Adventures in shopping.......... - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Adventures in shopping..........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I hate shopping. I REALLY hate crowds.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

Considering all of the programs out there like social security, welfare, food stamps, ect, I seriously doubt that was the case.

Telling someone to go suck a banana is not very Christian like at all. Maybe you need to go reread the good book.
I'm not taking up for him but I can say there are those out there that do need help and the system refuses them. Not saying this is the case. Just what I know first hand. My own mother is one that can't get help. My dad and mom live on a farm my dad works for the owner. Worked for him all his life. Barely makes minimum wage if that and only about 30 hours a week. Mom can not get a job no one wants to hire her do to age and plus in not so good health. Yet the state or no one will help her with medical or anything claims they make too much.

Sad thing is people that don't need these programs are getting them and ones that do need have to fight like hell to get them. I have a totally blind wife I can tell you some stories about these programs.

Again not taking up for that guy just making a point.

Last edited by Robert121571; 04-30-2013 at 08:15 AM.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #13

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
More likely, he has no money and is starving. If you think as you do instead of having a Christian attitude, you need to go to church more often. Or just go suck a banana.

Jim
lol thats cute, i like that. Oh by the way, I dont have to step foot in a church to know im good with God. We understand each other just fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6325 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 6813

I dont shop anywhere unless I absolutely have to; thankfully, my wife will shop cause otherwise we would be eating allot less and our clothing would be 1980's era. Strolling through Lowes is fun for me, I can walk around for hours but sooner or later I see one of those nasty customers with bad attitudes and Im outa there!

Im not sure which pisses me off more, mean and rotten customers or lousy customer service; both seem way to common. I thought that the purple Dinosaur and Miss Piggy were teaching manners, so far that hasnt worked out so well! My Daughter took My wife and I out for dinner last week for my wifes B-Day, I went out for a smoke and there was a lady outside yelling at her kid for being a brat, she told him "Your hurt my feelings, please stop doing that or I wont take you out for dinner". Hurt her feelings, please????? How about a little reminder of who's the Momma and who needs to listen or get a sore ass? A few minutes later we saw one of the waitresses reach into the Lemon wedge Bowl without gloves on, not very professional or sanitary,

Thats why I should not go out in public, people piss me off!

As for the older guy picking olives from the Salad bar; he's the reason I try not to eat from those things ever. Stealing is illegal even if your hungry and even if its just a few olives. My sense is he just felt entitled; I likely would have told the first manager I could find about it so they could have at least tossed the stuff in the garbage and asked the gentleman to shop elsewhere but I'm kinda outspoken, thats why my wife avoids taking me out in public!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7323 Times on 4407 Posts
Likes Given: 9017

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJack View Post
lol must be one of the old timers that think the world "owes" him a olive and much more to boot for being old and paying his dues in life. Chances are he didnt even need that cart at all and would just assume ram into you if you got in his way.
Now dont get me worng im not sayin all older folks are Dbags, but theres def. some out there that think the world owes them.
Quote:
More likely, he has no money and is starving.
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert121571 View Post
I'm not taking up for him but I can say there are those out there that do need help and the system refuses them. Not saying this is the case. Just what I know first hand. My own mother is one that can't get help. My dad and mom live on a farm my dad works for the owner. Worked for him all his life. Barely makes minimum wage if that and only about 30 hours a week. Mom can not get a job no one wants to hire her do to age and plus in not so good health. Yet the state or no one will help her with medical or anything claims they make too much.

Sad thing is people that don't need these programs are getting them and ones that do need have to fight like hell to get them. I have a totally blind wife I can tell you some stories about these programs.

Again not taking up for that guy just making a point.
I must admit this olive picking man did look unkempt and not well cared for. I do believe he might have been a little desperate.

And I will vouch 100% with Robert that it is often hard to get any assistance when it is needed. Years ago, I was a single parent to three kids. I couldn't get any food stamps, help with utilities, medical care because I earned too much........by about $40/month. And in my recent bout of unemployment, I was uninsured for many months because I "earned too much" on unemployment. I have existing medical conditions which didn't matter at all and didn't sway them to help me with prescriptions, which I went without because I couldn't afford to buy them on my unemployment wages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I hate shopping. I REALLY hate crowds.
I hate crowds, too. I work an off shift and do much of my shopping in the wee hours of the morning or late at night. When I do have to go shopping during 'normal business hours' I am amazed at how full the parking lots are and at all the people in the store. It drives me crazy, too.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 475 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 156

At a large retail chain store when my son was about 3 years old,, as do most young kids he wanted to rant about getting a certain toy,, I tried to settle him down verbally, but he was having none of it, so I popped him on the butt a couple of times, he knew it was done and settled down, about that time two soccer moms,, for lack of a better decription,, started in on me for spanking my son and told me they were going to call the sheriff on me for being abusive,, I flipped the ladies a quarter and told them the call was on me,, they tromped off muttering various insults in my direction. Kids are kids and will misbehave but I am responsible for my own and would not let them go ape at the stores,, they are all grown now so it's their turn.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7323 Times on 4407 Posts
Likes Given: 9017

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
At a large retail chain store when my son was about 3 years old,, as do most young kids he wanted to rant about getting a certain toy,, I tried to settle him down verbally, but he was having none of it, so I popped him on the butt a couple of times, he knew it was done and settled down, about that time two soccer moms,, for lack of a better decription,, started in on me for spanking my son and told me they were going to call the sheriff on me for being abusive,, I flipped the ladies a quarter and told them the call was on me,, they tromped off muttering various insults in my direction. Kids are kids and will misbehave but I am responsible for my own and would not let them go ape at the stores,, they are all grown now so it's their turn.
Hahaha..........good one. While I didn't spank my kids, I have no problem with those who choose that route as long as it's a light smack. I've seen it done in stores and I just go about my business. Unless it's abusive, and I've never seen abusive in a public place, I mind my own business.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Hahaha..........good one. While I didn't spank my kids, I have no problem with those who choose that route as long as it's a light smack. I've seen it done in stores and I just go about my business. Unless it's abusive, and I've never seen abusive in a public place, I mind my own business.
Everyone that has seen one of my posts knows my feelings on the ineffectiveness of parents, so I'll save you that rant again. However, I finally stopped putting up with everyone else's opinions on how to raise my children and their general rudeness in public.

A long time ago a woman who heard me use spanking as a threat to my daughter also threatened me with a call to the Sheriff. I told her:
A.) This is a family matter and none of your business.
B.) My children were generally very well behaved, and based on her views, I imagine hers were uncontrollable hellions - she had no right to judge my methods.
C.) i will call the Sheriff myself from my phone if she wishes, but the next call would be to my attorney to sue you personally for tortious interference with my parenting. (Weak, I know, but as a threat it works!)

I stared at her as did everyone within 50 ft. (We had an audience by now) and she finally turned and left without saying a word. A loudly queried, "Does anyone ELSE have a problem with my interaction with my child?" To which everyone went back to their business. This accomplished many things, not the least of which:

A.) Everyone in the store saw that being a nosey busybody could backfire;
B.) The woman would be far less likely to threaten anyone again;
C.) My daughter saw me control an entire store-full of people and was in absolute awe of my power! (This is what the MasterCard commercial would term as "Priceless")

It's time to stop cowering from these liberal nazis and their vacant threats. Had the Sheriff been called, I knew I had done nothing wrong and could defend my actions - could she?

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #19

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
More likely, he has no money and is starving. If you think as you do instead of having a Christian attitude, you need to go to church more often. Or just go suck a banana.

Jim
Mmmmm, Bananas are good! They are good and good for you. Bananas are a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Potassium, Manganese and Vitamin B6.......
Old 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
A few weeks ago I was at the grocery store. It was in the day and there weren't many shoppers there. There was an older man riding around on one of those scooter/shopping carts. We were near the salad bar and there is also an olive bar. This man scoots up to the olives, grabs a few out of it and pops them in his mouth. I am not joking, I keep walking and a few aisles down I see him in the small section some grocery stores have for 'housewares' and he was wiping his mouth and hands on a kitchen towel that was on display for sale.
This layout sounds exactly like our local Kroger store. I have seen kids grab food out of the open bins with their hands and put it back. The parents either watch the act and ignore it or are non-existent. That's the reason I never buy out of open bins.

The other bit of indecency that is prevalent in my area is what I term "satellite shopping," i.e. people who abandon their cart and shop several aisles away to bring food back to the cart as if the cart was too difficult to take with them. I used to simply move the cart over, but now I take it to the back of the store and push them through the big double doors. That is where the store puts abandoned carts to later return the items in it to the shelf, so I figure I'm helping the store out!

There is also the one my wife has started engaging because it happens so bloody often. I call it the "Coffee Klatch." This is two or more people stopping to talk in the store, usually splaying their carts out in a wagon wheel formation to interdict the flow of traffic better than a World War II steel tank trap. Three women did this at the aisle intersection of the local Wal-Mart entrance and made my wife so mad she stormed up to them and asked, "Could you possibly take this tea party somewhere that it doesn't block the busiest intersection in the store?" They all blustered under their breath and went their various ways, but one actually had the nerve to look at my wife and announce, "How Rude!" To which my wife replied coldly, "Yes, you were." This is a problem that should have been addressed by Wal-Mart management, but they never do anything they are not forced into.

As far as the older, unkempt gent eating out of the bins, I have known grocery store managers and believe that, had he stated his problem and/or condition, he would have legitimately received some day-old bread and a few canned goods without labels. Most managers have a heart and a few resources at their discretion. I have heard people like that say they don't want a handout, but they seem to have no problem stealing food that is not theirs. At least if someone hands it to you, you own it. And any store with a bakery has food without preservatives going bad on a daily basis. It wouldn't have hurt him to ask.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

texaswoodworker Likes This