Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > $ 640 electric bill!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 01:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My electric runs about $120 - $150/month. That's for hot water and cooking and back-up heating. Primary heating is from my pellet stove. I have a generator on the motorhome to run the stove when the power is out. Pellets run $5/40# bag. I burn 1 bag per day in the coldest of winter (15 deg) when temps don't get above 33 deg during the day. When temps are more moderate (38-48) a bag lasts two to three days. I'm heating ~2,000 sq ft of living space. The bedrooms are isolated and the electric keep them at 60 deg.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #12

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Holy Hell!!! That's bordering on obscene cost. My apartment, built in the 70s, also has electric heat (electric everything) but then, it's an apartment and not house sized...990 square feet. It probably also helps that for 4 days a week, while I'm at work, the only electric things running are my clocks and fridge. I'm gone from 0530 to 1930 (and sometimes later) so my electric bills in the winter of less than $190 are not uncommon. Also, I turn the heat off at night while I'm asleep because I can't see heating the place when I'm under the covers. Sure it's cold in the morning when I get up but after ½ an hour of turning on the heat, it's comfortable again. And for a 59-year old fat man, that's saying something. I hate the cold. I prefer 45°C over 45°F any day.

45°C = 113°F for those that don't have a conversion program handy...

Old 01-30-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow and I was upset about ours being $180 last month. Mind you that is with the 2 weeks of not seeing anything above 30 and this house is 50 years old. Usually it's around $120.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

MY father who lives in CA and who worked for the power company and get a 20% discount. I talked to him last week and he said his electric was $1200 for one month. This is 2 people who don't run the heat or A/C unless they have to they have Oil heat too by the way and they live in the dark not turning a light on during the day hardly at all because they have big windows. The don't run heat for the pool or the filter unless they have to. The pool or hottub didn't run at all last month and $1200 is teh bill they got. You see in CA if you have gas, wood, or oil heat the electrict company has to charge you extra because the state says so. Tell me how effing stupid that is. Luckily my dad knew the guy the PG&E send to check out the house to see if it had all electric.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM   #15

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Luckily my dad knew the guy the PG&E send to check out the house to see if it had all electric.
Pacific Gouge & Extortion? I lived in San Diego county back in the 80s and their power sucked. I could sit on my couch at night and watch my lights throughout the house flicker...and not at 60 Hz either. A regular, pulsing flicker. This was before those "curley" bulbs so when incandescent bulbs flicker, you know your power is bulls**t.

As for the regulations in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, it's beyond human understanding where they come up with the crap they spew.