500 Yutes Go Wilding in Chicago Miracle Mile - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 500 Yutes Go Wilding in Chicago Miracle Mile

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Does a heart good to see 500 of our Nations future voters, activists and political leaders, shaping a positive present and soon to be future America..

Become steel or get cut.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 511

Last year, while watching the mess in Egypt as mobs filled the streets and violence went seemingly unchecked, my wife commented on how nice that things like that do not happen around us?..How terrible that would be to observe from our yard...
I explained that, although emotions could be high anywhere and mobs are dangerous no matter the country, there are just too many armed homeowners around here to provide sufficient escalation timeframe and "stage" for such an occurrence.

Had not thought of that discussion until I managed to find some decent coverage of the mob actions (not easy to do) and learned what I could about the events.

Oh, and about assaulting a mounted officer!....must be a REALLY a different world in Chicago!

Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Hey now! WTF?
Jeez, sorry Vikingdad! I meant to say VISIGOTH raiders!
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 04-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2785 Times on 1521 Posts
Likes Given: 796

I sure am glad I turned down that job in Chicago 30 years ago.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Sorry - Chi-town area is home, and it really is a great city. Hate to see it being bashed because of some idiots and the lack of politicians to address it correctly.

Can't put all the blame on the CPD. They have their own internal issues, and are understaffed and out-gunned. There isn't a local police force in the States that could handle a flash mob of 500 people instantaneously without shooting or tear gassing everyone. Overall it looks like it was handled as peacefully as possible with minimal injuries.

Saying you don’t want to visit or work in Chicago now is like saying you won’t go to a movie in Aurora, CO or send your kids to school in Newtown, NT anymore. Crime is everywhere. With the amount of people living , working and visiting the downtown/Mag Mile area and museum campus/Grant Park area, the violent crime that actually takes place per population density I think is fairly low.

Like any big city especially, you have to be aware of your surroundings and keep your guard up. Criminals walk among us every day and we’re not aware of it. We just try not to make ourselves easy victims, no matter what city we’re in.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #16

Liked 520 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Saying you donít want to visit or work in Chicago now is like saying you wonít go to a movie in Aurora, CO or send your kids to school in Newtown, NT anymore. Crime is everywhere. With the amount of people living , working and visiting the downtown/Mag Mile area and museum campus/Grant Park area, the violent crime that actually takes place per population density I think is fairly low.
Horrible comparison considering this is not the first time this kind of attack has happened and Chicago leads the country in homicides.

I feel downtown Dallas is far safer than downtown Chicago anytime of day or night. Yes, situational awareness is always king, but if I had to choose which one to walk the streets at 2am I know which one I'd pick right now.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Well, we are the murder capital of the country. It just doesn't happen to be downtown. Yes, more people killed here than any mass shooting. The comments here though make the central part of the city where the majority of people work and visit sound like a war zone. It's not at all. I have no issue walking around down here than I would walking around in Dallas, regardless that you can carry there and we can't. Tourists and business people are not the one's getting shot. It's the gang bangers and the innocent people living near-by, generally in the $hitty parts of the city that are getting shot.

Yep - we had a flash mob. Are we going to ban social media now? Can't have kids going crazy in the streets running wild now can we? Should Chicago post signs this is a social media free zone - no flash mobs allowed? Social media caused this to happen, right? Are you going to hide in your homes because the world has gone crazy? Stop overreacting everyone.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #18

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
Well, we are the murder capital of the country. It just doesn't happen to be downtown. Yes, more people killed here than any mass shooting. The comments here though make the central part of the city where the majority of people work and visit sound like a war zone. It's not at all. I have no issue walking around down here than I would walking around in Dallas, regardless that you can carry there and we can't. Tourists and business people are not the one's getting shot. It's the gang bangers and the innocent people living near-by, generally in the $hitty parts of the city that are getting shot.

Yep - we had a flash mob. Are we going to ban social media now? Can't have kids going crazy in the streets running wild now can we? Should Chicago post signs this is a social media free zone - no flash mobs allowed? Social media caused this to happen, right? Are you going to hide in your homes because the world has gone crazy? Stop overreacting everyone.
No, just avoid killing zones. My brother has lived in Chicago for 35 years. He lives 1 1/2 miles from grand central station where he works. The accounts he tells leads me to believe a healthy fear of (chitcago) is not overreacting. He retires in just over a year and is counting the days like a vietnam shortimer before he can move to NW Arkansas. Don't feel picked on my hometown of Memphis is septic as well. Most inner cities are cess pools. That's just the facts.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #19

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
...I enjoy visiting Chicago, but I don't think they are equipped to really deal with this problem. It will take generational change and an admission that their ideals are not working.
Not working? You must be mistaken. The Community Organizer in Chief is exporting it from Chicago to the whole nation!

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #20

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
...Oh, and about assaulting a mounted officer!....must be a REALLY a different world in Chicago!
Actually, I knew a guy who was being nabbed at a beach in New York for something like drinking in public or cutting school, whatever, but he scared the mounted cop's horse, it threw him, and he got away!