Advice from any current LEOs Out There
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Advice from any current LEOs Out There

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Advice from any current LEOs Out There

Ok.

I'm putting in an application to be a volunteer Sheriff's Deputy in my area. I have experience in regards to the military side of LE (8 months as an MP because the normal USAF cops left for Iraq). I also have training in trauma, and field first aid.

With that said, I do realize that civilian LE work is a completely different animal when compared to Military Police, so any tips will do nothing but help me in the end.

If I get selected, I'll have about 110 hours worth of training before I can get on the street, so to speak.

Feel free to PM me if you guys feel more comfortable with that.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2009, 12:19 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

They will teach you all they want you to know. The reserve officer's academy is tailor made to get you comfortable with your department and their procedures.

*tip* While in training, you will likely have the opportunity to do ride alongs. Do not hesitate to jump into the middle of a scuffle between your officer and a perp. Standing there with your thumb in your ass will get you branded and universally disliked. Seen it happen.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10748 Times on 4650 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

That about sums it up. Would suggest you rent the movie Police Academy, study the character of Eugene Tackleberry, and do the opposite! (Yes, we used to see some real Rambos now and again)

Take good notes at the Academy. While marksmanship is important, being able to take a report of vandalism to a car is also important- and one that you will be doing a LOT more frequently than shooting bank robbers.

Re: ridealongs- friend that was an FTO used to hand his ridealongs a baton- and explain that if HE woke up in hospital, Mr. Ridealong better be there to hand him the splintered remains of the baton.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:05 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The reserve/intermittent academy will teach you everything you need to know down to the basics. Sometimes it seemed like high school all over. Its a tough time to get into law enforcement right now, at least in MA. I graduated from the academy almost a year ago, and I haven't gotten on a dept. The average time between graduating and getting hired is 18 months, who knows how long it will be with the way things are going right now.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 02-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3458 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 374

August 1 will mark 25 years in LE for me. I could probably go on for days (Hell, months) about things to do and not do.
1. Be honest. To others and yourself. A wise man (former Texas Ranger) had a plaque on his desk that said "if you tell the truth the first time, you won't have to remember what story you told"

2. Learn. Every day, every situation is a learning experience. Every person you meet has something to teach you. The day you die is the day you stop learning.

3. Be open minded. Get as much information as possible before making a decision.

4. If you have to use force, strike quickly and get the situation over as soon as possible. The longer a physical encounter goes, the more likely someone will get hurt. If you take someone down and they get a cut, that is far better than pu$$y footing around and ending up having to kill him.