82 Year Old Man Shoots Invader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 82 Year Old Man Shoots Invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Default 82 Year Old Man Shoots Invader

DAYTONA BEACH, FL --

Police said an intruder was shot and killed after trying to break into a 82-year-old man's home early Thursday.

According to police, the homeowner, Charles Robbins, 82, awoke around 6 a.m. to find a man trying to enter his home, near Woodland Avenue and A1A.

Robbins said the intruder was wearing a ski mask, and had a hammer and a screwdriver. So he grabbed his World War II Russian handgun and shot the man through his door, and then called 911.

When police arrived, they said they found the suspect, 24-year-old Tyler Orshoski, dead in the front yard.

Police said they believe Orshoski was behind several recent burglaries in the same neighborhood.

"The homeowner did something the criminal justice system couldn't do with this guy," said Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood. "We're familiar with the burglar. He put him out of business."Chitwood said the homeowner was within his rights to shoot the intruder, because he believed his life was in danger.

Robbins says he would do it again if he had to.

"Oh yeah, in a nano second,"
he said. "Better nobody try to break into my house or they'll get the same thing he did.” Robbins says his neighbors should arm themselves as well and shoot anyone who tries to break into their homes.

Neighbors in the Beachside neighborhood said it was not the first time a fellow homeowner was forced to defend himself.

Just last year a suspect tried breaking into a home down the street from Robbins.

In that case, the suspect was shot and crawled to neighbor Dave Hill's home.

"Twenty four years old, he died in my arms, and that was the first one. Then, there's one about four blocks down and this the third one now," described Hill.

Homeowners living directly across from Robbins said they were not armed yet, but were thinking of buying a firearm after what happened.
homeowner-intruder-0112_rdax_676x451.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #2

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you."

And in this case, that proved true....

Old 01-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Kudos to scary looking old dude.

Russian WWII pistol... wonder if it was a tokorev or nagant...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #4

You think the burglars would get the point with three of them getting shot by now...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Kudos to the good citizen!

It doesn't really look like the kind of place i would think had valuable goodies inside.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Kudos to the good citizen!

It doesn't really look like the kind of place i would think had valuable goodies inside.
ANTIQUES man! Anyway, yea, never know who's packing. I learned that my veteran manager at work keeps a revolver in his truck glovebox at all times.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

i would never break in someones house. your just askin for it. i sleep with a .38 and have 12 ga near by and i know a lotta other ppl who have similar fire power ready. id rather be alive.but with all these junkies and low lifes that dont want to work nowdays its gonna happen.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

The ski mask in Florida & tools clinch it, but through the door? He saw the BG through a window?

But I’m reminded of an incident in CA when a young guy from Japan (China?) who was lost in a bad LA neighborhood, was shot walking up someone’s walkway to ask for directions. The home owner shouted ‘Freeze’, the guy didn’t understand and was shot dead. It seems to Orientals with a less than fluent understanding of American, ‘Freeze’ is the name of the process that makes liquid frozen, not stop. Sad.

I’m wondering how many ski masks are sold in Florida. Would they be considered burglars tools?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
The ski mask in Florida & tools clinch it, but through the door? He saw the BG through a window?

But I’m reminded of an incident in CA when a young guy from Japan (China?) who was lost in a bad LA neighborhood, was shot walking up someone’s walkway to ask for directions. The home owner shouted ‘Freeze’, the guy didn’t understand and was shot dead. It seems to Orientals with a less than fluent understanding of American, ‘Freeze’ is the name of the process that makes liquid frozen, not stop. Sad.

I’m wondering how many ski masks are sold in Florida. Would they be considered burglars tools?
You can get them at airsoft websites, and those three hole balaclavas too.
http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=5055
See my avatar for why people buy them

Last edited by Soda; 01-25-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #10

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda View Post
You can get them at airsoft websites, and those three hole balaclavas too.
http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=5055
See my avatar for why people buy them
Ah, so.