Afghanistan now?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Afghanistan now?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Afghanistan now?

Do any of y'all have any idea the situation in Afghanistan as of now or this year? I know we are supposed to be pulling out by the end of the year, depending on the force agreement. I haven't had much chance to follow it on the news since I don't have much access to cable and my main source of anything social or online is usually my iPhone. My main concern for all of this is, I have a really good friend who just flew out there with the Army, even though he's in the Navy and with his secret squirrel stuff, he can't say much on what he's doing except what his orders say.."Maritime Operations.." or where he is going. I didn't know if Helmand Province or the Korangal Valley or any other main areas are still as hot as they used to be?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2014, 03:00 AM   #2

Liked 2570 Times on 1671 Posts

You didn't see the new viral YouTube video of the UFO blasting the taliban camp? At least the aliens are on our side. Lmao

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 05-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 230

They are closing some FOBs and moving equipment around but still lots of troops over there. Our son has about 4 months left on his deployment. College classmate lost his son over there a couple of months ago, still not a nice place to be.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Looks like a Grumman RQ 180. Which if true is one of ours.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:03 AM   #5

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

I'll send a pm

Old 05-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6561 Times on 3657 Posts
Likes Given: 6204

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plain,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Then roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
And go to your God like a soldier."

Rudyard Kipling (A soldier of the queen)

WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3455 Times on 1933 Posts
Likes Given: 19280

According to the Constitution , Obama is not commander and chief unless there is a declared war . There has not been a declaimed war since before Viet Nam .why are we raising hell about it ?

Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6888 Times on 3461 Posts
Likes Given: 7474

Afghanistan and Iraq both are some of the best work weve done as warfighters gone really bad after. Im pretty sure few would question the fact that our nation won both conflicts hands down. Our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen performed nearly perfectly but our politicians cant take winning the war as good enough, now they expect us to also create peace. Nation Building outside of our own borders has cost us as many lives as the wars that lead to the "Peace".

Simple wars were better, go in, kick ass, leave triumphantly.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6561 Times on 3657 Posts
Likes Given: 6204

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Afghanistan and Iraq both are some of the best work weve done as warfighters gone really bad after. Im pretty sure few would question the fact that our nation won both conflicts hands down. Our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen performed nearly perfectly but our politicians cant take winning the war as good enough, now they expect us to also create peace. Nation Building outside of our own borders has cost us as many lives as the wars that lead to the "Peace".

Simple wars were better, go in, kick ass, leave triumphantly.
The whole nation building thing started right after WW2 with the Marshall plan. And it worked.

BUT,

It worked because we rebuilt Japan, Germany, and Italy into new nations based on OUR culture and values.

In diaperhead land, we tried to respect and rebuild THEIR culture. It didn't work.

Is their a lesson here??

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 05-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Do any of y'all have any idea the situation in Afghanistan as of now or this year?

Yep. Security responsibilities are being transfered to the Afghan National Army. That effort began last year. Most American combat units are expected to be withdrawn by the end of this year. There is still ongoing discussion over the number of US troops who will remain, but those who do remain will primarily be tactical advisors to ANA and special operations assets...the latter to continue operations against Al Qaeda and high-value targets.

Closed Thread