Air Force cutting 5 A-10 Squadrons - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Air Force cutting 5 A-10 Squadrons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1401 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
They just spent a large pile of $$ upgrading the avionics on the A-10. Brilliant. Big $$ have been spent on trying to get new wing assemblies made. I haven't been keeping to close of an eye on it.
I seem to recall that the USAF was making the same noises in the late 80s/early 90s. Talking about adapting the F-16 to the same job. I seem to recall that things didn't work out that way.

As for "canning" parts. It's what we call "Recreational Maintenance." Ever since the USAF went to a smarter , supply system (fewer parts on hand, got to order from somewhere else), cannibalization has become normal ops, for a number of reasons (some better than others).
I'm part of the Maryland ANG, we are likely losing some A-10's but not our whole squadron, we are losing our C-27's if Obama signs the budget that Panera requested but that is another thread. A big part of the reason from my understanding is the lack of parts. We literally can't replace certain things, the companies that make them went out of business years or decades ago. I'm sure that if someone was smart they could recreate those parts for about 1% the cost of an F-35 but what we are being told is that parts are not possible to obtain.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 373 Times on 254 Posts
Likes Given: 34

All I know is that I would sure like to buy a decommissoned one if they ever become availabel to civilians. They have to be a hoot to fly.