86-year-old shot with taser
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

86-year-old shot with taser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 86-year-old shot with taser

What do you guys think, were the officers justified?

Some quick facts about the situation:
She was suicidal
she had a knife
she could not walk
she is blind in one eye and using an oxygen tank
and there were ten officers at the scene

Oklahoma granny gets shocked by Taser; sues El Reno police | NewsOK.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Liked 493 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I think the cops did the best with what they had. She made her intent clear that she was going to hurt somebody, anybody, and certainly had the means to do it. I think the officers handling AFTER the tazer was a bit much, and definitely didn't need to be so extreme. But now that Grandma is better she wants to sue because they overreacted. I'm not buying it. I think she's still crazy
"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Hells ya it was justified! What else could they have done that would not have risked causing considerable physical injury to her? The taser is now the most common used non-lethal weapon used to subdue and control people who are a danger to themselves and others. They were not in a hospital setting.

I suppose they could have thrown a blanket over her and tagged her with a tranquilizer dart.

Hell it would not have mattered what they did, she would probably still have been injured in the struggle and would have no doubt sued anyway, IMHO.

If you are gonna act like a dolt, then you better be prepared for the volt...no matter your age.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
Old 08-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I do believe I will go with Jacks answer as well. Shes 86 she should have more common sense than that. After all she was going to kill herself and they saved her from that fate. Guess they could have helper her along then there would be no lawsuit.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I dunno People think little old ladies are frail and weak. Tell that to my wife who has come home from work (Oncology nurse) with bruises from little old ladies and little old men. She once had a 90 year old gentlemen tell her she was sexy and then he said why don't you suck this and whipped out his junk.

From the sounds of it she was wanting to die. They were damed if they did and damed if they didn't.

If they didn't do anything and she killed herself they would have been sued for letting her kill herself. They stopped her and took the option with the least amount of force. Maybe they were a little rough after they tazed her. I mean 20 years ago when they didn't have tazers she may have gotten the baton.

I also agree with restraining the son as well no telling what someone will do in this situation.

I have a bad feeling that this thread is going to explode with granny lovers and cop haters. (GETTING POPCORN AND 3D GLASSES) this is gonna be fun.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If these are the facts.....

The claim was she had taken some medicine, nobody was sure how much, and that she was suicidal. They could have negotiated until she died, and then they'd be on the hook for not Tazing her.

If she had taken an overdose of something, time was of the essence, and Tazing was the prudent choice.

Besides, "Japs" is insensitive, and she should get the juice for being a hater.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I definitely think the officers were justified.
They were in a situation with a drugged-up older lady that was weilding a knife. I also think that maybe she is a little nutso........

Asked if the Taser hurt, she said, "Well, that's for me to know and you to find out."

Is that a threat too? LOL
Old 08-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #8

I agree with you guys. I first saw the story on the Colbert Report and he made it sound like cops can swoop in like batman and unarm someone without a scratch to either of them.
If any of those officers tried for the knife by hand they probably would have been stabbed.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Why not just turn off her O2 until she passes out; problem solved.
Dead Bears, the only good kind.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
Liked 424 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Oh you KNOW that would have caused problems gello...

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.