Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Which .22 for the girlfriend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Which .22 for the girlfriend?

as the topic says, i'm kind of stuck here.
my girl is new to shooting adn by that i mean shes only shot pellet guns and a single shot from my buddies 7mm rem mag and on from his 12gauge.

she isn't exactly a fan of shooting, but she does seem like she wants to get more comfortable around fire arms. since i'm unable to find something for her for X~mas i figured maybe i'll get her a .22LR and then me and her can go out plinking when we both manage to get the day off.

the ones i'm stuck between are the Crickett and the 10/22 Ruger.
the reason i'm thinking the Crickett is she likes bolt actions and i found on with a blue stock (shes kind of a fan of the colour blue.) the draw back with the Crickett is the its a single shot and i don't think either of us would have alott of fun with it.

as for the 10/22, it's a semiãuto and as we all know, holds more then a single shot. but thats the only real upside i se to getting the 10/22.

guess i'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of any other "cheap" .22LR rifles that are bolt and cost around the 200.00 mark.

(i would go higher, but i still have to grab a case for storing them and my pays aren't exactly that big.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #2

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido
my girl is new to shooting adn by that i mean shes only shot pellet guns and a single shot from my buddies 7mm rem mag and on from his 12gauge.

she isn't exactly a fan of shooting, but she does seem like she wants to get more comfortable around fire arms. since i'm unable to find something for her for X~mas i figured maybe i'll get her a .22LR and then me and her can go out plinking when we both manage to get the day off.

the reason i'm thinking the Crickett is she likes bolt actions and i found on with a blue stock (shes kind of a fan of the colour blue.) the draw back with the Crickett is the its a single shot and i don't think either of us would have alott of fun with it.

as for the 10/22, it's a semiãuto and as we all know, holds more then a single shot. but thats the only real upside i se to getting the 10/22.

guess i'm just trying to find out if anyone knows of any other "cheap" .22LR rifles that are bolt and cost around the 200.00 mark.

(i would go higher, but i still have to grab a case for storing them and my pays aren't exactly that big.)
Marlin model 60 is a semi auto an is around $125 there are many marlin rimfires in bolt action, semi auto just look at marlin firearms on line

Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #3

Quote:

Marlins micro groove barrels are very accurate an the guns a very well built, like most any rimfire keep it clean an enjoy. Dont listen to the bs about the marlins being junk rim fires they are very good quality lil plinkers

Old 12-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

kaido check out the Marlins or the Savages in bolt action. both are well made and accurate and you should be able to get one for less than $200.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Marlins micro groove barrels are very accurate an the guns a very well built, like most any rimfire keep it clean an enjoy. Dont listen to the bs about the marlins being junk rim fires they are very good quality lil plinkers
if you wanted to go the semi auto, i second the marlin M60, very inexpensive and accurate. i bought one used several months ago for $70+ tax, even with refinishing and scope mounts and a scope i had off another rifle, less than $100 in all. check the pawn shops and gun stores for a good used rifle too.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

woah.....i wasn't actualy expecting a reply back untill closer to X~mas haha
thanks guys.

i was looking around for some marlins at the closest gun shops since were i liver theres none in town.
(should of said this sooner, but i'm a canadian and not many guns shops that i can find close to me haha)

i did happen to find a Marlin XT-22R for 230.00 though. (anyone ever deal with these at all?)
to me that seems like a pretty decent deal considering the 10/22 starts out at 278.00 for the base modle in my area.

as far as Savage Arms goes, i couldn't find any rimfires at the stores i'm looking in.

any other ideas?

i would look farther but since i'm going to be in the area by these store on friday, i figured i'd try and stick with them.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #7

Quote:
thanks guys.

i was looking around for some marlins at the closest gun shops since were i liver theres none in town.
(should of said this sooner, but i'm a canadian and not many guns shops that i can find close to me haha)

i did happen to find a Marlin XT-22R for 230.00 though. (anyone ever deal with these at all?)
to me that seems like a pretty decent deal considering the 10/22 starts out at 278.00 for the base modle in my area.

as far as Savage Arms goes, i couldn't find any rimfires at the stores i'm looking in.

any other ideas?

i would look farther but since i'm going to be in the area by these store on friday, i figured i'd try and stick with them.
My xt22 is great, shoots great, very accurate

Old 12-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
thanks guys.

any other ideas?

kaido, beings you're in canada the prices might be a little higher than here in the states. the Marlin XT22 is suppose to be a very nice little rifle that is very reasonable in price and very accurate. it is new enough that chances are you won't probably find too many used ones yet. the 10/22 is not a bad rifle to start with either, but at the price it seems it's past your budget. see what else you find and we will be glad to give advise. another possibility, the remington 597 rifle.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #9

axxe55
i was pretty sure the prices would be abit higher up here since our guns (as far as i know) are all imported and very few, if any, are actualy made in canada so were most likley paying for the importation cost as well as the actualy firearm its self.

i haven't exactly seen a whole lot on the XT~22, but the little that i've read all seem to be good so far.
my only thought is how well it'd preform in cold weather since we tend to get a good bit of that. haha
far as the 597 goes, it doesn't seem like either of these two stores carry them?

i think i might call one of the places close to me. he has a website but never seems to do anything to it, doesn't even have anything listed on it at all. i'm not really thinking he'll have a whole lot since its run out of his basement though.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 AM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
thanks guys.

any other ideas?

The xtr are a dang fine weapon especially for a beginner