Adventures in shopping.......... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Adventures in shopping..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Seen two old folks joust once on those scooters...

Old 04-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Sorry for multiple posts, but I just thought of a post that might be helpful to some.

I have injuries on my feet, so use those motorized shopping carts/scooters under doctor's orders. Because of my penchant to engage idiots and those not raised with courtesy, I prefer to shop at night. This brought up a new problem: Wal-Mart tends to move pallets into the aisles to restock. Since they leave the doors open to the public to shop, all Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and fire codes must be followed. This means that ALL aisles must be passable to everyone, even on a scooter.

I have requested that Wal-Mart employees move pallets to make an aisle passable, or remove the pallet if aisle is too narrow. I didn't design the store to have aisles that are too narrow therefore I feel no guilt in asking them to comply to local and Federal laws.

The employees I have asked to do this have complied, not always happily, all but once. A quick talk with the manager found him unsympathetic to my plight and not wanting to disturb his crew from their work to convenience me. Therefore I decided to call the non-emergency local fire dept. number and explain to the lieutenant that answered that they were not in compliance and refused to comply to a request. Less than 15 minutes later a fire truck arrived with five fire fighters to do a safety check. I heard one of them tell the manager that they were going to start with a $500 ticket for blocking the outside fire riser with a rack of plants and add to the fine as they saw fit. I hung around a while just to hear the total, but they stayed longer than I could last. The firefighter's total was up to $8,500 when I left and climbing.

Never be afraid to make a phone call. Every agency has a NON-emergency number you can find on Google at their homepage and it usually leads to a dispatcher 24/7 that will discuss with you whether or not someone should be dispatched. Also, calls to the non-emergency number can NOT get you cited for misuse of the 911 system if it turns out they don't care.

Quit putting up with rude people and their bullying ways. There is always a legal, rational, polite but firm solution.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

Good for you Greg!

I am a business owner, and I have instructed everyone of my employees to acquiesce to the reasonable demands of every customer and to relay any serious concerns to me, either in person or by phone. Customers vote with their dollars and I want them to vote for us.

An error is one thing, outright complacency toward the needs and desires of customers is another. Any entity that places the convenience of it's emploees above that of the customer is not worth your vote!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #24

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Walmart and Kmart no, sporting goods and gun stores yes!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
Walmart and Kmart no, sporting goods and gun stores yes!
I hate shopping, but I could freaking live at Cabelas.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyshot View Post
Mmmmm, Bananas are good! They are good and good for you. Bananas are a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium, Manganese and Vitamin B6.......
Yeah, but you have to eat them, not just suck them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
The other bit of indecency that is prevalent in my area is what I term "satellite shopping," i.e. people who abandon their cart and shop several aisles away to bring food back to the cart as if the cart was too difficult to take with them. I used to simply move the cart over, but now I take it to the back of the store and push them through the big double doors. That is where the store puts abandoned carts to later return the items in it to the shelf, so I figure I'm helping the store out!
I must say there has been a time or two that I have had to use the bathroom and I push my cart out of the way and "abandon" it to use the restroom. I do try to leave it where it won't be in anyone's way and I'm never gone for more than a few minutes.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7194 Times on 4329 Posts
Likes Given: 8772

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Hahaha..........good one. While I didn't spank my kids, I have no problem with those who choose that route as long as it's a light smack. I've seen it done in stores and I just go about my business. Unless it's abusive, and I've never seen abusive in a public place, I mind my own business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Everyone that has seen one of my posts knows my feelings on the ineffectiveness of parents, so I'll save you that rant again. However, I finally stopped putting up with everyone else's opinions on how to raise my children and their general rudeness in public.
If you are implying because I did not spank my children that my parenting was ineffective, you are wrong.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Considering all of the programs out there like social security, welfare, food stamps, ect, I seriously doubt that was the case.

Telling someone to go suck a banana is not very Christian like at all. Maybe you need to go reread the good book.
Until you've seen our seniors dumpster diving so they could afford medication you would never think any of our elderly would have a problem buying food. It happens. It happens much more than you would expect. Something else I heard about from my PD friends was elderly women shoplifting cat food. They don't have a cat, but the serving size and the protein content appeal to them.

We are at a stage in this country's life where many are not eligible for social security, or don't have much coming in from social security. It wasn't that long ago that self-employed people didn't have to contribute. Now add in all the people that were counting on a Pan Am pension or retirement savings from Enron or a Texas S&L. How would you like to be retired NYPD or NYFD and have your city so deep in red ink? Or worse yet, the widow of a man that didn't think his wife should work. Where's the social security now? Survivors benefits don't add up to that much.

As a country we should be ashamed. We need to take care of our own first.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #29
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 961 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of my favorite walmart stories. A friend of mine hurt his leg badly muscles and tendons torn almost off. He goes to walmart, gets a regular cart and hops/hobbles behind it using it as a crutch. An employee rolls up on a scooter and says "sir why don't you use this scooter instead of hopping behind the cart?" So he moves his items and his CRUTCHES into the basket on the scooter and finishes his shopping.

As he is leaving the store a woman who would need 2 scooters to handle her ass and had no other obvious disability ( I know lung problems aren't obvious) yells at him that those scooters are " for people that need them" and got mad that he didn't give the one he was using to her right away.

On the spanking in public, a friend of mines wife asked one of those old lady busybodies if she wanted to be spanked next for sticking her nose where it didn't belong.

Last edited by F4U; 05-01-2013 at 05:00 AM.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
One of my favorite walmart stories. A friend of mine hurt his leg badly muscles and tendons torn almost off. He goes to walmart, gets a regular cart and hops/hobbles behind it using it as a crutch. An employee rolls up on a scooter and says "sir why don't you use this scooter instead of hopping behind the cart?" So he moves his items and his CRUTCHES into the basket on the scooter and finishes his shopping.

As he is leaving the store a woman who would need 2 scooters to handle her ass and had no other obvious disability ( I know lung problems aren't obvious) yells at him that those scooters are " for people that need them" and got mad that he didn't give the one he was using to her right away.
I get that crap all the time about handicapped parking. I have controlled hypertension and congestive heart failure, and from outward appearances you would think I am perfectly healthy. I just can't walk long distances in the heat because of my condition and the meds used to treat it.

During the cooler months I park out in the boonies to get the exercise, but in the summer months I need to be a very short walk from the air conditioning. I finally started carrying and using a cane to get inside. I don't need it, but I got tired of listening to all the B/S about me taking the space away from somebody that really needed it.