Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 9/11...Do you remember what you where doing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

I was having a battery replaced at the dealer I just bought a car from when I found out. They had CNN on the showroom’s TV. Only one plane had hit at that time. I called my spouse at work and we met for an early lunch. I was a nursing student at the time doing clinical and had the day off. We both worked at the WTC in the distant past, before we knew each other, and we ‘commiserated’. Lots of anger was expressed.

I went to a blood bank satellite site to donate. I think there were two other donors doing paperwork and only three staff people there. The staff had heard something but didn’t understand the implications. I tried to explain during the interview they were going to get slammed, but they weren’t getting it.

I have thalassemia and they weren’t sure they could accept my blood. I knew my blood was okay but they wanted an approval from their supervisor back at the hospital so I had to wait. While waiting I started wrangling chairs from other offices and waiting rooms and lined them up out the bank’s door and down the hall. They thought I was nuts until other people started showing up.

When I ran out of chairs to corral, I walked over to the supermarket next store to ask them to send over some juice and cookies. I knew the satellite donor site would run out. The line was out the door, down the hallway and onto the sidewalk when I got back. All 30 or so chairs I had ‘liberated’ up were filled. I was gone maybe 15 - 20 minutes max. The hospital had sent a couple of people over to help and blood was flowing from all five donor recliners. There was some small amount of chaos on the line so I started organizing it; managing the clip boards & pens, writing numbers on the applications to keep people in order and figure out waiting times.

Eventually the approval for me to give blood had come through and I was poked. I had given blood before and thought I knew what size needle to expect. This time they used a water pipe. Either they had run out of 18s (?) or they were using larger gauges to service people as fast as they could. When I left the line was around the building. I heard the bank closed later that afternoon. They had run out of blood storage room.

Frankly I think all of the above was just a way to keep myself occupied so I wouldn’t feel the pain. I grew up in Queens, NYC., had lived on West 23rd St. for 15 years and I had ‘played’ in lower Manhattan before I moved to the Adirondacks. I worked at 2 WTC. I knew the area and the people well. It wasn’t until I was back in class the next day, when a classmate knowing I was from NYC tried to comfort me, when I lost it.

It’s been 10 years and I still feel like my heart is being ripped out when I think about it too long. I’ve been back to NYC a couple of times since but I’m afraid to go to the site. I re-grieved when Bin Laden was killed. I felt no joy, no satisfaction, and no closure. A friend suggested I have phantom limb pain for an amputated soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Gail Sheehy wrote a book years ago, called Passages. The basic theme is "Who you are, is where you were, when....."
I've been in the Adirondacks since '87 but on 9/11 and the days following I was back at the WTC. I know now that, no matter where else or how long I may live anywhere else;
I will always be a New Yorker.

Last edited by Vincine; 09-10-2011 at 07:13 AM.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was 8 years old visiting my grandparents in Wyoming with my cousin. The memories from that day are so vivid. I'm surprised at how well I remember that day.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 697 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Morning commute to work which was about 1 hour long. Right into the commute the morning DJ was just relaying that a plane hit the tower like it was an accident and there wasen't much to it. Then the second plane hit and by the time I got to work everyone was around the TV. Then they sent us all home.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #14

I was 10 at the time, still a young fart, in 4th grade. It started as a normal day in my school just west of pittsburgh, pa. Then chaos hit, every class ended up in the cafeteria in our "disaster formation" (crouched down under tables with books over our heads) for what seemed like an eternity with the news on the tv down the hall loud enough that we could all hear it. Finally they let us all go home after the last plane that crashed was reported

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #15

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

i was also on my way to work, just coming up the exit ramp when i remember hearing about it reported over the radio as a vague accidental plane into the WTC....when i got to the office, everyone was glued to their respective radio and news station.

not long before this, in chicago, there was a similar incident in which a well known and highly respected radio dj, Bob Collins, unavoidably flew his plane(inadvertantly taking his own life) into a medical building to avoid hitting a student pilot (who was later determined to be in the wrong), so I initially didnt think anything other than bizarre accident....

from then on, the day just got more and more surreal, hearing about the second plane, and then shortly thereafter about each tower collapsing. we didnt have a tv on in the office so we were all stuck with the verbal play by plays and out imaginations.

the erriest feeling i remember, and some of this has to with growing up and living near a busy airport all my life, was the absolute 100% absence of any air traffic for i think it was atleast a couple days...
thats one of the most "the earth has stopped moving" type of phenomenas i've ever felt.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #16

I just got off work was about to fall asleep when my wife turned on the news saying a plane hit one of the twin towers. I'm a native Newyorker and started to shake my head how the hell did they go off course so far?? That's when I saw the other plane hit. I will never forget that gut wrenching feeling.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #17
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6686 Times on 4042 Posts
Likes Given: 7955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Eventually the approval for me to give blood had come through and I was poked. I had given blood before and thought I knew what size needle to expect. This time they used a water pipe. Either they had run out of 18s (?) or they were using large gauges to service people as fast as they could.
Vincine, you did a great service for that blood donor center. Great organizing. A blood donor needle is and always has been a 16 gauge. 18 gauge or larger for running it in but always a 16 for taking it out. Yup, it's a big 'un!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
not long before this, in chicago, there was a similar incident in which a well known and highly respected radio dj, Bob Collins, unavoidably flew his plane(inadvertantly taking his own life) into a medical building to avoid hitting a student pilot (who was later determined to be in the wrong), so I initially didnt think anything other than bizarre accident....
Dang, I still miss "Uncle Bobby" I was listening to WGN at the time the radio station discovered it was Bob's airplane in that plane crash and he wasn't answering his cell phone. When we all found out for sure it was Bob in that plane, I actually cried. I have been listening to WGN daily since around 1986.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-10-2011 at 06:29 AM.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #18

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I was the Corporal of the Guard on barracks duty in Okinawa Japan. It was 0200 and we were in the middle of a typhoon. One of the Marines came out of his room and said pack your **** boys we are going to war. About an hour later after we watched some of the coverage we were literally picking up cars and moving them away from the barracks in case there was a bomb in them and they placed some of us on foot patrols and gate guard on HMMWVs with machine guns all while going through the typhoon. At the time it felt like a dream, but I can remember every detail like it happened yesterday.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #19

Liked 952 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 515

I was a senior in high school and I was suspended that day for being insubordinate '' go figure '' and my best friend was skipping . We stopped by autozone in Raleigh to pick up a few things for our all day slack session on the m715 Kaiser and everyone was crowded around the radio . A semi toothless hillbilly came up and proclaimed loudly that we were under attack . We picked up our stuff headed to car quest for a few more things and same thing there . We called another buddy out of school and meet him at his house were we watched the towers fall . After we went four wheelin in and american military icon drinking american beer smoking american smokes in remembrance . Later I called mom and she was crying , after supper we got a police call and me and pops listened to W giving his historical speech that night in the cab of that ol rollback wrecker. I later remember trying to drive back from myrtle beach early one morning and as I stopped at a bojangles I heard over the radio that america had gone to war . I wanted to fly me american flag off the back off my truck but none could be found so I fly the north carolina flag high instead .
We all bought terrorist hunting permits , listened to toby keith and alan jackson and spoke of us getting parachuted in on our toyotas and 30.06's to kick some ass

Gentlemen , we have lost speed and therefore time , precious time , which can not be regained once lost . I have absolutely no sympathy for any of you fecculant maggots nor the patience to pretend otherwise , Gentlemen , I wash my hands of this madness .

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I was in the office at the tax commission (usually worked out of the office). The boss brought a TV from his house for the ladies up front to watch. I noticed more than a couple of people go out to their car to fetch a pistol for comfort. We had some weird cautionary memos coming out of the main office for a while there.

I remember calling Mom to ask if cousin Larry still worked in the Pentagon; she said his dad had already emailed her that Larry had not gone to work that day, sick kid. I later found out his work area was not in the section impacted.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.