advice about kids!

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > advice about kids!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Default advice about kids!

So ive got a little situation with my four year old daughter. For the past week or so she has been holding in her poop till she has a small accident. She has been perfectly potty trained for 1 1/2 years. Ive tried everything..... bribes, punishment, you name it. I started her on mira lax about 4 days ago. Today is day 3 with no poop. I'm starting to get worried. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow. Anyone experience this with their kids? Any suggestions? I asked her why she is holding it and she said shes afraid it will hurt.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Child has had a hard bowel movement- probably for the first time she can remember- and it DID hurt- and she is trying to avoid that. Check her diet- gets screwy around Christmas, increase fruit in her diet- and WATER. Get her some good fiber and hydration, problem will go away.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-29-2012 at 01:21 AM.
People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Did you ask her?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #4

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think all kids probably go through this, I know mine did. I did what C3 said, but I did also add some laxative to get things flowing. Ended up causing explosive diarrhea, and yes, I followed the damn directions on the bottle.

Beware of pasta.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7104 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8611

Cut back on cheese if she eats much of that.

I agree with C3. She's had a 'hard' poop that hurt. Call the doctor for advice. Try those Fiber One bars. They are like candy bars but have a good amount of fiber. Fruit juice. Raisins.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Some kids actually become scared of the toilet at some points but that doesnt sound like the case here. I do agree, prolly some serious holiday diet fluctuations causing some blockage. A little exlax at the correct dosage shold get things moving ASAP. If it doesnt clear out quickly, have her checked out, Bowel obstructions can be painful and sometimes very troublesome.

Try not to get too frazzled with the situation, she needs to relax and let time and mother nature work its magic. This too will pass!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Cut back on cheese if she eats much of that.
And this is why Wisconsin has had so many serial killers?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8860 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

No, the cereal killers come from Battle Creek MI.

Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Shredded Wheat, Frosted Flakes......

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I agree - if she is having a bowel movement problem due to hard "poop" then laxative stuff may help.

But there may be a little psychological stuff going on here, too. My son went through it. He, for some reason, began to notice his poop - and he was concerned that it was part of him - that was leaving him. He didn't want that to happen - didn't know if it should happen.

--- It makes sense, in a way. Thought he was losing part of himself .. and he couldn't let that happen. It's them figuring out life stuff.
It's a phase that will work through. But if you could provide some kindly, gentle reassurance that it is all ok - and it is actually necessary or else she will become sick. That should start to sink in and smooth things over.

But if it is this fear of pooping that i have described - she is actually working at retaining her poop - then the laxative stuff is going to cause her much much pain and psychological consternation - she'll be trying her hardest to retain - and will find herself failing at this thing that at the moment seems very very important to her - retaining that part of her body that seems to be coming out.

If it was me - I would go very easy on the laxative type stuff (like not use it) and do some very gentle explanations of what is going on - and that she needs to get rid of that stuff - that it is not a real part of her body -- but something like food going in (which, of course, it is the direct result of)

Good luck with her. Kids are interesting and fun.

Last edited by Colby; 12-29-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: sp

Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

Liked 562 Times on 371 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We have tried explaining it to her but sure says she's said because she pooped once and it hurt. I guess we will ride it out and see what happens