Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #41
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
when a cat leaves you a mouse it is a sign of either affection or wanting to show its usefulness.

Dont throw the mouse away right away in front of it
Smart, smart advice, bluez!! You need to praise the cat and act like you're happy to have the "present." Praising the pet acknowledges his work of bringing it to you and strengthens the bond between you and the animal. Place the "present" up high (out of sight) and dispose of it after the pet has wandered off.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #42

Liked 663 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 46

It's tough to beat a good buddy. Mine guards my range bag. Keeps a solid handle on it.
This little fella sat outside of work for a while and one day walking out eating a Slim Jim, he jumped in my truck and sat on my lap wanting some. I gave him some and he didn't jump out. I left the door open and he curled up in the passenger seat. Three years later, he's my little cuddly independent pal.

image-161374980.jpg

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Last edited by CourtJester; 07-30-2013 at 02:03 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #43
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7665 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 9884

All 3 of our current cats are rescues. We had them spayed and neutered. One, the oldest (male) goes outside when he escapes and mixes it up with the feral cats- which is where he came from. The two females are new, my wife wanted a black kitten, so she ended up with two of them (didn't bother asking me about it though). We hardly spend anything on them other than the initial costs of getting them shots and fixed. Buy the cheapest food we can find at Costco. If you feed them too much they will get obese and useless. Feed outside cats enough to keep them alive and they will hunt for the rest. I don't do litter boxes anymore. I was the only one who did them at all from when my wife first got pregnant until the boys started to help (which was rarely). I kept tapering off until I am no longer expected to do it. never got any thanks for doing the job anyhow (from the people or the cats).

I do like that the feral cats outside keep the rat and mice population in check. They just get fed a bit and all of them were fixed. That's the only expense there.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 AM   #44

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Only advice I have is leave him outside

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 AM   #45
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 896 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sort of the same advice as others vet, flea spray, etc. In my opinion they are not inside the house animals though. If you want him in the house let him come and go as he pleases. They are hunters and cooping them up is not natural to them, they need to roam.

Your first statement about the cat adopting you is 100% accurate though, you may think you are in charge but you are not.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #46

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Ok so I will be getting Smoke to the vet as soon as I can and I have already got him real cat food and some flea stuff.

Almost every time he sits in my lap now he will look up at me and then gently tap me on the nose with his paw. Is he telling me something?

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 07-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #47

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Oh yeah and I named him Smoke.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 07-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #48
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 896 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
Ok so I will be getting Smoke to the vet as soon as I can and I have already got him real cat food and some flea stuff.

Almost every time he sits in my lap now he will look up at me and then gently tap me on the nose with his paw. Is he telling me something?
Yeah your nose is in his way!!! Just kidding, don't try to apply too much logic to anything a cat does. If it makes sense to them they don't care if it makes sense to you, you are just the staff.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #49
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7665 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 9884

Quote:
Oh yeah and I named him Smoke.
Once you give 'em a name you are done for.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #50

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:

Yes he is..But it is a mystery just what. I had one cat that used to do that when I was asleep. Oddly enough it was always just before my alarm went off to go to work.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson