Advise on a cat - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #51
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9755

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
1st Cat "Sam", spayed female, B&W short hair, indoor/outdoor - 20 years (RIP)
2nd Cat "Scooter" spayed male, yellow, indoor/outdoor - 13+ years so far and is healthy. Yellow cats are great cats.
3rd Cat "skeeter" spayed female, long hair tortoise, indoor - 11+ years so far and healthy (loves only me)

I agree. Yellow/orange cats do have a certain personality that is just so sweet. I have an orange cat now. He makes me laugh every day and he purrs like a Harley Davidson.

Even my vet agrees orange cats have the best personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
And you do it very well by your deeds and not just your words!

How's Toby doing?
Well, speaking of cats and Toby......he is chasing my son's cat mercilessly and we are trying to problem solve this. I think my son is getting exasperated with the situation. His beloved cat is terrified. I am trying to find a solution for him by calling vets and trainers.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 AM   #52
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1104 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:

And you do it very well by your deeds and not just your words!
I set a live trap at our country home, five years or so ago. Captured two feral cats a neighbor allowed to go wild. Both jet black. One without a tail. So we call one tail cat, and the other, tailess cat. They soon became domesticated again. They were already fixed, we got them shots, good food, two litter boxes, toys, and cat beds.

At my office, I adopted a pair of Maltese fur babies. On trips home, they mingle some, but they all give the other lots of room. The cats and dogs are the same size, one pair pure white, one pair jet black. Makes for quite a contrast.

Last edited by AR10; 07-30-2013 at 07:48 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #53
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

As seen in a cat's diary:

Day 183 of my captivity...

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture.

Tomorrow I may eat another house plant. Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded -- must try this at the top of the stairs.

In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair -- must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in an attempt to make t! hem aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Hmmm, not working according to plan.

There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed insolitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured.

But I can wait, it is only a matter of time...

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
...Well, speaking of cats and Toby......he is chasing my son's cat mercilessly and we are trying to problem solve this. I think my son is getting exasperated with the situation. His beloved cat is terrified. I am trying to find a solution for him by calling vets and trainers.
Make sure there is an elevated and cat-friendly surface in all rooms in which the cat and dog could encounter each other.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
I agree. Yellow/orange cats do have a certain personality that is just so sweet. I have an orange cat now. He makes me laugh every day and he purrs like a Harley Davidson.

Even my vet agrees orange cats have the best personality.

Well, speaking of cats and Toby......he is chasing my son's cat mercilessly and we are trying to problem solve this. I think my son is getting exasperated with the situation. His beloved cat is terrified. I am trying to find a solution for him by calling vets and trainers.
Is Toby chasing the cat or trying to herd it?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-30-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
As seen in a cat's diary:

Day 183 of my captivity... ...
This just cracks me up every time I read it.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #57
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7779 Times on 4670 Posts
Likes Given: 9755

Quote:
Is Toby chasing the cat or trying to herd it?
Well, if he's trying to herd it, he's treating it as if it were a full grown steer.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 PM   #58
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8812 Times on 5096 Posts
Likes Given: 11483

Quote:
Well, if he's trying to herd it, he's treating it as if it were a full grown steer.
Damn thing is uglier than any steer I have seen. Just sayin'.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #59

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

One of ours.

image-3919674884.jpg  

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #60

Liked 412 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Fascinating how different things are towards cats here in Australia compared to the USA.
We have our cat lovers as well and a few hunters also have them as pets but there's a vast majority that will shoot a cat on sight in the bush as we have a very big feral cat problem here mostly because of people who in the past have released them into the bush because they couldn't bring themselves to have them put down or sold and so have let them go in the bush.

As we all know cats are natural predators and soon revert to their "natural" status as hunters and our unique fauna suffers accordingly with the gut contents of a lot of feral cats showing things like lizards,birds, some of our very small possums like sugar gliders and sometimes rabbits.

I have no great love of cats but will tolerate them if they're pets and well looked after and not let out at night to fend for themselves as this is when they seem to do the most damage to our native fauna.
I've shot feral cats that are the size of small dogs and 1 particular cat that my b-I-l shot years ago was as long as him(he's about 5'7").

Here's a picture of 2 cats that were taken in our Northern Territory a while back by 2 of the Aborigines and as you can see they do get a bit of size about them.

garreth_pamkal_316.jpg   garreth_pamkal_650.jpg  

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence