Advise on a cat - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #71
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
For the Christians and Hebrews in the room, think about who was depending on those grain stores in ancient Egypt before they split the scene and the Red Sea.

Let's not even get into the impact of the European feline population on those pesky flea-borne plagues back in the day.

Cats, we OWE them.
SOOoooo how did that work out for 3/4 of the european population during the years of the plague? Not so well considering they DIED!

By your thinking we should actually be thanking and cultivating SNAKES! Maybe the hebrews/christians should be worshiping snakes. Snakes are the true rodent killers in an ecosystem.

Being a naturalist/conservationist, i do my best to try and preserve the delicate balance of nature. The sad fact is feral cats are a threat to that balance. ALL creatures of an ecosystem do a job in preserving that delicate balance....INCLUDING bears and bluebirds. Ferals upset that balance.

We agree that people need to be more responsible about their pets. Hell we got our cat neutered at 2 months old on Valentines day But alas, humans arent very adept at being responsible/doing whats right. So it falls to the likes of myself to harden my heart and do whats right.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #72
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
SOOoooo how did that work out for 3/4 of the european population during the years of the plague? Not so well considering they DIED!

By your thinking we should actually be thanking and cultivating SNAKES! Maybe the hebrews/christians should be worshiping snakes. Snakes are the true rodent killers in an ecosystem.

Being a naturalist/conservationist, i do my best to try and preserve the delicate balance of nature. The sad fact is feral cats are a threat to that balance. ALL creatures of an ecosystem do a job in preserving that delicate balance....INCLUDING bears and bluebirds. Ferals upset that balance.

We agree that people need to be more responsible about their pets. Hell we got our cat neutered at 2 months old on Valentines day But alas, humans arent very adept at being responsible/doing whats right. So it falls to the likes of myself to harden my heart and do whats right.
Problem with snakes is they can be a problem too (just look at what is happening in Florida!). Same thing that happened in Australia with the list of introduced species that Hairbear provided happened in Hawaii with rats, then the snakes to eat the rats, then mongeese to take care of the snakes. Each and every introduced species can have a serious and irreversible unintended consequence. (Oh, and pigs in Hawaii- probably a bunch more species as well).

Also with any cold blooded species the warm bloods will outbreed them 6 to 1 because the cold blooded ones have a very slow metabolism and do not kill except for food. Cats kill just for the hell of it.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1 View Post
Not trying to start a fight but that's how things are over here.
Since white man has been in Australia there's been cats, dogs, rabbits, foxes, pigs, goats, camels, donkeys, horses and buffalo released into the wild and in our rivers we've had Carp,Trout(Rainbow and Brown), Redfin(English Perch) and few other introduced species released into our waters with some detrimental effects to our native flora and fauna and native fish.
I apologize for being rude in my responses yesterday; that was not necessary or helpful to the discussion. I must have left my butthurt powder at home.

Again, my bad on the rudeness; I will try to keep my butthurt under control.

We are in different places with different issues. For one thing, i'm not aware of any cat species that were native to your area, while the U.S. had the cougar/puma/mountain lion/panther and other non-feline small predator species with very similar (to feral cats) hunting abilities and appetites. Cats in your area are probably very similar to coyotes in the southeast with few things that eat coyotes and decreasing populations of coyote prey species (except the cats I suppose).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-31-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

The ones that lived learned. There has been some significant research suggesting a strong link between feline eradication and plague severity. Some have blamed the Catholic Church for linking cats to witchcraft. http://ezinearticles.com/?Cats,-People,-and-the-Black-Plague---Those-Who-Kept-Cats-Survived&id=161249 http://www.redicecreations.com/article.php?id=11435 I should note that the Catholics have learned from their errors, as the last Pope was a noted cat fancier and feeder of feral felines (very popular activity in Rome for pest control and higher reasons)

Apparently the snakes weren't getting it done in ancient Egypt, particularly during the gathering of so many workers to build monuments. Many people here do realize and respect the anti-rodent role of non-venomous snakes, the ones that are small enough to be prey for something else in the environment. I think king snakes and such should be encouraged. Large pythons are just too big to be controlled by the predators in the FL environment. When I got rid of my last Burmese Python, I found him a good home with a serious herper who could commit to caring for him for the long haul and had adequate room and facilities to do so.

I will just have to agree to disagree on that "do whats right" part.

Maybe you just need more coyotes to eat the excess feral cats & dogs?

I still see no need for bears in the current ecosystem; just increase bag limits on elk and their other prey species.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-31-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 AM   #75
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Problem with snakes is they can be a problem too (just look at what is happening in Florida!). Same thing that happened in Australia with the list of introduced species that Hairbear provided happened in Hawaii with rats, then the snakes to eat the rats, then mongeese to take care of the snakes. Each and every introduced species can have a serious and irreversible unintended consequence. (Oh, and pigs in Hawaii- probably a bunch more species as well).

Also with any cold blooded species the warm bloods will outbreed them 6 to 1 because the cold blooded ones have a very slow metabolism and do not kill except for food. Cats kill just for the hell of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I will just have to agree to disagree on that "do whats right" part.

Maybe you just need more coyotes to eat the excess feral cats & dogs?

I still see no need for bears in the current ecosystem; just increase bag limits on elk and their other prey species.
Please see my posts regarding natures DELICATE balance. (in regards to constrictors in fla, over population of coyotes, feral cats etc)

Maybe more bears in your area could help reduce the coyote, feral cat/dog/hog and rodent populations.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!