilians to fly back in 1971. Prior to that military personnel flew. When the Presidential edict was handed down that all flights heading in a high risk part of the world would be covered the training really ramped up. Back then the Federal academy was located at Ft. Belvior, VA. The FBI came around and talked to all my neighbors. They thought I was a suspect and quit talking to me! After the academy I was based out of Chicago and flew out of New York. It was a great job but be forewarned it is not a job for a married man or women. You are gone for weeks on end.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #29

Liked 1672 Times on 1079 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The only thing I know about it is that my step brother was turned down because he had a voluntary car repo when he was 19. He was around 32ish when he applied. They did a background check on everyone in the family and even asked what livestock and pets we all owned.

I could imagine their info on me...
Marine combat vet...awards and citations... goldfish and kitten owner.
I'm not sure a Hello Kitty AR qualifies as being a pet owner, Tripp...

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.