Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > advice for going to bootcamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand_Squid View Post
There's a lot of good advise.
- If your not in shape get in shape. If your in good shape get in better shape. Round is not a good shape for a military person
- Wouldn't hurt to bring a phone card with you for those few times you get a phone privilege.
- Practice your shooting positions especially the prone position with your breathing. I'm sure you can find someone to teach you or give pointers. Big thing is to get the back stretched out.
- You will screw up; own it. You will get more respect for it no excuses. You will get, as the army says, smoked just deal with it and move on.
- I've volunteered for stuff in bootcamp some fun some not so fun. There looking for someone who is willing to step up. Sign of good leadership if you want to lead. My Company Commanders (Navy DI) put me in for E3 after bootcamp and got it. Every bit of rank helps = $$$$, & leadership.
- I'm in the Navy my rate (MOS) is Master-at-Arms (Military Police/ Anti Terrorism) I've seen a lot of kids and yes I did say kids come into the MP job wearing a badge and a gun thinking there above everyone which will get you into trouble. Remember "Protect and Serve" not to screw your fellow solder over every chance you get.
- How long are you going to stay in?
I could go on & on giving my .02¢ worth. If you want some more I'll gladly offer it.
I want to stay in for 20 years and I would like any and all advise good or bad

Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #72

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zschneider

I want to stay in for 20 years and I would like any and all advise good or bad
-Keep a copy of all your "MEDICAL & SERVICE" records in a secure place!!! Can't stress that enough. All the vets will back me up on that!!
-Get all the schooling you can i.e College or Army stuff.
-The Navy (I'm pretty sure all the other branched too) there is a "Performance to Serve" which means if you don't make rank within a certain time frame the Army won't let you re-up. Check into that.
-When you do make rank train someone to take your place. Someone higher than you should be doing the same thing.
-If your under 21 don't drink!! That's a good carrier buster. When you do reach 21 don't be stupid while drinking. Like I said it's a good carrier buster. Yes this does happen don't get caught into it. Someone under 21 drinking it's your responsibility to tell them "No". Yes you will seem like an A-hole but I'm sure the stripes you earn mean more than the person drinking. You'll learn more about that when you get in.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM   #73

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zschneider View Post
I am going 31 b
It was 95b when I was in, (1969-71). I liked the tactical side of the job, and the fact that I was able to sleep in a bunk most nights. But like some others have said, don't think that arm band/badge turns you into Superman. That's a shortcut to an ass-kicking. Learn the job, use you head and you'll be fine. Just get used to the idea some people will dislike you intensely simply because of those two letters on your left arm.

Last edited by Donn; 02-04-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #74

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post

It was 95b when I was in, (1969-71). I liked the tactical side of the job, and the fact that I was able to sleep in a bunk most nights. But like some others have said, don't think that arm band/badge turns you into Superman. That's a shortcut to an ass-kicking. Learn the job, use you head and you'll be fine. Just get used to the idea some people will dislike you intensely simply because of those two letters on your left arm.
People dislike me now it doesn't bother me what people thank about me