84-year-old man wounds intruder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 84-year-old man wounds intruder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 84-year-old man wounds intruder

Posted on Tue, Jul. 29, 2008
84-year-old man wounds intruder
By J.R. WELSH
jrwelsh@sunherald.com

HANCOCK COUNTY -- An 84-year-old man, who repeatedly held off an alleged intruder Sunday when the man tried to break into his home, finally got a gun in desperation and shot through a door, wounding the intruder in the leg.

At the time, the elderly resident was at home with his 74-year-old wife about 5 a.m. at their residence in the area of Adams Street in Bayside Park. Hancock County Sheriff's Investigator Andre Fizer said the couple heard a disturbance as a man tried to break through the front door and also tried to enter through a back door and a rear window of the residence.

The resident called 911 and reported that the intruder was trying to force his way into the home, and was threatening to kill him. He held himself against the door to keep the man from entering.

"The victim stated that when he became physically tired from holding the door, he became fearful for his and his wife's lives," Fizer said.

As he grew weaker trying to hold off the intruder, the resident asked his wife to bring his .45-caliber Colt handgun. He fired one shot through a lower panel of the door.

"He was getting tired," said Fizer, who listened to a tape of the 911 call during the ensuing investigation. "He said, 'I knew the guy was going to eventually overcome me.'

Although meant as a warning shot, the round struck 20-year-old Wade Ledesma of Bay St. Louis in the lower left leg. He was initially taken by American Medical Response to Memorial Hospital at Gulfport, then was transferred to University Hospital in Jackson. Ledesma was listed in fair condition Monday, Fizer said.

Deputies declined to release the name of the homeowner, saying the couple feared recrimination. Based on evidence and the 911 tape, no charges were filed against him.

From hearing the tape, "You could tell he was devastated," Fizer said. "You could tell he was scared."

It was not clear whether Ledesma knew his alleged victims. Pending his release from hospitalization, he faces charges of attempted burglary, malicious mischief, and disturbance of a family, Fizer said.

Deputies investigating the case included Fizer, Lt. Stacy Wilson, Sgt. Gary Dyess and Matt Schmidlin.

http://www.sunherald.com/pageone/story/711027.html

He should have had the gun sooner and shot him in the face!

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #2

that sucks that they even investigated it, i mean come on the guy was on the phone with 911 the whole time it went down

Old 07-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoirier22114 View Post
that sucks that they even investigated it, i mean come on the guy was on the phone with 911 the whole time it went down
They have to investigate it no matte what some one got shot. When a police officer shoots some one they investigate it as well.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Shame he didn't aim higher.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #5

I just hope the guy doesn't come back for revenge.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-31-2008, 05:04 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWIII View Post
I just hope the guy doesn't come back for revenge.
I'm sure the New York Times will dig up this guys address to help the criminal find his way back there....

9x18=Makarov

Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #7

good for him. another prime example of why gun ownership by a good citizen is so important. that colt probably saved that mans life. i'm sure the left will turn this story around and make the 20 year old punk the victim.

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~ Elmer Davis