Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > advice for going to bootcamp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Shiney Bugs , a beautiful thing ..!
The cockroach that got it didn't think it was beautiful
Old 02-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #62

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok I graduated from fort lost in the woods back in 2004. First thing where do you currently live. The climate change may be an issue you can prepare for mentally (I am from florida and went in the winter. You refer to your instructors as drill sgt and only drill sgt. It has been stated dont volunteer and get in good shape. That is sound advise. What will your mos be? There could be more specific advise I could give if you are going to be a 21b.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #63

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1985al View Post
Ok I graduated from fort lost in the woods back in 2004. First thing where do you currently live. The climate change may be an issue you can prepare for mentally (I am from florida and went in the winter. You refer to your instructors as drill sgt and only drill sgt. It has been stated dont volunteer and get in good shape. That is sound advise. What will your mos be? There could be more specific advise I could give if you are going to be a 21b.
I am going 31 b
Old 02-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zschneider View Post
I am going 31 b
Forgive me, I was USAF. Google tells me that means MP.
Keep an eye on your hat size. It's been my observation that young USAF Security Forces types suffer from acute head swelling on occasion. It seems to subside a bit once they reach E-5. I've seen similar swelling in Navy Shore Patrol members. Army MPs probably aren't completely immune.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #65

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango
Don't know what boot they issue these days ,but if they are still all leather , soak them over night in water and wear them dry , no blisters..!
Our drill Sargent marched up over to the mess hall where we all filled our boots with hotter then heck water, let it soak for 5 minutes, then laced those hot wet boots up and wore them all day. I thought he has lost his mind, but that was the best fitting pair of boots I ever had. Dango is right - no blisters!!

Old 02-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 765 Times on 401 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Congrats and thank-you for serving the country. Having said that it is Army boot camp so it's like going on a picnick with your family.

USMC 74-78

Old 02-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1765

Don't let the bastards grind you down..... eat all the **** they dish out and ask for more...... once you prove that you can out perform your DI and the rest of the grunts you'll be on easy street.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 PM   #68

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Like the above statement. If you get a good mindset and enjoy the suck it's a breeze. Have a good attitude and be willing to learn. Even when you're not motivated, false motivation eventually turns into real motivation.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 1765

Default The where withall......

Look at it this way, it's every thing your parents and esp. your mother should have taught you whilst you were growing up.........Have fun on the range......We want to see your scores........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #70

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

There's a lot of good advise.
- If your not in shape get in shape. If your in good shape get in better shape. Round is not a good shape for a military person
- Wouldn't hurt to bring a phone card with you for those few times you get a phone privilege.
- Practice your shooting positions especially the prone position with your breathing. I'm sure you can find someone to teach you or give pointers. Big thing is to get the back stretched out.
- You will screw up; own it. You will get more respect for it no excuses. You will get, as the army says, smoked just deal with it and move on.
- I've volunteered for stuff in bootcamp some fun some not so fun. There looking for someone who is willing to step up. Sign of good leadership if you want to lead. My Company Commanders (Navy DI) put me in for E3 after bootcamp and got it. Every bit of rank helps = $$$$, & leadership.
- I'm in the Navy my rate (MOS) is Master-at-Arms (Military Police/ Anti Terrorism) I've seen a lot of kids and yes I did say kids come into the MP job wearing a badge and a gun thinking there above everyone which will get you into trouble. Remember "Protect and Serve" not to screw your fellow solder over every chance you get.
- How long are you going to stay in?

I could go on & on giving my .02¢ worth. If you want some more I'll gladly offer it.