9/11...Do you remember what you where doing...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 9/11...Do you remember what you where doing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Default 9/11...Do you remember what you where doing...

The Morning of ...9/11...I remember work was slow so I stayed home that day..I slept-in and when I woke,I remember turning on the T.V. and the first plane had already hit,and I remember thinking...what a bad accident,then about twenty or so minites into the news cast,the other plane hit...I was shocked,I remeber calling my buddy Ditmer John and his girl friend baby,they where both still sleeping at the time...I remember telling them to turn on the news and watch the things that where taking place...I haden't seen either one of them in years and one day last March I was pumping gas at a gas station I don't go to very much,and Ditmer-John's old girl-friend yell's-out..hey..what's-up....She said I remember you calling us the morning of 9/11 and if you would of not called that day,we would of slept all day,and not of seen the things unfold the way they did...They where out at a bar all-night the night before,she said and would of slept most of the day....That was last March at a gas-station,and I havn't seen her since,but calling and talking with them the Morning of 9/11 is what I remember the most...10 years later....and watching the T.V.........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7018 Times on 4223 Posts
Likes Given: 8456

I was at work and working day shift at the time. I remember our Medical Director came in around 0800 and walked past the break room and he said "A bomb or something blew up in the The World Trade Center." We thought, yeah, okay......... Then the story started to unfold that it was airplanes purposely crashing into the towers. We don't get any radio reception in the lab and our waiting room was very small but next to the lab was radiology and they had a bigger waiting room with a TV. I remember every few minutes going to their waiting room to watch their tv all day long. It was very difficult for me to concentrate on work, I wanted to just watch the story unfold. Airplanes cleared out of the skies and there was so much uncertainty about it. I saw the twin towers fall and I was afraid and had a very strong feeling of unrest. I had an almost uncontrollable urge to leave work, pick my kids up from their respective schools and go home. I was afraid and I wanted to huddle in with my kids. I remember going home and only feeling a little more comfortable when my kids finally came home from school. And I really wanted to cry. I was very afraid.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 09-09-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #3

I woke up feeling ill, but not sick, just off like it was gonna be a bad day, even told my best friend when I picked him up to go to class that I felt like something bad was going to happen. I was in high school, a senior.
When the first plane hit I was just wrapping up my Art 1 class that I got to help teach as a studio apprentice, and every classroom had it's TV turned on, and a few students were heading to the office (New Jersey so some of them had family in the city and/or towers). I headed to physics and a few moments after getting to my seat the news was showing a 2nd plane flying toward the second tower and then all the smoke. No matter which class I was in for the rest of the day, even in the galley, we had TVs on watching the news.
It is a day that I don't think I well ever forget. The next day so many of my classmates were absent, and many of them had lost family. I still have a picture from August 18th 2001 of the trade center buildings, and every time I see it, I remember how different the world was before 9.11 and how just 3 days after it happened, how united this country was, and how strong and proud we were to be American. Sadly, many people have forgotten it already, what it is like to be a proud country and not take all our freedoms for granted.
Tomorrow, the local National Guard, Navy, Marine, and Airforce Recruiters, and all the retired and active service member, fireman, police and anyone wanting to show that we will never forget, in this area, will be gathering to remember what happened in a march through town. As well as haveing a piece of the trade centers here.
I also hope none forget those in PA or D.C./VA who lost their lives to such a tragic event.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8698 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Gail Sheehy wrote a book years ago, called Passages. The basic theme is "Who you are, is where you were, when....."

There are some events so world changing, they become a milepost in your life. 9-11 is one of those mileposts. Pearl Harbor, JFK being shot, Man on the Moon, and now, 9-11. Anyone that was alive at the time of any of those events can tell you years later where they were, what they were doing at the time.

Point of the book- what defines you is what were you doing at the time of the milepost event. Folks that were in school will have one viewpoint on a number of things, folks that were adults, at work, another. Now, want to feel really ancient, you young whippersnapper? THIS YEAR, a class of students began their first year of high school- most of them not OLD enough to remember 9-11. They were 4-5 years old at the time.

Me? Teaching a construction management class in Sacramento- planned to fly back to Baltimore on the redeye that night. Two and a half days of driving my rental car, sleeping in car because motels were full- I made it home, picked up safety gear, kissed my lady, headed for the Pentagon with my contractors working there.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 09-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
CGO

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I was living in CA at the time painting my living room listening to music. My best friend called and told me to turn the tv on, that we have been attacked. I sat on the sofa watching the tv not believing what I was seeing and hearing. I heard screaming and then I realized it was coming from me. I prayed like I never prayed before in my life for all that suffered that day. That day has changed me beyond words.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #6

I was in a pep rally for middle school. Half way through, the principal walked out on court with a Mic and explained what happened. We all went to our next class and watched the news and radio for the rest of the day. We watched the second tower fall. It was such a strange feeling to know of the people inside while seeing it collapse. I'm glad it was quick for most of them.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I remember exactly. I was coming off night shift...I was late getting back to the sub-station because I had to take a statement from a victim at University Medical Center in Tucson. I stopped at a Circle K for a cup of coffee, and saw the second plane hit live on the small TV on the manager's desk.

My radio came alive with WTF calls, and dispatch had us all clear channels. We were ordered to remain on duty, and stand by for orders.

A block and a half away, University officers were getting called to a parking lot near one of the dorms where muslim students were cheering and fist-pumping.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

In my second grade classroom. Then we all went to the cafeteria, and nobody told us why everybody was worried.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 09-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I also was in second grade. Living in Washington d,c. My father was on the white house medical team at the time. I went to a school about 5 miles from the pentagon. I remember early in the morning kids were slowly getting pulled out of class. Next thing I knew I was pulled out of class as well. One of my dads friends had came to school to pick up there children and they offered to give me and my little sister a ride back to the air force base (home). I remember it took well over 6 hours for us to get on base. The bomb squad was At the main gate due to a suspicious package. I remember everyday riding the bus past the pentagon and got to witness the destruction and repairs daily.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I was in my dorm room my sophomore year of college. My roommate ran in and woke me up yelling about WW3 and I made it to the TV about 3 minutes before the second plane hit the towers.

Sent from my Evo 4G using FirearmsTalk

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"