Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Advise on a cat (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/advise-cat-94593/)

bigbomar4 07-29-2013 01:23 AM

Advise on a cat

One of the local cats has adopted me. It's been hangin around my yard for almost 3 weeks. He was keeping the birds away from my plants so I didn't really mind. Until today he had always been really timid even for a cat. Today after mowing the lawn I sat down in my chair on the porch and he just jumped up in my lap.

I've never had a cat before or even really like cats but this one seems pretty cool. Any advise if I decide to let him stick around?

fmj 07-29-2013 01:29 AM

Well, it sounds to me the flealine has made up your mind for you.

If hes doing his job (killing pests) i would say you reciprocate with shots, flea treatments and dinner.

I dislike cats, but i have one here that for whatever reason LOVES me....he kills mice, when he runs out of mice to kill goes after squirells, rabbits, cicadas, whatever. So he gets flea treatments and healthcare for his work.

Zombiegirl 07-29-2013 01:55 AM

Cats are great! You should let him stick around. Cats don't like everybody and it obviously has taken a shine to you.

Axxe55 07-29-2013 02:09 AM

cats are somewhat different than dogs in who they get close to. a dog, pretty much as long as your nice to them, feed them they can cozy up to just about anyone. cats are more apt to them choosing you, rather than you choosing them.

but it sounds like he's already decided on choosing your! feed him, love him and show him some affection, and he'll be a close companion!:D

gr8oldguy 07-29-2013 02:13 AM

I've had cats for years. They make great pets and are beneficial in keeping the critter population in your yard under control. good luck

Rick1967 07-29-2013 02:20 AM

My wife and my son both have cats. They are great animals. They require little care. If you let him in the house you will need a litter box. If you do not let him in, you wont have to worry about it. Give him a can of cat food or some tuna. If you are going to become his owner you should get him his shots. Cats are not expensive to take care of. I really like both of ours.

bobski 07-29-2013 02:20 AM

they are great comfort and wonderful pets, and will break your heart when they get sick and die.
had over 400 in my lifetime.

feed it, it will stick around. dont feed it and it will leave.
if you can afford it, enjoy it.
bring it to a vet and get it shots.
destemper
rabies
worm him and flee wash him.
check for ear mites.
have the vet scan it to see if it has an owner chip i.d. in it.
brush him once a day.
feed him twice a day.
if hes going to be an outdoor cat, give him shelter in a shed etc...
check to see if its a stray indoor cat that got out by checking for de-clawed paws. declawed? bring him in and keep him in at night. he cant defend himself by climbing. poop box is next and a beddy.
flee drops monthly.
make surehe gets some form of fish oil to keep coat shiney.
wash him every 3 months or when stinky.
check for ear mites weekly.
if its a girl, keep her away from males or guess what?
IF YOU HAVE A BOY, NOODERING WONT KEEP HIM FROM SPRAYING.
the longer you are around cats, the less you will smell him. but restassure, others will!!!!
plan on 4 to 5 grand in care for 4 years.
dogsare 7-10 grand and are 100% HIGHER MAINT.
enjoy your cat!

trip286 07-29-2013 02:26 AM

I hate cats. But it seems like this one is proving to be more of a benefit than a nuisance. As said, any good employer makes sure their employees have food, the means to get food, and healthcare. The cat's working for you apparently, providing a service, if you will. Only fair to make his efforts worthwhile.

buckhuntr 07-29-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1318676)
Cats are not expensive to take care of.

Unless your wife decides to give the Persian kitty a haircut with scissors, and you end up at a pet hospital... On a Sunday... After 5pm. :eek::(
I think that one cost $300...

Rick1967 07-29-2013 02:44 AM

Wow Bobski...that is a lot more than we do. Our cats go to the vet once a year to get a check up and shots. That is it unless they get sick. We buy dry cat food and use a dispenser. They eat it at their leisure. One of the cats is old. He is about 12 or so. He is my son's cat. He requires a very expensive cat food. He has something like Irritable Bowel but for a cat. There is nothing the vet can do. My son cuts up a piece of chicken breast for him once a day. That is like their "father and son time". LOL. Jackson (cat) sees my son (Daniel) grab a knife and a plate and he comes running.

Even with the special care my son's cat gets we don't spend anywhere near $1000 a year.