Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Which .22 for the girlfriend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

kaido, beings you're in canada the prices might be a little higher than here in the states. the Marlin XT22 is suppose to be a very nice little rifle that is very reasonable in price and very accurate. it is new enough that chances are you won't probably find too many used ones yet. the 10/22 is not a bad rifle to start with either, but at the price it seems it's past your budget. see what else you find and we will be glad to give advise. another possibility, the remington 597 rifle.
Avoid the 597 like the plague mon ami. Trust me they are not worth the hassle

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #12

Liked 342 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 2

as of right now, it seems like i'll be picking up the XT-22 for her.
not only does it seem like a pretty good price and caliber for a starter rifle, but i haven't read much negativity on it.

i'm not really sure if its the Remington 597 or Marling(?) 795 that a friend of mine has, but from what he tells me, it's picky as all heck when it comes to what type of ammunition it'll cycle through it.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM   #13
jyo

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 10-22 every time---the standard of the industry---it's a rifle that will last the rest of your life and has unbelievable room to modify if so desired---or just leave it alone and enjoy. The 10-22 has the BEST magazine system of any 22.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #14

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
woah.....i wasn't actualy expecting a reply back untill closer to X~mas haha
thanks guys.

i was looking around for some marlins at the closest gun shops since were i liver theres none in town.
(should of said this sooner, but i'm a canadian and not many guns shops that i can find close to me haha)

i did happen to find a Marlin XT-22R for 230.00 though. (anyone ever deal with these at all?)
to me that seems like a pretty decent deal considering the 10/22 starts out at 278.00 for the base modle in my area.

as far as Savage Arms goes, i couldn't find any rimfires at the stores i'm looking in.

any other ideas?

i would look farther but since i'm going to be in the area by these store on friday, i figured i'd try and stick with them.
Wal-mart has them sometimes and a few others as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #15

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Why not put this in the rimfire forum?

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

Quote:
she isn't exactly a fan of shooting, but she does seem like she wants to get more comfortable around fire arms.
Might I suggest a class that offers a variety of firearms experiences?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Might I suggest a class that offers a variety of firearms experiences?
another good suggestion, if possible see if there is a gun safety course in your area. some people just have a fear of guns because they don't understand them. getting someone familar with them and to enjoy shooting them will a lot of times overcome the fear of them. see if there are some amatuer shooting competitions that both of you could compete in, scoring well will usually make a person want bigger and better guns to compete with and make them want to practice more.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #18

Sorry I don't remember your user names, I can't exactly check either since this is from iPod touch, but I've looked at the 10/22 since I'm actually a fan of them. The only "problem" is that it's just out side my price range.

I guess I could if worded it abit better. She isn't uncomfortable around fire arms, she can handle and load them just fine with out doing anything that would be classed as unsafe or dangerous. She just isn't use to shooting so it's almost like when someone jumps from a .22 right up to a .50 or .338. Though they really want to fire it, they don't know what to expect.

About the shooting competitions, that isnt to bad of an idea.
I'm just not to sure I theres any around here, might ask around up on the military base here since I know there's a shooting range.
However I think it'll be a little bit before she's comfortable enough with shooting to enter a compition, even with knewer shooters.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19540 Times on 11091 Posts
Likes Given: 49188

Quote:
Sorry I don't remember your user names, I can't exactly check either since this is from iPod touch, but I've looked at the 10/22 since I'm actually a fan of them. The only "problem" is that it's just out side my price range.

I guess I could if worded it abit better. She isn't uncomfortable around fire arms, she can handle and load them just fine with out doing anything that would be classed as unsafe or dangerous. She just isn't use to shooting so it's almost like when someone jumps from a .22 right up to a .50 or .338. Though they really want to fire it, they don't know what to expect.

About the shooting competitions, that isnt to bad of an idea.
I'm just not to sure I theres any around here, might ask around up on the military base here since I know there's a shooting range.
However I think it'll be a little bit before she's comfortable enough with shooting to enter a compition, even with knewer shooters.
kaido, i think your mind is in the right direction on wanting to get the 22 to get her more familar with firearms. if she's not ready to shoot against others, then the two of you could always have an informal contest between the two of you. remember a 22lr is one of the cheapest rifles or pistols to shoot and practice with. i know i enjoy mine a lot. check out the Marlin M60 rifle, inexpensive and very accurate. here in the states at the local WalMart they go for about $155 + tax. doesn't have the aftermarket support as the 10/22 does, but it really doesn't need it. good luck.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #20

Axxee55, that was actually my thought as well.
Basically just set up some cans, steel plates, or really any other (safe) objects at different ranges that gives immediate feed back.

When it comes to Walmart, us Canadians aren't as lucky. We can't walk in and get a loaf of bread and a .22 or any other fire arm. Our walmarts up this way only sell the ammunition for hunting rifles and shot guns, it kind of sucks.

I migh look around for the Marlin 60 in a little bit.
Like I said though, my pays are pretty small since I'm only working as a part time till my schooling is done.
(by small I mean just under five every two weeks)