Advise on a cat - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Very different. How stumpy are these natives, 150-160cm tall?

To be honest, if I had to watch somebody hunt and shoot a cat (not just in defense of their own pets or livestock), I would find a way to put the shooter down as well, facedown in some shallow holes.

I would suppose that people there view cats as many here view coyotes, vermin to be exterminated and targets to hone skills. Coyotes have no natural predators in this state and are only controlled by hunting, traffic, or starvation.

There is an animal charity group in the next town that traps, spays/neuters, and then releases feral cats back where they were trapped. The idea is to eliminate the next generation before it is bred while using the sterilized cats in place to keep other feral cats from moving into their territory. My sister is contacting them regarding the street cats that hang out in front of our office; we intend to boxtrap as many as possible for spay/neuter and then release. We and our clients enjoy the little beggars, and we put out food for them daily. I actually have a boxtrap in the back office to set out with the intent of catching one of my sisters a garage/outdoor cat to keep the chipmunks and moles under control.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 07-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #62
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

To be honest, if I had to watch somebody hunt and shoot a cat (not just in defense of their own pets or livestock), I would find a way to put the shooter down as well, facedown in some shallow holes.

I would suppose that people there view cats as many here view coyotes, vermin to be exterminated and targets to hone skills. Coyotes have no natural predators in this state and are only controlled by hunting, traffic, or starvation.

There is an animal charity group in the next town that traps, spays/neuters, and then releases feral cats back where they were trapped. The idea is to eliminate the next generation before it is bred while using the sterilized cats in place to keep other feral cats from moving into their territory. My sister is contacting them regarding the street cats that hang out in front of our office; we intend to boxtrap as many as possible for spay/neuter and then release. We and our clients enjoy the little beggars, and we put out food for them daily. I actually have a boxtrap in the back office to set out with the intent of catching one of my sisters a garage/outdoor cat to keep the chipmunks and moles under control.
eeeezzy there trigger. This coming from someone that believes all bears should be killed out of hand?

I have put down more than my fair share of feral cats. They are pure hell on native populations.

Now in the 'hood here, if they have a collar they get a free pass...and there have been some good sized "lions" get a free pass because i have seen them in the act of taking care of vermin.

But feral (as with hogs and/or dogs) cats can and DO become vermin in their own right.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

"Down Under" is a different place with different rules. What goes on down there isn't my problem and is admittedly beyond my understanding in many respects. I was speaking for here, in MS. I don't see me visiting OZ or NZ anytime soon, so it doesn't much matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
eeeezzy there trigger. This coming from someone that believes all bears should be killed out of hand?

I have put down more than my fair share of feral cats. They are pure hell on native populations.

Now in the 'hood here, if they have a collar they get a free pass...and there have been some good sized "lions" get a free pass because i have seen them in the act of taking care of vermin.

But feral (as with hogs and/or dogs) cats can and DO become vermin in their own right.
I've not heard of a feral cat killing a human, though i'm sure there could have been cases of rabies caused by feral cats. Bears can and do kill people and livestock; feral dogs and feral hogs and coyotes have and do kill pets and some livestock and probably a few humans here and there. I do care about people, pets, and livestock; I don't care as much about "native species", certainly not enough to take out a member of a species that has done so much for my species. Songbirds, squirrels, even rabbits mean much less to me than cats.

Shoot all the cats your conscience can handle, but you should stay out of range of me when you do and consider who else may be watching/aware. Shooting things others consider "pets" doesn't project a very positive image for hunting; imagine you and your latest cat kill on the front page of your local paper without an explanation that this was a feral kitty with a taste for bluebird blood.

Stuff like this is why people need to be responsible with their pets breeding; there are plenty of cats and dogs out there at shelters without more private breeding of non-show animals.

Last edited by orangello; 07-31-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:23 AM   #64

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Some people say that human civilization would have been impossible without cats. Why?

Because human civilization started when we had agriculture AND the ability to store grain.

Granarys could not have existed w/o cats.

W/o granaries no agricultural civilizations, w/o agriculture no industrial revolution etc etc

The love of cats is an expression of the fundamental debt humans have towards them as a species.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Some people say that human civilization would have been impossible without cats. Why?

Because human civilization started when we had agriculture AND the ability to store grain.

Granarys could not have existed w/o cats.

W/o granaries no agricultural civilizations, w/o agriculture no industrial revolution etc etc

The love of cats is an expression of the fundamental debt humans have towards them as a species.
For the Christians and Hebrews in the room, think about who was depending on those grain stores in ancient Egypt before they split the scene and the Red Sea.

Let's not even get into the impact of the European feline population on those pesky flea-borne plagues back in the day.

Cats, we OWE them.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #66

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I agree. I like to be an advocate and give a voice to those who can't speak for themselves.
After nearly a lifetime of associating with many cats, I have finally translated their language into English. All cats say ONLY ONE WORD! That word is "Hey".

It's about the inflection of the word. Think about it. Your buddy can greet you with "hey". She can warn you off with a stearn "Hey!". Or he can softly say "heeey" when he feels comfortable.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #67
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8321 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10792

Quote:
For the Christians and Hebrews in the room, think about who was depending on those grain stores in ancient Egypt before they split the scene and the Red Sea.

Let's not even get into the impact of the European feline population on those pesky flea-borne plagues back in the day.

Cats, we OWE them.
I am not in favor of killing cats outright around here as they have not become that big of a problem. I could see killing them if they became as much of a problem as they are down under though. Personally I subscribe to the trap/spay/neuter/release methods and I actively do that myself.

But do we owe them? Only as much as we white Americans "owe" reparations to blacks for the days of slavery. That's just crazy talk (aside from the fact that my family came to these shores beginning in 1890, after slavery had been abolished.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #68

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

Cats are great, there really good with ketchup or barbecue. Cats the other white meat. OK, joking aside, we use to have a cat, sam, my attack cat, when the dorbell would ring, he would go hide around a corner in the hall leading to the front door, and when a foot would pass he would attack it then run off, he became an outdoor cat at the farm then one day he never came home, don't know what happened. I cant have cats anymore to allergic to them, so now we have dogs

Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #69

Liked 375 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:

Mate these pictures aren't photo shopped if that's what your alluding to and those 2 blokes would probably be around the 6' mark.

You like cats and that's fine by me doesn't worry me actually but here cats do a lot of damage to our very unique fauna.
Just about every hunter here will shoot a feral cat without hesitation on sight and yes cats do a good job keeping rats and mice under control but when they get sick of that then lizards,birds and small marsupials become part of their varied diet.

You can desex them as much as you want but at the end of the day these feral cats will still kill to survive and I very much like our native birds and small marsupial mice,rats and possums more than somebody's cat that they've let loose because they're too soft to get it put down or sold and we also have the same problem with feral dogs that are also shot and trapped on sight.

Not trying to start a fight but that's how things are over here.
Since white man has been in Australia there's been cats, dogs, rabbits, foxes, pigs, goats, camels, donkeys, horses and buffalo released into the wild and in our rivers we've had Carp,Trout(Rainbow and Brown), Redfin(English Perch) and few other introduced species released into our waters with some detrimental effects to our native flora and fauna and native fish.

We shoot just about everything on this list and fish for all the introduced species plus our native fish.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-31-2013, 10:18 AM   #70
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
Ok so I will be getting Smoke to the vet as soon as I can and I have already got him real cat food and some flea stuff.

Almost every time he sits in my lap now he will look up at me and then gently tap me on the nose with his paw. Is he telling me something?
Best series I've ever read on animal behavior is by an Anthropoligist named Desmond Morris. His book "Catwatching" can be purchased on Amazon or downloaded here. Enjoy the read - it will make you and your cat much better able to communicate.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)