Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   82 Year Old Man Shoots Invader (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/82-year-old-man-shoots-invader-56282/)

PanBaccha 01-25-2012 12:28 PM

82 Year Old Man Shoots Invader

1 Attachment(s)
DAYTONA BEACH, FL --

Police said an intruder was shot and killed after trying to break into a 82-year-old man's home early Thursday.

According to police, the homeowner, Charles Robbins, 82, awoke around 6 a.m. to find a man trying to enter his home, near Woodland Avenue and A1A.

Robbins said the intruder was wearing a ski mask, and had a hammer and a screwdriver. So he grabbed his World War II Russian handgun and shot the man through his door, and then called 911.

When police arrived, they said they found the suspect, 24-year-old Tyler Orshoski, dead in the front yard.

Police said they believe Orshoski was behind several recent burglaries in the same neighborhood.

"The homeowner did something the criminal justice system couldn't do with this guy," said Daytona Beach police Chief Mike Chitwood. "We're familiar with the burglar. He put him out of business."Chitwood said the homeowner was within his rights to shoot the intruder, because he believed his life was in danger.

Robbins says he would do it again if he had to.

"Oh yeah, in a nano second,"
he said. "Better nobody try to break into my house or they'll get the same thing he did.” Robbins says his neighbors should arm themselves as well and shoot anyone who tries to break into their homes.

Neighbors in the Beachside neighborhood said it was not the first time a fellow homeowner was forced to defend himself.

Just last year a suspect tried breaking into a home down the street from Robbins.

In that case, the suspect was shot and crawled to neighbor Dave Hill's home.

"Twenty four years old, he died in my arms, and that was the first one. Then, there's one about four blocks down and this the third one now," described Hill.

Homeowners living directly across from Robbins said they were not armed yet, but were thinking of buying a firearm after what happened.

AcidFlashGordon 01-25-2012 12:35 PM

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight... he'll just kill you."

And in this case, that proved true.... :cool:

trip286 01-25-2012 12:43 PM

Kudos to scary looking old dude.

Russian WWII pistol... wonder if it was a tokorev or nagant...

Soda 01-25-2012 09:05 PM

You think the burglars would get the point with three of them getting shot by now...

orangello 01-25-2012 09:08 PM

Kudos to the good citizen!

It doesn't really look like the kind of place i would think had valuable goodies inside.

Fuzzy 01-25-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 689208)
Kudos to the good citizen!

It doesn't really look like the kind of place i would think had valuable goodies inside.

ANTIQUES man! Anyway, yea, never know who's packing. I learned that my veteran manager at work keeps a revolver in his truck glovebox at all times.

pluspforyou38 01-25-2012 10:36 PM

i would never break in someones house. your just askin for it. i sleep with a .38 and have 12 ga near by and i know a lotta other ppl who have similar fire power ready. id rather be alive.but with all these junkies and low lifes that dont want to work nowdays its gonna happen.

Vincine 01-25-2012 10:55 PM

The ski mask in Florida & tools clinch it, but through the door? He saw the BG through a window?

But I’m reminded of an incident in CA when a young guy from Japan (China?) who was lost in a bad LA neighborhood, was shot walking up someone’s walkway to ask for directions. The home owner shouted ‘Freeze’, the guy didn’t understand and was shot dead. It seems to Orientals with a less than fluent understanding of American, ‘Freeze’ is the name of the process that makes liquid frozen, not stop. Sad.

I’m wondering how many ski masks are sold in Florida. Would they be considered burglars tools?

Soda 01-25-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine
The ski mask in Florida & tools clinch it, but through the door? He saw the BG through a window?

But I’m reminded of an incident in CA when a young guy from Japan (China?) who was lost in a bad LA neighborhood, was shot walking up someone’s walkway to ask for directions. The home owner shouted ‘Freeze’, the guy didn’t understand and was shot dead. It seems to Orientals with a less than fluent understanding of American, ‘Freeze’ is the name of the process that makes liquid frozen, not stop. Sad.

I’m wondering how many ski masks are sold in Florida. Would they be considered burglars tools?

You can get them at airsoft websites, and those three hole balaclavas too.
http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=5055
See my avatar for why people buy them

Vincine 01-25-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soda (Post 689303)
You can get them at airsoft websites, and those three hole balaclavas too.
http://www.airsoftgi.com/mobile/product_info.php?products_id=5055
See my avatar for why people buy them

Ah, so. :)