Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Advice From Former LEO'S??? Please?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/advice-former-leos-please-56265/)

TimL2952 01-25-2012 01:34 AM

Advice From Former LEO'S??? Please??

Alright, I'd have to say my dream job is working for the FBI in the linguistics department. But I would even consider local police a great job.

I am currently a Criminal Justice major with a minor in Spanish.

what advice do you former LEO's have to give me a one up on the competition???

I'm a pretty clean nosed kid...don't drink or do drugs...only smoke the occasional cigar.

JonM 01-25-2012 01:41 AM

if there is a local pd that allows ride alongs hit em up. some pd's also utilize volunteer help. secondly volunteeer fire department. make sure your first aid cert is valid along with cpr and other life saving certs. having a valid life guard cert doesnt hurt. the more certifications you have before you apply the more a leg up you have.

a lot of em are free or nearly free to do.

physical fitness is a must. once your hired and out of rookieness then you can eat donuts like the fat roadcops and detectives do heh.

c3shooter 01-25-2012 01:52 AM

+100 on what he said up there ^^^

Durangokid 01-25-2012 02:08 AM

You are a candidate for the U.S. Border Patrol.:)

TimL2952 01-25-2012 04:56 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. I know a few NY State Troopers back home...but I'm pretty much all alone out here in Missouri. Border Patrol was a first round choice for me...but have to admit...being from the North...the heat is just unbearable..went to San Antonio for a shoot once...almost died lol

Working on a diet and getting back into shape...after football my junior year of higschool it was all downhill. 3 years and 30 pounds late here I am...

Durangokid 01-25-2012 06:14 AM

In case you don't know we have a Northern Border also. Its very long. The Border Patrol is in NY, Montana, Washington and every state along the way. ICE is located in every state in the Union.:) Federal retirement is better than most states and cities. The pay is good as are the benefits.:)

TimL2952 01-25-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durangokid (Post 688715)
In case you don't know we have a Northern Border also. Its very long. The Border Patrol is in NY, Montana, Washington and every state along the way. ICE is located in every state in the Union.:) Federal retirement is better than most states and cities. The pay is good as are the benefits.:)

I imagined they wouldn't be rushing to find spanish speaking leo's at the northern border. I live just outside of Niagara Falls, NY and have gone to Canada quite a few times...and come to think about it...Border Patrol is EVERYWHERE...even 40-45 miles away from the border.

ScottA 01-25-2012 03:43 PM

I don't know how accurate the show that Discovery was running about the border patrol, but it was mind boggling what those guys have to deal with. You're special forces one day and social worker the next.

Chandler51 01-25-2012 04:56 PM

Friend of mine who is now a SGT with his agency worked as a dispatcher while in school. It gave him insight to the job, and contact with the LEO's gave him a first hand look at how they conducted business, and themselves for that matter.

Said that helped him at first as much as anything.

purehavoc 01-25-2012 05:28 PM

I dont imagine its too hard to speak canadian is it , Eehhh :D