Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   advice about kids! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/advice-about-kids-79667/)

rurak 12-28-2012 11:02 PM

advice about kids!

So ive got a little situation with my four year old daughter. For the past week or so she has been holding in her poop till she has a small accident. She has been perfectly potty trained for 1 1/2 years. Ive tried everything..... bribes, punishment, you name it. I started her on mira lax about 4 days ago. Today is day 3 with no poop. I'm starting to get worried. I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow. Anyone experience this with their kids? Any suggestions? I asked her why she is holding it and she said shes afraid it will hurt.

c3shooter 12-28-2012 11:52 PM

Child has had a hard bowel movement- probably for the first time she can remember- and it DID hurt- and she is trying to avoid that. Check her diet- gets screwy around Christmas, increase fruit in her diet- and WATER. Get her some good fiber and hydration, problem will go away.

Kai 12-29-2012 12:05 AM

Did you ask her?

trip286 12-29-2012 12:07 AM

I think all kids probably go through this, I know mine did. I did what C3 said, but I did also add some laxative to get things flowing. Ended up causing explosive diarrhea, and yes, I followed the damn directions on the bottle.

Beware of pasta.

winds-of-change 12-29-2012 04:17 AM

Cut back on cheese if she eats much of that.

I agree with C3. She's had a 'hard' poop that hurt. Call the doctor for advice. Try those Fiber One bars. They are like candy bars but have a good amount of fiber. Fruit juice. Raisins.

WebleyFosbery38 12-29-2012 08:38 AM

Some kids actually become scared of the toilet at some points but that doesnt sound like the case here. I do agree, prolly some serious holiday diet fluctuations causing some blockage. A little exlax at the correct dosage shold get things moving ASAP. If it doesnt clear out quickly, have her checked out, Bowel obstructions can be painful and sometimes very troublesome.

Try not to get too frazzled with the situation, she needs to relax and let time and mother nature work its magic. This too will pass!

DrumJunkie 12-29-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 1070250)
Cut back on cheese if she eats much of that.

And this is why Wisconsin has had so many serial killers?:eek::p

c3shooter 12-29-2012 10:15 AM

No, the cereal killers come from Battle Creek MI.

Cheerios, Rice Krispies, Shredded Wheat, Frosted Flakes......:p

Colby 12-29-2012 10:35 AM

I agree - if she is having a bowel movement problem due to hard "poop" then laxative stuff may help.

But there may be a little psychological stuff going on here, too. My son went through it. He, for some reason, began to notice his poop - and he was concerned that it was part of him - that was leaving him. He didn't want that to happen - didn't know if it should happen.

--- It makes sense, in a way. Thought he was losing part of himself .. and he couldn't let that happen. It's them figuring out life stuff.
It's a phase that will work through. But if you could provide some kindly, gentle reassurance that it is all ok - and it is actually necessary or else she will become sick. That should start to sink in and smooth things over.

But if it is this fear of pooping that i have described - she is actually working at retaining her poop - then the laxative stuff is going to cause her much much pain and psychological consternation - she'll be trying her hardest to retain - and will find herself failing at this thing that at the moment seems very very important to her - retaining that part of her body that seems to be coming out.

If it was me - I would go very easy on the laxative type stuff (like not use it) and do some very gentle explanations of what is going on - and that she needs to get rid of that stuff - that it is not a real part of her body -- but something like food going in (which, of course, it is the direct result of)

Good luck with her. Kids are interesting and fun.

rurak 12-29-2012 11:50 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We have tried explaining it to her but sure says she's said because she pooped once and it hurt. I guess we will ride it out and see what happens