Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   28-year-old man charged with cruelty to animals (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/28-year-old-man-charged-cruelty-animals-3483/)

sculker 02-27-2008 02:06 AM

28-year-old man charged with cruelty to animals

:eek:

By Will Greenlee (Contact)
Monday, February 25, 2008

STUART — Police arrested a 28-year-old man Sunday on a cruelty to animals charge after he yelled an obscenity at a police dog in a patrol vehicle, according to an arrest affidavit.

Moses Rogers Jr., of the 700 block of East Avenue, also faces a disorderly conduct charge in connection with the 2:24 a.m. incidents in the 2300 block of Southeast Federal Highway.

Police say Rogers yelled an obscene statement in the window as he walked past a patrol vehicle that contained a patrol dog “causing (the dog’s) behavior to become overloaded, tormenting the dog,” the affidavit states.

Rogers became irate when an officer went to talk to him and ask for identification and continued drawing bystanders’ attention.

Rogers was released Sunday from the Martin County jail in lieu of $750 bail, a jail official said.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/feb/25/28-year-old-man-charged-cruelty-animals/

sculker 02-27-2008 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 17560)
:eek:

By Will Greenlee (Contact)
Monday, February 25, 2008

STUART — Police arrested a 28-year-old man Sunday on a cruelty to animals charge after he yelled an obscenity at a police dog in a patrol vehicle, according to an arrest affidavit.

Moses Rogers Jr., of the 700 block of East Avenue, also faces a disorderly conduct charge in connection with the 2:24 a.m. incidents in the 2300 block of Southeast Federal Highway.

Police say Rogers yelled an obscene statement in the window as he walked past a patrol vehicle that contained a patrol dog “causing (the dog’s) behavior to become overloaded, tormenting the dog,” the affidavit states.

Rogers became irate when an officer went to talk to him and ask for identification and continued drawing bystanders’ attention.

Rogers was released Sunday from the Martin County jail in lieu of $750 bail, a jail official said.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/feb/25/28-year-old-man-charged-cruelty-animals/

:D

#1 Posted by Darby1 on February 24, 2008 at 5:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I hate animal cruelty. This isn't animal cruelty. This is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Now this guy is charged, in the system has to go to court, take up court time. Hmmm....didn't I recently see a story about the courts spending too much money?

No wonder the court system is a disaster. Swearing at a dog? What's next-an arrest because you look at a rabbit funny?

#2 Posted by floridanative1203 on February 24, 2008 at 6:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What a crock of crap... waste of my money!

#3 Posted by angryranger on February 24, 2008 at 7:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I would have just put him in the back seat with the dog and let them both try and reach an understanding. This is definately the better option.

#4 Posted by melissagillette07 on February 24, 2008 at 8:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

“causing (the dog’s) behavior to become overloaded, tormenting the dog,” the affidavit states.

I'm all for police dogs, but if this dog get's that upset over someone walking close to the car and yelling, it doesn't need to be on the streets. This dog has no comprehension over the words but it got upset because the person walked to close to the car. If the dog was that " tormented" it needs to be retired.

#5 Posted by uonlythnkukno on February 24, 2008 at 10:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

#4 You are so smart!

#6 Posted by notaseadog on February 24, 2008 at 11:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Trumped up charges

#7 Posted by innervate on February 25, 2008 at 5:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I think the officer was more offended than the dog by this mans action and felt he had no control over the situation. These animals live and work closely together with their partners. They are family and the closest of friends. I'm sure the officer felt offended and made a more emotional decision than a professional one.

#8 Posted by DB on February 25, 2008 at 6:54 a.m. (Suggest removal)

And the Constitution takes another hit. Ever hear of FREE SPEECH???

#9 Posted by dphess on February 25, 2008 at 7:02 a.m. (Suggest removal)

FREE SPEECH????? What is that????......NOT IN MARTIN COUNTY!!!!!! IMAGINE THAT!!!!

Duck 02-27-2008 03:09 AM

The only time I've ever walked by a K-9 unit it caused me to yell obscenities at the dog. I wasn't paying attention and the window was down just a little. I went by the car and that damn dog did his best to get through that crack at me. Scared the beejesus out of me.

bkt 02-27-2008 09:39 AM

That's messed up. Why is the person being denied 1A rights (free speech) and the dog is being given rights? On what grounds does the cop see fit to demand this person's "papers"?

Animal cruelty sucks and people who hurt animals for fun are sub-human, IMO. But this guy never laid a finger on the dog.

MarkoPo 02-27-2008 11:05 PM

Now that is some creative charge filing right there. I didn't know you could assult or endanger anything on the other side of a window while in cuffs. Hope he didn't fart in the cop car and get charged with endangerment also.