Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   "Accidental" shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/accidental-shooting-67905/)

dog2000tj 07-09-2012 02:25 AM

"Accidental" shooting

I came across this article this evening - http://www.bostonherald.com/news/national/midwest/view.bg?articleid=1061144335&position=recent. Something about this reporting has set off my BS meter. A few "facts" I have issue with,

Quote:

A woman was fatally shot Sunday when she hugged an off-duty police officer
Quote:

the woman "embraced the officer from behind, causing the holstered weapon to accidently discharge."
I am under the impression that all Police Officers are issued firearms from their departments? So what type of firearm would they be issuing if it could "accidentally" be fired without deliberately putting your finger on the trigger?

Quote:

The bullet punctured Millerís lung and hit her heart
So she embraced the officer from behind, resulting in a discharge and the bullet traveled upwards, not down towards the ground? Is there a holster out there that carries a firearm in such a fashion?

I'm just having trouble beleiving that a holstered weapon could actually discharge and that in the events as described for the path of the bullet is reminicsent of JFK's magic bullet in my opion.

Thought, info, flaming? :confused:

Axxe55 07-09-2012 02:33 AM

Dog, there isn't really much more detail in the article, than what you said about it. i am seeing the same thing as you and have the same questions. something seems real funny about how does a holstered pistol fire upwards. maybe he had it in a shoulder holster? when she hugged him from behind she hit the trigger?

gearhead396 07-09-2012 02:39 AM

I'm sure it was an accident does not seem like foul play to me and depending on how tall she was compared to the officer it could have traveled almost straight and off duty I figure he was wearing a shoulder holster under his jacket I wear one myself sometimes on my right side and hanging it sits slightly pointed up not straight down so I can see this happening though when i carry concealed i never keep one in the chamber also I do believe the weapons trigger must have been pulled but on accident one way or another got hooked on a button or whatever even still this officer didn't need a weapon locked and loaded at 12:30 am at a dance party he should lose his job at the very least.

Axxe55 07-09-2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead396 (Post 864075)
I'm sure it was an accident does not seem like foul play to me and depending on how tall she was compared to the officer it could have traveled almost straight and off duty I figure he was wearing a shoulder holster under his jacket I wear one myself sometimes on my right side and hanging it sits slightly pointed up not straight down so I can see this happening though when i carry concealed i never keep one in the chamber also I do believe the weapons trigger must have been pulled but on accident one way or another got hooked on a button or whatever even still this officer didn't need a weapon locked and loaded at 12:30 am at a dance party he should lose his job at the very least.

sorry there Gearhead, but without more details and facts you are jumping to conclusions and assuming he is somehow at fault. we have no reason to believe one or the other that he didn't have a good reason to be where he was. also i don't know of any LEO that doesn't carry locked and loaded, even when off duty.

dog2000tj 07-09-2012 02:53 AM

Obviously we don't have all the facts and unless someone here on FTF was at the party it is unlikely we will ever have all the facts. But does anybody know what pistol the Detroit PD issues for their officers? and what about the top 3-5 holsters for that particular pistol? I would think based on those 2 pieces of information we would be able to make a much more educated guess than as it stands now. I'd rather not call for the Officers firing just yet, sometimes accidents do happen, but this story leaves me with too many questions as of now.

I'm just not seeing how the trigger could have been "accidentally" pulled. In either of my holsters, hip and drop leg, no way could the trigger be pulled accidentally.

(so when you all see me posting up about my pistol going off on it's own at a beerfest and bbq ... you all know I'll be full of chit :D )

vincent 07-09-2012 03:02 AM

The Boston Herald picks up a story from a Detroit picnic??? Umm, yeah, nothing happened in Boston that day :confused:

Without having ALL pertinent info on the story, what's the point of printing it...oh yeah, it's the Boston Herald...:mad:

Complete and total flame attempt from a rabid anti-rights state's media outlet...:mad:

They're just playing the 'gun card'...

dog2000tj 07-09-2012 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 864097)
The Boston Herald picks up a story from a Detroit picnic??? Umm, yeah, nothing happened in Boston that day :confused:

Maybe :o ..... we don't have all the facts yet :p

rjd3282 07-09-2012 03:26 AM

I just don't see how the gun went off inside a holster. If it did I bet it was a glock. I would never wear a horizontal holster. I don't like the idea of the muzzle pointing anywhere but down.

gearhead396 07-09-2012 03:37 AM

Gotta agree with rdj on the glock theory maybe not glock specifically but something with the same design like a like a s&w mp 40

sputnik1988 07-09-2012 04:29 AM

See what happens, If we would all just turn in our guns, then the police wouldn't need any either... crime would be nearly non-existent and things like this would never happen...Just like Great Britain.:rolleyes:

Looks like an anti gun write up to me. Does anyone, anywhere know of a Duty holster that doesn't cover the trigger?