Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > advice on enlistment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 168 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 20

First I would check out the Army Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) and see what jobs might be of interest to you. Infantry sounds great until you deploy to some god forsaken third world country like Vietnam,and Iraq. Been there, done that and it was not fun. Airborne and Ranger training is good while you are young, but you are not young very long......I would suggest you pick a MOS that will benefit you when you return to civilian life. The Army has many jobs in the medical field that are always needed in the civilian world, medical equipment repair and X-Ray technician to name just two needed in my area. I spent the majority of my time in Aircraft maintenance and Avionics and assigned to mostly Airborne Divisions, 11th, 82nd and 101st. During my career I was very fortunate to have been allowed to further my education and to attend many advanced Non Commissioned Officer (NCO) schools. When I retired, based on my military training/experience, I was hired by a very large jet engine manufacturing company as a International Program manager and again traveled to those god forsaken third world countries.
Bottom line; pick the job training that will better meet your needs if at all possible, not the needs of the Army. The military will be a drastic change in your life and being in a job that you don't like will make it far worse. Oh yes, someone mentioned MOS 18X Special Forces and I am sure that is the perfect job for some but not all. LOL

For the listing of jobs google; Army Military Occupational Specialties

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #22

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97

I want to be infantryman and work my way up to either sniper or maybe rangers.
Get to a unit after basic and AIT and the try out for the scout platoon. If you make it, that element will send you to sniper and ranger school.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #23

Liked 123 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

I have a nephew who decided that he wanted to become a heavy equipment operator, so when he came to me to ask which service would provide the best training for that specialty, I told him anybody except Marines or Coast Guard.

Imagine our dismay when he enlisted into the Marines. His recruiter told him the Marines had heavy equipment he could operate.

After Boot Camp and Infantry school, he was assigned to drive LVTP-7's. He complained so much about how the Corp had rooked him, his Company Sergeant (E-7?) attached a dozer blade to the front of his track, then told him to shut up and soldier!

Four years later when his enlistment was up, he left the Marines a little wiser...

eldar

Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #24

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Never trust what your recruiter says, only Trust what he puts in writing! Think of a used car salesman in a uniform
Easy killer. I never lied to anyone plus the number of people trying to get into the service is a recruiters dream these days. They don't have to work hard at all to meet their quota. To the OP I was a USMC recruiter in 02-05 things haven't changed that much as far as requirements but if you have any questions feel free.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM   #25

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post

Easy killer. I never lied to anyone plus the number of people trying to get into the service is a recruiters dream these days. They don't have to work hard at all to meet their quota. To the OP I was a USMC recruiter in 02-05 things haven't changed that much as far as requirements but if you have any questions feel free.
Ya you just mastered the art of omission Gunny....you even admit it

Old 12-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Marines offer combat jobs that benefit you OUT of the Corps. I.e. 0360-combat constructional medalist(my main MOS) or combat engineers. ALWAYS GET YOUR MOS IN WRITEN BEFORE YOU SHIP OUT!!!!! Get in top physical shape now and don't ever stop workin out.
Did you mistype? The only mos that has an 036 in it is an 0369 which is an Infantry Unit Leader and you have to be a SSgt. It's a feeder MOS so all the grunts go into it. Welders have a MOS of 1316 and combat engineer is a 1371. EOD is a 2336, so I'm confused here.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #27

Quote:

Did you mistype? The only mos that has an 036 in it is an 0369 which is an Infantry Unit Leader and you have to be a SSgt. It's a feeder MOS so all the grunts go into it. Welders have a MOS of 1316 and combat engineer is a 1371. EOD is a 2336, so I'm confused here.
Yes I did. Sorry Gunny. 1316 was my MOS. Damn keboard on my phone is screwy at times....touch screens are a pain at times.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Yes I did. Sorry Gunny. 1316 was my MOS. Damn keboard on my phone is screwy at times....touch screens are a pain at times.
It's keyboard with a y

Member:

Old 12-30-2012, 04:33 AM   #29

Quote:

It's keyboard with a y
Ya ya ya I know smartass

Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 AM   #30

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My only advice to you is this, if you mainly want to join to benefit from college...stay away from combat arms. Find a MOS that you can benefit from in the civilian world. Good luck.

-Carl-

"Music hath charm to soothe the savage beast...but I'd try a shotgun first."