Advice good and bad....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Advice good and bad....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default Advice good and bad....

Ok So I started the "Why are Browning Rifles so expensive" trying to get some rifle talk going. It is going I guess.

Now I don't know everything (I know shocking right).

I know that everyone here wishes they could slap a $1500 scope on every scoped rifle they own. Weather it was a European or American. We all for the most part know that quality glass cost money. What I hat are the people how say buy XXX brand because it is the best it cost $1500. Ok dude he just said he budget is $500 but your in here telling him to go spend 3 times that on a scope. How stupid can you be. I dunno I guess I read the OP then analyze the problem or question and research it a little then answer the poster. I understand that not everyone can afford even the rifles I own. Thats cool, this is a hobby it should come after taking care of your bills, family, and anything else that is a NEED. Some on here have wants and needs mixed up. From the looks of the economy there are hundreds of thousands of people who forget needs come before wants. I want a Mossberg 44us right now but, the money just isn't in the budget. So I wait. I should have bought one from the CMP for $175 but I didn't so now I have to buy one for $300. Not a big deal. When the bills are paid and the kids are taken care of i will get my new rifle.

Back on topic again sorry about the detour. We got some guy in the browning thread saying $750 for a scope is cheap. No it is not you effing moron. maybe for you you have the money to spend 3 times that on just a scope but not everyone can. So STFU and deal with it that not everyone is 40 single no kids and like to charge everything on their credit card.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #2

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'd rather put my money in stuff that matters like barrels and triggers. A 1000 dollar rifle with a 200 dollar scope is still going to shoot circles around a 400 dollar rifle with a 700 dollar scope. and will keep up with another 1000 dollar rifle with a 1000 dollar scope. I know, I've been there, done that. Most people don't need that much scope or rifle either for that matter.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The VCA (vagitarians club of America) said they would overlook my occasional sushi feast, but if i was to spend more than $200, at the most, on a scope, they would kick me out for sure. Seriosly though, in MS with all the clutter & undergrowth, I just couldn't justify spending much on something i won't need. Tough luck prairie peeps.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
in MS with all the clutter & undergrowth, I just couldn't justify spending much on something i won't need.
Where in Ms. are you? I'm above Laurel. Originally from a little further North in the state. Grew up making 300 yd+ shots across soybean fields with old 06's and Bushnell Banner scopes.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Where in Ms. are you? I'm above Laurel. Originally from a little further North in the state. Grew up making 300 yd+ shots across soybean fields with old 06's and Bushnell Banner scopes.
I'm West of Laurel. I grew up down here in the piney woods. I did work up at the Delta's tip for a while, but i don't think that the Delta is really representational of the state. (That whole slaw on the BBQ sandwich thing is just weird, IMO. not to include pipeline right-of-ways)

Last edited by orangello; 08-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

QUOTE: not everyone is 40 single no kids and like to charge everything on their credit card.

Indeed, good point Tango. To many people are trying to keep up with the Johnson's, when the Johnson's have all the money to spend and you don't. Someday you may get to where the Johnson's are financially, but until then, spending outside your means to satisfy one's ego will eventually cause problems somewhere down the line.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder. If it is reasonable in price, will not break your budget, cause marital problems, does what it's intended to do and you are satisfied with it, then buy it. Lesser quality and expense, does not necessarily mean lesser performance.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
(That whole slaw on the BBQ sandwich thing is just weird, IMO. not to include pipeline right-of-ways)
I like slaw on BBQ but not that ground up chit like KFC sells. I've also got a pipe line running thru my yard.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #8

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I find it difficult to reply to a post where the OP states "I have $200 to spend on a good carry pistol." and be realistic! That is like saying I have $1000 to spend on a good transportation vehicle!! I realize some folks (me included) have a budget but there are limits to the miracles we can find to help these poor souls out. At sometime, we need to make the point that you won't get the best XX, but you will get the best YY for the money.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
I find it difficult to reply to a post where the OP states "I have $200 to spend on a good carry pistol." and be realistic! That is like saying I have $1000 to spend on a good transportation vehicle!! I realize some folks (me included) have a budget but there are limits to the miracles we can find to help these poor souls out. At sometime, we need to make the point that you won't get the best XX, but you will get the best YY for the money.
Agreed but when someone give you a budget and ask for the best scope in that range then why are you (By you I mean other people) telling him to buy something that is 3 to 4 times that budget. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:37 PM   #10

If there is nothing worth having within a poster's budget, then the right answer is "save up some more money", not pay 3x what you have.
Tom