Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 42 years ago today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #51
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Lock this or move it to political section.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #52

Liked 118 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
This ^^.

Man has done untold horrors to others. Ostensibly and even initially, for some 'common good' or other, but it often devolves into just another consolidation of power over others. I don’t think there’s been an ‘ism that hasn’t been used by ‘true believers’ as a pretext to sacrifice others, often in the millions, for the sake of the purity of their ideology, which they just happen to be in charge of effecting. Sherman was just a 'Johnny Come Lately' in the ‘Ends justify the means’ contest. At least barbarians do it without pretext.
I suppose that day at Kent State Univ when the general gave the order to lock and load, it came from the middle of his dark heart which had no love for civilians particularly rioting ones who had the day before burned down an ROTC building.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #53
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1598 Times on 831 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I suppose that day at Kent State Univ when the general gave the order to lock and load, it came from the middle of his dark heart which had no love for civilians particularly rioting ones who had the day before burned down an ROTC building.
Well, no. I wasn’t speaking toward the Kent State tragedy. I think that was a combination of scared people, without clear options, under pressure, making poor choices. Hindsight is cheap.

I was speaking about the extrapolation to Sherman, Stalin, et al. You don’t kill millions of people by accident. That’s all. We have gone a bit far afield and off topic I grant you.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #54

Liked 2338 Times on 1520 Posts

Let's hope that all who learn of what happened that day learn from it, and don't doom themselves to repeat it.

Feral cat waterboarder