3.6 magnitude earthquake shakes D.C. area
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 3.6 magnitude earthquake shakes D.C. area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1919 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 3922

Default 3.6 magnitude earthquake shakes D.C. area

Stronger quake needed!

3.6 magnitude earthquake shakes D.C. area - wtop.com

WASHINGTON - A 3.6 magnitude earthquake woke the Washington metro region Friday, rattling homes and startling people. The U.S. Geological Survey says it happened at exactly 5:04:49 a.m. about 3 miles under the earth's surface.

There were no reports of injuries or damage, but transportation crews are inspecting bridges in Maryland and D.C.

Maryland State Highway Administration spokesman David Buck says no damage had been found as of Friday morning.

DDOT crews are inspecting some of the older bridges, and are compiling a list of places to conduct more thorough evaluations, DDOT spokesperson Karyn LeBlanc says.

There were no problems reported by regional water, gas and electric utilities.

On Friday morning, D.C. Fire and EMS tweeted they were looking into whether the quake caused a crack in the roadway at 7th Street and Dahlia Street in Northwest. They later determined the quake didn't cause the damage.

Right after it happened, calls from all around Maryland, Northern Virginia and as far away as West Virginia started lighting up the WTOP newsroom phone lines.

"It was centered in the Germantown-Gaithersburg area," Randy Baldwin, a physicist with the U.S. Geological Survey's Earthquake Information Center, tells WTOP.

By mid-morning, more than 13,000 people had logged on to the U.S. Geological Survey's website to report feeling the quake, some from as far away as Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

The website said earthquakes east of the Rocky Mountains can be felt over an area as much as 10 times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the West Coast.

The earthquake woke WTOP listener Christy in her four-bedroom home in Bethesda.

"I was terrified. Then it was a huge jolt and my bed actually went forward from the wall," Christy told WTOP.

The USGS received 6,500 reports about this quake. While minor, this quake was out of the norm for the region.

Baldwin say the area's last earthquake was 2.0 in 2008. The region also had a 2.7 quake in 1993.

Barbara L. Thanos writes on WTOP's Facebook page: "Here's my experience. Sitting at my desk at work, by myself, and all of a sudden the computer, calculators, phones etc, starting moving, building rumbling etc. I work in Gaithersburg! Thought the building was coming down. I've worked there 26 years and never felt anything like that! I ran downstairs and out of the building to see if something hit it. Scary. Husband called and said, 'Gaithersburg just got hit with an earthquake!'"

Dave Garcia of Gaithersburg called WTOP.

"I was pretty scared," Garcia said. "I got rattled out of bed. I thought it might be a transformer, but it shook the whole building."

"I live less than a mile from the epicenter. It was crazy," e-mails Mike in Germantown. "It was really foggy and suddenly there was a loud rumble. Then all the furniture in my room began to shake and rattle and soon, the entire house started shaking. It lasted around 10 seconds and it was STRONG. Probably stronger here since I am so close to the epicenter."

"It woke me up," WTOP listener Amy Zimmerman tells WTOP. "My bed started to shake. Things fell off the shelf."

Some listeners say the earthquake felt like an underground blasting or a truck hitting a building.

"We felt the earthquake here in Columbia with walls vibrating," Darlene Brown wrote in a text message to WTOP.

On WTOP's Facebook page, Jill Lasheski of Germantown writes that she quickly woke up her husband.

"I grabbed him and said Earthquake! We are use to trains going right by our house, but this felt different- really shook our house! But did anyone else feel an after shock about 10 minutes later?? It felt the same but weaker and shorter."

D.C. emergency services says there are no reports of any damage. No injuries have been reported. The utilities reported no problems. Metro also reported no problems.

Amy Vaughn with USGS says there is a world of difference between a California earthquake and an earthquake in Maryland.

"In California, a 3.6 is almost laughable, whereas out here it's huge news," Vaughn tells WTOP. "This can be felt in a larger area, like 10 times larger an area. And, that's based on geology."

Vaughn says because of the area's sedimentary mountain ranges energy spreads farther.

"When something shakes, it goes everywhere," says Jessica Sigala, a geophysicist with USGS, about earthquakes on the East Coast.

Sigala tells Federal News Radio the bedrock is different in the eastern U.S.

"I have heard from some people that they have felt aftershocks," Sigala says.

Preliminary reports from USGS said the earthquake was a 3.7.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 07-17-2010 at 02:30 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

'Twas the Spirits of 1776 rolling in their graves........

Old 07-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #3

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I wouldn't even feel a 3.6 here in Cali.............

Jim.......

Old 07-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterPsmith View Post
I wouldn't even feel a 3.6 here in Cali.............

Jim.......
I lived in the People's Яepublik of Kalifornia for many years and it would take a 6.6 or greater on the Richter scale to wake my old ass up any more. I went through the Sylmar, Whittier Narrows and Northridge quakes (to name a few of the larger quakes).

Too bad the D.C. quake didn't happen later (like when Congress was in session) and collapsed the Capital building on their heads. That would have been better than any recall election.....

Old 07-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
... it would take a 6.6 or greater on the Richter scale to wake my old ass up any more.
Having lived through an 8.1 earthquake and probably dozens of 7+ ones...I agree with this statement.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 571 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

Default Quake?????

Maybe GOD saying "I am getting tired of you posers"
Wake UP.
Yep,
thats like my cat jumping to the floor.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm thinking about aftershocks.

Really, really big aftershocks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Hell the last time I was at NTC Fort Irwin CA we have a 6.0 30 miles south of us I felt it and slept right through it. My Platoon SGT freaked the hell out and ran for like 2 miles then ran back. It was so funny. He said "This sh!t just ain't right, The ground was moving like waves. You people can have this effing state" I am not ever living in a place where the ground acts like the ocean"

Old 07-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It will take more than one flush for that load of crap.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Can we re-order that quake and make it a biggie?

Super-Size me please.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello