Air Marshal? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Air Marshal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 798 Times on 411 Posts

Just become a federal agent in any agency and you are automatically an Air Marshal. Also they don't try to take back the plane, just protect the door to the pilots in a hijack situation. Just what was told me by a federal agent.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop
Just become a federal agent in any agency and you are automatically an Air Marshal.
Please explain what you mean. The Air Marshals fall under the TSA which falls under DHS. FBI or other federal agents would certainly help out the plane if they happened to be on it when needed, but that isn't their primary job.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4

So you need a doctoral degree to make 55k a year. Piss on that. I'm gonna keep turning wrenches for way more than that and I get to go home every night.
Quote:
Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors.
Sounds like it can get much more than that. And it never says you need a doctoral degree to make $55k.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________

Also, I don't know how reputable this source is, but:

http://work.chron.com/salary-range-federal-air-marshal-5852.html

Quote:
Federal air marshals are paid based on pay grades, or pay bands, that differ from enforcement staff in other agencies. They can be hired at pay band G, with annual salaries from $39,358 to $60,982; band H, with salaries from $48,007 to $74,390, or band I, with salaries from 58, 495 to $90,717. These amounts do not include locality pay, which, when combined with the base pay, can increase salaries to a maximum of $172,550 as of 2012

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #14

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

On almost any flight you are on there will be a number of armed Federal Agents. Agents from ICE,FBI,Marshals Service, the list is endless. They must ID themselves to the Capt. on the flight deck. Air Marshals are seldom alone on domestic flights. Under Obama arming of pilots has declined. Federal Law Enforcement jobs are "Frozen" for the most part and agents are not being replaced.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
On almost any flight you are on there will be a number of armed Federal Agents. Agents from ICE,FBI,Marshals Service, the list is endless. They must ID themselves to the Capt. on the flight deck. Air Marshals are seldom alone on domestic flights. Under Obama arming of pilots has declined. Federal Law Enforcement jobs are "Frozen" for the most part and agents are not being replaced.
That makes sense. But still, the job is attractive to me because of the (seemingly) excellent training.

Also, I won't be looking for a job anywhere for about 3 or so years. Maybe things will be different. Also, I have a feeling I would stand a good chance of getting the job, if they were hiring. I'll leave it at that.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #16

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

If you are veteran you will be first in line. Veterans receive Preference on these jobs. Other Federal Agents are used for this protection as well. Many agents have similar and more training. Many agents who were recruited from the U.S. Border Patrol, ICE etc. have not been happy about their choices.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
If you are veteran you will be first in line. Veterans receive Preference on these jobs. Other Federal Agents are used for this protection as well. Many agents have similar and more training. Many agents who were recruited from the U.S. Border Patrol, ICE etc. have not been happy about their choices.
Veteran, check. Security clearance, check. Bachelors (by the time I get out of the Corps), check. Handgun experience, while not a necessity will probably help, check.

Let's do this.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 941 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
That makes sense. But still, the job is attractive to me because of the (seemingly) excellent training.
As someone who spent a LOT of time on commercial flights, it got to the point where I actively looked for a job that did not involve air travel.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 508 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 157

A important job but I can't think of a more boring job.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

As someone who spent a LOT of time on commercial flights, it got to the point where I actively looked for a job that did not involve air travel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
A important job but I can't think of a more boring job.
I agree. 95% or more of it would be boring and uneventful. And who knows? If I try for it and get it, I might not be able to stand it for very long. But it seems like the benefits and training would be worth doing at least for a little while.

Always have clean socks.