Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advise on a cat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

He will be an outside cat.

His claws aren't trimmed so I think he is just a stray.

How much does it generally cost to get all of the shots and to get him snipped?

imag0458.jpg  

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8407 Times on 3643 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

We have had cats since we were married. They will clear the yard of moles, are hell on mice, and have kept our babies company. I really do think that cats reflect the personality of their owners- ours have always been very laid back little folks- others have high strung, somewhat neurotic cats.

Sounds as is you have a pet that got dumped or lost. As said, if you are going to put cat on payroll, get him/her signed up for bennies.

Frontline Flea & Tick- it is about 4-5 drops, packed in a unit dose applicator, apply one to the back of the neck each month, no fleas. Not cheap, works. Get it from your vet, or order it on line. Get cat to vet for shots, neutering (especially if girl, or you will be up to your armpits in kittens)

Our cats are mainly outdoor, but if they come in the house, have a litter box. Since they lack opposable thumbs, they cannot open the door to go out. You will learn that each cat has a personality. My boy likes to wrestle, roughhouse a bit- his sister- runt of the litter and half his size, is the demure little lady that wants to sit on my shoulder and watch what I am doing. Thunderstorm? They want to be about 6 inches away from the boss.

Will give you fair warning- you will get attached more than you think. And part of the problem with life- some folks last too long, and most pets don't.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5302 Times on 2768 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
One of the local cats has adopted me. It's been hangin around my yard for almost 3 weeks. He was keeping the birds away from my plants so I didn't really mind. Until today he had always been really timid even for a cat. Today after mowing the lawn I sat down in my chair on the porch and he just jumped up in my lap.

I've never had a cat before or even really like cats but this one seems pretty cool. Any advise if I decide to let him stick around?
have it spayed or neutered. asap. dont declaw. cats need their claws. declawing a cat is like defingering a human.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-29-2013 at 02:51 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #14

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And part of the problem with life- some folks last too long, and most pets don't.
I like that. Mind if I share it?
Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Nomad, claws grow very fast, even when trimmed. Also, many pets turn feral within 6-8 weeks of being dumped, so he obviously is not far from either a dump or someone that took care of him.

I agree with the others - first step is a vet for scanning and shots. Feed him in a garage or shed, if you don't want him indoors because cat food left outside attracts every other neighborhood cat. Also a spay or neuter clinic should make him less dangerous to the rest of the neighborhood. The initial vet visit and spay clinic will probably be your biggest outlay - after that its frontline for fleas once a month and shots once a year.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #16

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A note: if you tell the clinic it's a stray you're taking in and taking care of, they may give you a discount on spay or neutering costs, and possibly even shots. I've heard of some doing it for free "for a limited time" under these circumstances.

You may possibly even be able to take it to the local shelter or humane society, explain the situation, and receive a voucher or coupon.

Always worth a try in saving a few bucks.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 889 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Quote:
NOODERING

I'm going to add this to my quip of repartee's

Become steel or get cut.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19942 Times on 11332 Posts
Likes Given: 50270

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
have it spayed or neutered. asap. dont declaw. cats need their claws. declawing a cat is like defingering a human.
the only way i would ever suggest declawing is a cat that would never under any reasons to go outside and was an only pet. one of the cats we gave my MIL, we had declawed and fixed. he is the only pet she has and is spoiled rotten!

if they are outside pets or have to share space with other pets, never get them declawed.
People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 889 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
He will be an outside cat.

His claws aren't trimmed so I think he is just a stray.

How much does it generally cost to get all of the shots and to get him snipped?
Take care of him, provide him a comfy warm space inside, allow him free access in and out of your house. Also have a litter box inside for him. Get him fixed before he starts Tom catting around.

Become steel or get cut.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 04:42 AM   #20
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 878 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Cats are good for your karma. Take care of him, and the universe will reciprocate.

There is another thread on charity. This is the best charity going, taking an interest in tiny creatures .