Advise on a cat - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
One of the local cats has adopted me. It's been hangin around my yard for almost 3 weeks. He was keeping the birds away from my plants so I didn't really mind. Until today he had always been really timid even for a cat. Today after mowing the lawn I sat down in my chair on the porch and he just jumped up in my lap.

I've never had a cat before or even really like cats but this one seems pretty cool. Any advise if I decide to let him stick around?
Last yr i had 2 stray cats have 8 kittens behind my house and i rescued them and tamed, was going to find homes but i got too attached. They are super fun. I recommend what everyone else says pretty much. Def have to get its shots and checkup at vet. Noone mentioned a spay and neuter clinic though. I had 5 of mine fixed at clinic for $70 a piece verses $250 at vet for a reg office visit then spay which is ridiculous imo. Especially when u have so many. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Most of ours live to be about 14-15. We had one live to be 18, almost 19.
It's funny, cause I read somewhere that indoor cats live to be 7, and outdoor cats live to be 4.
All of ours are outdoor, so we pretty much destroyed that "statistic."
1st Cat "Sam", spayed female, B&W short hair, indoor/outdoor - 20 years (RIP)
2nd Cat "Scooter" spayed male, yellow, indoor/outdoor - 13+ years so far and is healthy. Yellow cats are great cats.
3rd Cat "skeeter" spayed female, long hair tortoise, indoor - 11+ years so far and healthy (loves only me)

Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I agree. I like to be an advocate and give a voice to those who can't speak for themselves.
And you do it very well by your deeds and not just your words!

How's Toby doing?

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1750 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

Another reason I like this forum.. We know guns ..... AND we know cats.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Congratulations! Feed it, encourage it to sleep on your back porch or in the garage, and take it to the vet for some maintenance as needed. Flea treatments and rabies shots make them more feeder-friendly.

There are four ferals out front of the office right now. We put out food in the morning and speak to them when we pass. The clients seem to like them. I do have a trap here today to catch one of the kittens out back for my sister's garage (chipmunk problem).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #36

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Stage 1. I'll just pick up a bag of dry food for it

Stage 2. I'll buy it some wet cat food for .35c a can

Stage 3. I'll make it a house in the barn

And then before long it's downstairs sleeping on your couch

image-3316390540.jpg

And then they start leaving "presents" at your door

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #37

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

when a cat leaves you a mouse it is a sign of either affection or wanting to show its usefulness.

Dont throw the mouse away right away in front of it

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #38

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
most my cats lived to be over 15. had one live 25.
We have one cat here that is turning 18 here soon. The wife has had it since it was a kitten. The amazing part is the animal has probable been in the house combines maybe a day. Most outside cats only live an average of 3 years.
I have two inside cats that come and go as they please. Both are about 10. "Free" cats that I couldn't see going to a shelter so I took them. One of those "free cats" just cost me 300 bucks to get a broke leg wired and pinned. There is no such thing as a free cat But He's my buddy so I had to get him fixed up. He will fetch paper wads I toss and both he and his brother use the toilet.

Living in the country we end up with a bunch of cats around the house. But I can say I have not seen a living rat, mouse, mole or other vermin within 100 yards of the house in any direction in years. Rabbits are starting to get close again for the first timer in years. But I thik that has more to do with my aid in the cotote population as it does the cats. But they do like to hunt them too.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #39

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
Stage 1. I'll just pick up a bag of dry food for it

Stage 2. I'll buy it some wet cat food for .35c a can

Stage 3. I'll make it a house in the barn

And then before long it's downstairs sleeping on your couch

Attachment 111884

And then they start leaving "presents" at your door
That cat looks like our old outside cat. Man I like the way they look.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
We have one cat here that is turning 18 here soon. The wife has had it since it was a kitten. The amazing part is the animal has probable been in the house combines maybe a day. Most outside cats only live an average of 3 years.
I have two inside cats that come and go as they please. Both are about 10. "Free" cats that I couldn't see going to a shelter so I took them. One of those "free cats" just cost me 300 bucks to get a broke leg wired and pinned. There is no such thing as a free cat But He's my buddy so I had to get him fixed up. He will fetch paper wads I toss and both he and his brother use the toilet.

Living in the country we end up with a bunch of cats around the house. But I can say I have not seen a living rat, mouse, mole or other vermin within 100 yards of the house in any direction in years. Rabbits are starting to get close again for the first timer in years. But I thik that has more to do with my aid in the cotote population as it does the cats. But they do like to hunt them too.
LMAO!! "Puppy cat", thats what i call him because he thinks hes a dog, comes and goes as he please as well...but stays in his yard. When he was a kitten we got a shoulder harness (for a tiny dog) and he was let out on the dog run (wire) since the dog wasnt using it (he has learned his boundries and no longer requires tied up). He goes to the door and mews to go when he needs to do his business etc. JUST like a dog.

Hes a killer! I think he would have killed the dog if he could figure out what to do with that 100 lb body...i also think that goes for the wife and kids as well. GLAD he LOVES me!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!