Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > advice on enlistment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 378 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
What would be the best mos to start in to work you're way into sniper school?or into the rangers? Id like to either retire in the military or come home and try to get into a SWAT team or something
Infantry....

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 12-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #32

Liked 378 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm49007 View Post
The only down side to the army vs the marine corps is the uniforms IMO the corps has the best uniforms across the board.

I agree my entire Army career I've always envious of the USMC uniforms.
I think the much maligned current Army ACU's are actually superior for urban combat (where most of the action is) since the MARPAT (sp?) are a bit too dark for the concrete jungle.

But they do look so much better all around.

I am not being sarcastic I really think the USMC uniforms always looked better.

The current USMC uniform reminds me of the German Flecktarn which is not a bad thing either.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 01-01-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:00 AM   #33

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I've been out of the Army for just over a year and if you want to be a Ranger, which is slightly more realistic than a sniper, you do have to be airborne. However, airborne can be written in as part of your contract. Once you get to your unit you can ask to be sent to Ranger school by way of certain pre-requisites and paperwork. Also, while infantry is not to be insulted as a career, nobody I know has stayed infantry their whole career. Look into something that will help you in the civilian world. I was a 15E, which is an unmanned aircraft systems repairer/maintainer and i even got a couple certifications and an associates degree out of it.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #34
Big TOW

Liked 4543 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 4670

Picking an MOS starts with your score on the ASVAB. According to how well you do, the choices come from that. As far as Infantry goes, its a great job if thats what your into but as others pointed out, there are lots of Combat Arms MOS's that are not Crunchies that you could consider.

Shoot for the stars but remember, once you sign and raise your hand, thats what your gonna be for awhile unless you dont make the cut, then they choose for you! The SF' type jobs are very challenging to make it to graduation day, some lose most of their class before your pinned (if your pinned). Not trying to talk you out of anything, just bringing reality to the table for a second.

In 21 years, I had 4 MOS's other than our common Primary, 11Bang bang-Infantry; O5B Radio Op, 05C Radio Teletype Op, 92A PLL TAMMS Clerk and 11H-Anti Armor. I liked most of them pretty well, each had their good and bad points, each one was very different than the other. In the end, they all added to my potential Civilian Career Path in ways I had never imagined, mostly good.

Start by making sure you keep your nose clean and your grades as high as you can, those are the most important precursors to getting in and having real choices. Good luck,

Old 12-31-2012, 09:02 AM   #35

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Join the military police!!

When you get out, join the ATF

Help stop the madness.

Plus cops are going to be the only legal gun owners after Biden-Stein is done...

Old 12-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #36

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscarrying View Post
if you want to be a Ranger, which is slightly more realistic than a sniper, you do have to be airborne.
Airborne's not a Ranger requirement. SF yes, Ranger no. If you are airborne qualified, you will have to make more jumps in Ranger school, one of which will be into the swamp in 3rd Phase, (If you make it that far). While today's Army basic training's kinder and gentler than it was in 1969 when I went in, Airborne and Ranger training are still ball busters. My son looked like he just got out of a concentration camp when he got his Ranger tab. If you don't listen to anything anyone suggests here, DO get in shape. Run, get your endurance up and weight down.

Last edited by Donn; 12-31-2012 at 11:19 AM.