Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   AG Gonzales resigns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/ag-gonzales-resigns-1829/)

bkt 08-27-2007 05:32 PM

AG Gonzales resigns

Good news: Alberto Gonzales is out as Attorney General.

Many are on Gonzales' back with regard to the U.S. attorneys who Bush told him to fire. Dems and the media are acting like this is some unusual, improper abuse of power for political gain, counting on people being unaware that, traditionally, an incoming President fires most or all U.S. attorneys. Bush did not do that, but he is well within his legal rights to do so at any time.

However, what we should be on Gonzales' back about is illegal aliens. Bush has directed that they must not be rounded up and deported, so Gonzales, the unprincipled lap dog that he is, has complied.

The DoJ Mission Statement:
To enforce the law and defend the interests of the United States according to the law; to ensure public safety against threats foreign and domestic; to provide federal leadership in preventing and controlling crime; to seek just punishment for those guilty of unlawful behavior; and to ensure fair and impartial administration of justice for all Americans.
We have laws pertaining to border integrity and foreign nationals coming into the country illegally. These laws are not being enforced.

The Presidential Oath reads:
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Article IV Section 4 of the Constitution -- that document the President has promised to preserve, protect and defend -- reads:
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.
Illegals cause more American deaths (deliberate or accidental) each year than we lose in Iraq and Afghanistan each year. Tens of billions of dollars are sent by illegal aliens back to Mexico, and tens of billions more dollars are spent on housing, food, shelter, schooling and health care for illegals. The Mexican Government is providing their people maps, water, hiking gear, GPS units, and a booklet where to go for hand-outs once they get here.

How is this not an invasion?

Now for the bad news: Michael Chertoff might replace Gonzales.

notdku 08-27-2007 07:37 PM

There are even US based groups providing shoes that contain survival gear for free to border crossers.

I think it's getting out of control at this point. It's sad to see that our President and other politicians could care less. They just want the ethnic based votes and securing our borders would damper that.

Quasi 08-27-2007 07:46 PM

Gonzales was a crony, and not a very competent one at that. He should have left months ago and not wasted everyone's time.

bkt 08-27-2007 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku (Post 7402)
There are even US based groups providing shoes that contain survival gear for free to border crossers.

I think it's getting out of control at this point. It's sad to see that our President and other politicians could care less. They just want the ethnic based votes and securing our borders would damper that.

It's worse than that they just don't care. They are actively preventing local law enforcement from enforcing laws pertaining to immigration. They are actively permitting and encouraging foreign nationals to come to our country; we get the dregs of some third-world country while some geniuses from the rest of the world wait for up to ten years to be permitted legal entry.

This is a disgrace.

Pounce 08-29-2007 02:14 PM

It's also a dam'd shame when our border controll agents get screwed for doing their job.:mad: King George won't even give them a 'scooter' pardon. Not that they should have one in the first place.(not be in jail)

cnorman18 08-29-2007 05:50 PM

It WILL get better

For the record, Clinton fired more than NINETY US attorneys. Boy, don't you remember all the outrage over that?

...Oh, wait. There wasn't any.

As for illegals, the people are speaking, and loudly. The "shamnesty" bill was stopped in its tracks, and the consensus is that it was because of talk radio and a groundswell of protest from the voters. The politicians are beginning to sense which side of this issue they'd better get on, and fast.

As for the President's policies here--that's my single biggest gripe about him. I have no idea what his problem is. He's a Texan an he ought to know better.

Ann Coulter has a great idea that she says will end the illegal immigration problem tomorrow, and I think she might be right: offer immunity to any illegal who will testify that he's being paid below the minimum wage. Bam! The low-wage jobs dry up, the criminals who exploit the illegals change their tune or go to jail, and suddenly there's not so much reason to swim the Rio Grande. It's not the whole answer, but it's a hell of a start.

Quasi 08-29-2007 06:22 PM

I think you guys have missed the entire point of the attorney firings scandal. There is really no valid comparison with Clinton in this case. It's not that they cleaned house at the start of their administration, like Clinton and Reagan, and probably many other presidents have done.

1.) There is evidence that they selectively fired attorneys who chose not to pursue political prosecutions against Democrats before the elections.

2.) They crossed the legal line in hiring the replacement attorneys based upon their political zeal (i.e. would they be willing to prosecute folks primarily because of their political party?) This was admitted under oath by Monica Goodling and is the reason for internal DOJ criminal investigations.

3.) They (i.e. Gonzales) lied about the whole thing under oath.

4.) They illegally used Republican Party e-mail accounts to discuss their plans, so that it wouldn't be privy to sunshine laws.

Look, regardless of your party or political beliefs, I hope everyone can agree that turning the DOJ into a version of the Gestapo to prosecute based upon politics is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

bkt 08-29-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quasi (Post 7553)
I think you guys have missed the entire point of the attorney firings scandal. There is really no valid comparison with Clinton in this case. It's not that they cleaned house at the start of their administration, like Clinton and Reagan, and probably many other presidents have done.

1.) There is evidence that they selectively fired attorneys who chose not to pursue political prosecutions against Democrats before the elections.

2.) They crossed the legal line in hiring the replacement attorneys based upon their political zeal (i.e. would they be willing to prosecute folks primarily because of their political party?) This was admitted under oath by Monica Goodling and is the reason for internal DOJ criminal investigations.

3.) They (i.e. Gonzales) lied about the whole thing under oath.

4.) They illegally used Republican Party e-mail accounts to discuss their plans, so that it wouldn't be privy to sunshine laws.

Look, regardless of your party or political beliefs, I hope everyone can agree that turning the DOJ into a version of the Gestapo to prosecute based upon politics is a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Ummm...of course it was political in nature. Clinton canned all or almost all U.S. attorneys precisely because he wanted to pick those who would toe the party line.

Bush is legally at liberty to fire attorneys while he holds office and is not obliged to make his choices upon entering office.

If Gonzales lied under oath, then he should get nailed.