55 men
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 55 men

View Poll Results: Would our Founding Fathers revolt against our current government?
Yes 35 85.37%
No 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 55 men

As we all know this country was founded by some men who committed high treason against England. 55 men stepped up and actually signed the document that committed that treason. My question is this:

When and/or if is it time for us as Americans to stand up for the principles that those 55 stood up for 222 years ago? Are we there yet? Would it do any good? Basically I'm just wanting to see if I'm not the only who thinks our Founding Fathers would have already overthrown this country as we know it now.

Liberals And Moderates Hate Me!!

Just remember, Hitler gave great speeches too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Fortunately at the time of this nations' founding, there were no gun laws prohibiting the citizenry from owning the same "technology" the "government" had at it's disposal. The playfield is no longer even! I think we are well past the time that citizens could launch a successful uprising, for the simple fact that the technology used by and available to the military and law enforcement community would quickly quell any disturbance before it even got off the ground. Also the prevailing anti-gun, non-confrontational mentality in this country does not lend itself to a unified, organised revolt, which would be absolutely necessary to be effective, given the other impediments listed above. To be sure, many people on both sides would die, but victory would not go to the underdog in this case. I once saw the results of a poll in which the respondants were the law enforcement community. The question was whose side they would be on if the SHTF. About 50% said they would side with the citizenry - they were all regular "beat" cops. The upper echelon would remain steadfastly dedicated to their governmental agencies. The military would probably exhibit much less dissent, and therein lies the improbability of a revolution being successful. Law enforcement could be overpowered by the citizenry - the military with all it's air and land support technology can not. Just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-22-2008 at 02:58 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Fortunately at the time of this nations' founding, there were no gun laws prohibiting the citizenry from owning the same "technology" the "government" had at it's disposal. The playfield is no longer even! I think we are well past the time that citizens could launch a successful uprising, for the simple fact that the technology used by and available to the military and law enforcement community would quickly quell any disturbance before it even got off the ground. Also the prevailing anti-gun, non-confrontational mentality in this country does not lend itself to a unified, organised revolt, which would be absolutely necessary to be effective, given the other impediments listed above. To be sure, many people on both sides would die, but victory would not go to the underdog in this case. I once saw the results of a poll in which the respondants were the law enforcement community. The question was whose side they would be on if the SHTF. About 50% said they would side with the citizenry - they were all regular "beat" cops. The upper echelon would remain steadfastly dedicated to their governmental agencies. The military would probably exhibit much less dissent, and therein lies the problem of a revolution being successful. Law enforcement could be overpowered by the citizenry - the military can not. Just my opinion, and I hope I'm wrong...
What about the fact the military is over extended?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't think they are THAT over extended. Trust me, if there were a revolt, we would see just how much military is still on our soil.

On a different note, with all the tension between Lady Liberty and the terrorist communities, would not a revolt give them a perfect chance to strike? I mean if the people are fighting the governmet, and the government fighting back it's people, who would fight the terrorists and could we bind back together to fight as one?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
I don't think they are THAT over extended. Trust me, if there were a revolt, we would see just how much military is still on our soil.

On a different note, with all the tension between Lady Liberty and the terrorist communities, would not a revolt give them a perfect chance to strike? I mean if the people are fighting the governmet, and the government fighting back it's people, who would fight the terrorists and could we bind back together to fight as one?

Good point. What an opportunity this would present to those desiring to attack us. An interesting hypothetical dilema. Would the citizenry and government unite to fight an outside threat, would the citizenry and outside threat unite to form a "new" government, or would there be three separate factions all fighting eachother???

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-22-2008 at 03:43 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
What about the fact the military is over extended?
The first duty of the military is to protect the United States government from ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC...The conflicts our military have been called to participate in in such places as Somalia and Iraq posed more of a threat to the US miltary than any internal insurrection would because of the proliferation of military weapons available to the citizens of those third world countries. Very few citizens in this country have access to machine guns, rocket launchers, mortars, RPG's, etc. Don't forget the availability of combat aircraft and high-tech gadgets like thermal imaging and Gen IV NVG's. Hell, the National Guard would probably be able to defeat the citizens of this country!

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-22-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:31 AM   #7

So what do you think true patriots need to do? The political process is getting so corrupt.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Hell, the National Guard would probably be able to defeat the citizens of this country!
I'm not sure I agree with that. Certainly, no one would want to go up against our own military, but it is probably very true that our military wouldn't want to go up against U.S. citizens, either. How many officers are going to order Americans to fire on citizens? How many will be around to give that order a second time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jables View Post
So what do you think true patriots need to do?
Get the majority of the people on the same page with regard to the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the myriad abuses our government -- at all levels -- have been engaging in. Once the will of the people demand a change in government, the change can be brought about, peacefully or not.

It's an uphill battle: our schools don't teach civics, the evils of socia1ism and communism, and paint the U.S. as an evil entity. News media and entertainment is all about misinformation and fluff. It doesn't help that so many people are more concerned about American Idol than losing their rights; people are way too comfortable, and they won't give up their wealth, convenience and comfort easily.

The Founding Fathers recognized abuse of power from King George when he started breaking the laws of his own country. Using their wealth, they exploited the primary form of communication -- printing presses -- to spread their views to the people to try to get them fired up. Would they want to reverse the course of abuse and corruption? Certainly. Would they be able to easily? Probably not. Would they take up arms at this time? Certainly not. But they would be stockpiling ammunition and supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
The terrorists are already here, in this country, planning and training. They are looking for an opportunity to strike, and that time will eventually come. If our government were truly interested in doing its job, there wouldn't be training camps like those in Hancock, NY or Red House, VA.

You ask a good question, though: would we be able to bind back together? I don't know. There would definitely be a large group saying the Constitution had failed us and we need a new form of government that would embrace socia1ism. Others would want a direct return to the Constitution and the autonomy of states. The potential for balkanization or outright civil war would exist.

Last edited by bkt; 05-22-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
The Founding Fathers recognized abuse of power from King George when he started breaking the laws of his own country. Using their wealth, they exploited the primary form of communication -- printing presses -- to spread their views to the people to try to get them fired up. Would they want to reverse the course of abuse and corruption? Certainly. Would they be able to easily? Probably not. Would they take up arms at this time? Certainly not. But they would be stockpiling ammunition and supplies.
I would say they would be starting the process of revolt, they revolted long before the first shot was ever fired. They started with words and trying to bring about change peacefully. If every Constitution loving American isn't active this political cycle (I don't just mean with the Presidential politics either, they are the least powerful branch of government at this point, but from the School House to the White House) then we have no right to even consider revolting. Our government is only as good as we allow it to be. However, if we do our best and we put people in who promise change and say they are going back to the Constitution, and then screw us over and give us more of the same, then it's time to start a revolt, but remember that revolt has to start with words, not with shots.

Remember this is battle of ideas, always has been, always will be.

Our biggest problem is that we have allowed them to take our rights away to the point that they have an inventory of your defense system and will take it if you become a threat, the bold defiance we seen with the Founding Fathers could not be pulled of in this day and age. I say we've allowed it because we didn't get all of our hunting buddies together and our co-workers and our police officers and our National Guard mens together to protest the Brandy Bill and other legislation in the past 25 yrs. We also didn't hold every last one of the Senators and Representatives accountable who voted for it. To them they believe we want more of the same.

I do think it's time to revolt and bring as many people with us as possible. The first step is in the voting booth in November. If people aren't willing to stand up for change in November is a private voting booth, they aren't going to do it openly on the battle field (whether verbally or physically).

Obama said when we get bitter we cling to our Bibles and our Guns. I think he's right except he forgot to mention, we only cling until the next episode of American Idol comes on, then we just forget about the sins of yesterday committed against us.

Although the great state of Iowa is not yet the Peoples Republic of Iowa (yet), we have our first big test of the system this year and will set the stage for just how many rights we allow them to take away in the future. We have a State Senate and State House that won't let us vote on a Constitutional Marriage Amendment to the State Constitution. If we don't win this election cycle, if will be the same as dropping our draws, bending over and saying, "thank you sir, may I have another?" I promise you gun rights are on next years agenda.

Last edited by Jables; 05-22-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #10

I just know I will get it in the neck...................I have never heard of such a load of clap trap in a while, well not since Prime Minister's Question Time actually......You all rattle on about the presevation of the Constitution, civil rights and the fight for democracy, and in the next breath if the democratic system passes laws that don't suit you, or you do not personally agree with the concensus of the American people, you advocate an armed uprising to overthrow the democratic elected goverment. What then? impose your values on the majority of your countrymen through the barrel of a gun.....mmmmm, and you are suprised when the majority of your countrymen raise concerns on unregulated firearms ownership?

Gentlemen your firearm rights under the Constitution can only be defended through reasoned arguement not through threads threatening armed insurrection against your own democatic elected goverment, it's childish, will not happen and utterly counter productive....................