AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1924 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 3928

Default AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

I wanted to pass this on to everyone on the board. Read the article at the link.

The you have this guy - Bob Dinneen, CEO of the Renewable Fuels Association, says E15 is safe for virtually all post-2001 vehicles, based on extensive government-sponsored testing. "We think the (EPA) warning label should be sufficient to notify consumers,'' Dinneen says. "There are no corrosive issues with E15. If there's an issue with E15 (damaging vehicles) we're going to know about it, and the EPA is going to know about it."

If I am forced to use it and car is damaged, will you replace it? Answer No!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/30/aaa-e15-gas-harm-cars/1735793/

AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

11:40AM EST November 30. 2012 - The AAA says the Environmental Protection Agency and gasoline retailers should halt the sale of E15, a new ethanol blend that could damage millions of vehicles and void car warranties.

AAA, which issued its warning Friday, says just 12 million of more than 240 million cars, trucks and SUVs now in use have manufacturers' approval for E15. Flex-fuel vehicles, 2012 and newer General Motors vehicles, 2013 Fords and 2001 and later model Porsches are the exceptions, according to AAA, the nation's largest motorist group, with 53.5 million members.

"It is clear that millions of Americans are unfamiliar with E15, which means there is a strong possibility that many may improperly fill up using this gasoline and damage their vehicle," AAA President and CEO Robert Darbelnet tells USA TODAY. "Bringing E15 to the market without adequate safeguards does not responsibly meet the needs of consumers."

BMW, Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota and VW have said their warranties will not cover fuel-related claims caused by E15. Ford, Honda, Kia, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have said E15 use will void warranties, says Darbelnet, citing potential corrosive damage to fuel lines, gaskets and other engine components.

But AAA -- in an unusual warning for a travel organization -- says the sale and use of E15 should be stopped until there is more-extensive testing, better pump labels to safeguard consumers and more consumer education about potential hazards.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 11-30-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #2

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

More 'How to destroy a country 101'.

Sucks that in have to live a portion of my life in the new Communist States of America.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I take the time to find ethanol-free fuel; my car doesn't need a DUI any more than i do. (2002 sentra SE-R)

Luckily for my father, his 2000 Dodge pickup specifically calls for 87 octane; there are several stations around here that sell the ethanol free in 87 octane for lawn mowers and such.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Liked 741 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Ive never even seen E15 fuel for sale...

Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Most gasoline where I am has approx 10% or less already.
It screwed up my generator, a motorcycle, and a lawn mower (none are used too much in the winter which alllowed the fuel in carb sit).

I have since learned that carbs should be empty if they are not used on a regular basis.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #6

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Yeah, the damage usually comes from letting it sit in a carbureted engine for too long. There are other damaging effects that can happen with the flex fuel blend (E85). Mobile Marine knows quite a bit about the damage that can come from it, having to deal with it in the marine maintenance field.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1924 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 3928

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yeah, the damage usually comes from letting it sit in a carbureted engine for too long. There are other damaging effects that can happen with the flex fuel blend (E85). Mobile Marine knows quite a bit about the damage that can come from it, having to deal with it in the marine maintenance field.
Small engines, i.e. lawn mowers, snowmobiles, leaf blowers. Did not want to leave them out of them mix. Lucky for me I have a small spot of grass and the rest is desert.

We have one station (brand new) has the E85 crap.