20ga for duck and turkey
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 20ga for duck and turkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 20ga for duck and turkey

I'm in the market for a duck/turkey auto and I'm a really big fan of the 20ga. I have always used 12ga, but I am meticulous about patterning and I am very skilled with guns so I thought I would try something new. Previously my choice for this was my Browning Gold Hunter in 12ga with a 24" barrel. does anyone out there use a 20ga for these things and if so please tell me your experiences and what gun you are using.

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you'll have a hard time getting a 20 to pattern like a 12 with the heavier loads used for turkey. I don't duck hunt so I don't know what people are shooting there.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's all about matching ammunition and the firearm. Probably going to have to get a little closer with the 20, although, that might make the hunting a little more satisfying. I've seen plenty of upland game birds killed graveyard dead with a 20.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #4

Lol, i turkey hunt with a 10/22 ruger and cheap as dirt .22 winchester bulk ammo, and the birds tend to die pretty damn quick and easy. My suggestion - find someone who has one already along the lines of what you want, ask them to let you shoot it if you buy ammo and beer after, and see if you like it.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe View Post
Lol, i turkey hunt with a 10/22 ruger and cheap as dirt .22 winchester bulk ammo, and the birds tend to die pretty damn quick and easy. My suggestion - find someone who has one already along the lines of what you want, ask them to let you shoot it if you buy ammo and beer after, and see if you like it.
It's legal in N.C. to hunt turkey with a .22?

I don't have a specific mfr or model to suggest, but I will say that there are youth and female hunters that are successful with 20 ga for fowl and turkey. Like said above, it is just matching ammo (and choke tube) with the pattern you seek.

Oh, this thread may serve you well in the hunting or shotgun section...just suggesting...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 01-21-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: added the other sections thingy

Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

If it isn't then its news to me! It is fully legal to WHITE TAIL DEER HUNT with a .22 lr in the great state of NC...... and ive never had anyone tell me otherwise about turkeys

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .

Old 01-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe View Post
If it isn't then its news to me! It is fully legal to WHITE TAIL DEER HUNT with a .22 lr in the great state of NC...... and ive never had anyone tell me otherwise about turkeys
Really?

You got a link for that? Whitetails and turkey with a .22lr?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #8

No i don't have a link off hand, i can look for one tho! the only reason i know that white tails are A OK with a .22 is my little brother recently got into hunting and he got himself a marlin .22 mag bolt gun from wall mart down the road for a really fair price and he was wondering if it wld be ok for him to use it this upcoming winter (i know, a long way away, but he doesnt have a viable source of income and doesnt plan to buy any more rifles for a while) for deer. Well we drove into Pisgah national forest and down to the ranger station and stated the question to a ranger, who responded "there is no caliber limitations on white tail deer for the state of North Carolina pertaining to long guns". Handguns are evidently an entirely different story. As far as turkey, i have just always used a 10/22, and know a TON of other people who do so as well, and no one has ever corrected the behavior.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

http://www.ncdeer.com/nc_regulations.html

Old 01-21-2010, 10:22 PM   #10

I'm trying to find something about turkey hunting with a .22 in NC.... I'd really like to know if it is not OK so i can correct my behavior if im in the wrong