Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Afghanistan now? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/afghanistan-now-106914/)

ShagNasty1001 05-11-2014 01:29 AM

Afghanistan now?

Do any of y'all have any idea the situation in Afghanistan as of now or this year? I know we are supposed to be pulling out by the end of the year, depending on the force agreement. I haven't had much chance to follow it on the news since I don't have much access to cable and my main source of anything social or online is usually my iPhone. My main concern for all of this is, I have a really good friend who just flew out there with the Army, even though he's in the Navy :confused: and with his secret squirrel stuff, he can't say much on what he's doing except what his orders say.."Maritime Operations.." or where he is going. I didn't know if Helmand Province or the Korangal Valley or any other main areas are still as hot as they used to be?

primer1 05-11-2014 03:00 AM

You didn't see the new viral YouTube video of the UFO blasting the taliban camp? At least the aliens are on our side. Lmao

BK3220 05-11-2014 03:29 AM

They are closing some FOBs and moving equipment around but still lots of troops over there. Our son has about 4 months left on his deployment. College classmate lost his son over there a couple of months ago, still not a nice place to be.

mrm14 05-11-2014 03:37 AM

Looks like a Grumman RQ 180. Which if true is one of ours.

beaglesam 05-11-2014 04:03 AM

I'll send a pm

locutus 05-11-2014 11:38 PM

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plain,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Then roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
And go to your God like a soldier."

Rudyard Kipling (A soldier of the queen)

dango 05-13-2014 08:15 AM

According to the Constitution , Obama is not commander and chief unless there is a declared war . There has not been a declaimed war since before Viet Nam .why are we raising hell about it ?

WebleyFosbery38 05-13-2014 10:29 AM

Afghanistan and Iraq both are some of the best work weve done as warfighters gone really bad after. Im pretty sure few would question the fact that our nation won both conflicts hands down. Our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen performed nearly perfectly but our politicians cant take winning the war as good enough, now they expect us to also create peace. Nation Building outside of our own borders has cost us as many lives as the wars that lead to the "Peace".

Simple wars were better, go in, kick ass, leave triumphantly.

locutus 05-13-2014 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 (Post 1574883)
Afghanistan and Iraq both are some of the best work weve done as warfighters gone really bad after. Im pretty sure few would question the fact that our nation won both conflicts hands down. Our Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen performed nearly perfectly but our politicians cant take winning the war as good enough, now they expect us to also create peace. Nation Building outside of our own borders has cost us as many lives as the wars that lead to the "Peace".

Simple wars were better, go in, kick ass, leave triumphantly.

The whole nation building thing started right after WW2 with the Marshall plan. And it worked.

BUT,

It worked because we rebuilt Japan, Germany, and Italy into new nations based on OUR culture and values.

In diaperhead land, we tried to respect and rebuild THEIR culture. It didn't work.

Is their a lesson here??

7point62 05-13-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 (Post 1573733)
Do any of y'all have any idea the situation in Afghanistan as of now or this year?

Yep. Security responsibilities are being transfered to the Afghan National Army. That effort began last year. Most American combat units are expected to be withdrawn by the end of this year. There is still ongoing discussion over the number of US troops who will remain, but those who do remain will primarily be tactical advisors to ANA and special operations assets...the latter to continue operations against Al Qaeda and high-value targets.