Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   $ 640 electric bill! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/640-electric-bill-22777/)

hillbilly68 01-29-2010 08:49 PM

$ 640 electric bill!

Just talked to my folks that live in the Appalachians, Dad said their electric bill last month was $640. :eek:
They are elderly and live in a very nice 1970's house, but it just has electric heat. Luckily the cost is not an issue for them, but holy jigglin' alligator scrotum Batman! That suuuuuuuucks.

Texanbybirth 01-29-2010 08:52 PM

In TX, they are switching to new "Smart Meters" that do not require to be read manually. Some people who have received the first new meters are complaining about their electric bills tripling. That's in Irving for those who are affected.

skullcrusher 01-29-2010 09:01 PM

That is just nasty, Hillbilly! You ever thought about beefing up their insulation? It is only gonna get worse...well that is if Global Warming does not kick in. There are other measures, like new windows and sweaters.

Oh, wait, if BO gets control of the utilities, then they can expect to pay pennies. (sorry, I had to say that) :eek:

yesicarry 01-29-2010 09:52 PM

cheap solution

I live in the Pacific Northwest.. When it get's cold, I go to Home Depot and get the window insulation kit. Comes with 2 sided tape and plastic sheets.
Did my apt. when winter rolled in. Had to turn down the heater. Not kidding..
It helps.
Drawback - Can't open the window on nice days.. But the savings outweigh the hassle !!

orangello 01-29-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 220931)
You ever thought about beefing up their insulation? There are other measures, like new windows and sweaters.

The Infernal Revenue Service does have some decent tax credits for installing improvements to make homes more energy efficient including better windows and insulation and water heaters (gas only i bleve) and such. The tax credit is up to 30% of qualifying costs, but is limited to $1500, i bleve. Some states have similar credits, especially on appliances.

I didn't think gators had a scrotum? :D

skullcrusher 01-29-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello (Post 220969)
I didn't think gators had a scrotum? :D

Good harvest? :rolleyes:

user4 01-29-2010 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texanbybirth (Post 220927)
In TX, they are switching to new "Smart Meters" that do not require to be read manually. Some people who have received the first new meters are complaining about their electric bills tripling. That's in Irving for those who are affected.

Eeek! I'll be on the lookout for that. Electric its too high as it is here.

divinginn 01-30-2010 01:19 AM

I just set a new record of 450 dollars.

MoHawk 01-30-2010 01:23 AM

My WATER bill was $780 last month. Stupid leaking pipes

AsmelEduardo 01-30-2010 01:36 AM

Our electricity bill is around $45 average... but we have gas appliances (stove, water heater, dryer)... national average must be around $60...
Seems cheap but the minimum wage is $235 or so... you could expect spend like $130 in food and $200 in rent.... now do the maths... :D
As an engineer I used to earn around $500 month... my dad makes a lot more god thanks....