2012 is coming?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 2012 is coming?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 2012 is coming?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by slowryde45; 08-21-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
Anyone watching the news?

I ain't just watching it, I am livining it.....we just had another aftershock about 10 min ago while I was sleeping,......woke me up again, just like the one at 03:34 this morning.....

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 02-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
I ain't just watching it, I am livining it.....we just had another aftershock about 10 min ago while I was sleeping,......woke me up again, just like the one at 03:34 this morning.....
MB44, I hope you and your family are fine. Where in Chile are you?

A mate of mine lives in Concepción, and it took forever to get in touch with him.

Luckily you guys have some excellent emergency services and had taken all the humanly possible precautions. If this had happened in any other country in the region the loss of life would have been much, much bigger.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=Franciscomv;237909]MB44, I hope you and your family are fine. Where in Chile are you?
[QUOTE]

Hi guys,... a quick update form Santiago Chile

2½ days after the initial 8.8 earthquake the aftershocks are still rolling in. Sunday morning, at about 08:30 a.m., I woke up to a 6.4 aftershock, and right now, as I was speaking to a colleague of mine in Brazil, sitting on 6th floor I felt another one.

Living in a anti-seismic secured building/area our damages were minimal : A cupboard with books fell down, and my wife twisted her ankle leaving the apartment building during the earthquake

Otherwise we got electricity, water (only cold.... worst shower I have had in my life this morning - but who's complaining) gas, food, and beers... so life for us is pretty much back to normal. I haven’t been online since Saturday, as a general recommendation was not to use electricity, and as we were doing well, I turned off the internet connection at home, as I figured there were other people who need the electricity more that what we did. We are expecting to have a engineer to have a look at our apartment building sometime soon, but as far as I can see it has not suffered a scratch. The only real damage to the building is some loose panels, and a hot water pipe that broke. My kids were supposed to start school today, but the government has postponed it to next Monday, and as I said I am back to work.

Obviously what you see on CNN shows the worst of the worst, so we have been very fortunate with just about everything.

In Concepcion (200 Miles SW of Santiago) where the epicenter was, looting have started and a state of catastrophe have been issued with a curfew at 09:00p.m. I do not expect similar conditions to develop in Santiago, where in general we have been better off, but some poorer areas in Santiago have also been hit hard, so I am on alert and am keeping my SIG P250 with me,….

Last edited by MB44; 03-01-2010 at 01:00 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Glad to hear you and your family are fine, MB44. Stay safe and alert.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #6

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of the unfortunate things about earthquakes, especially those of magnitude 6 or greater, is that aftershocks will continue for years afterwards. AND, those aftershocks can be of the same magnitude, or greater than the original shaker. That's just one of the reasons I'm glad I removed myself from the People's Republik of Kalifornia all those years ago. Sure Nevada has some geological faults but we're nowhere near as seismically active as Kalifornia.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I'm glad I removed myself from the People's Republik of Kalifornia all those years ago.
Yeah, we are thinking of moving ourselves,...Do you know of anybody outside of Chile that needs an IT-Manager (CIO) with +25 years of experience in the IT industry..????

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

MB,

If you need anything for yourself or your family that you can't get there please let Glasshartt and I know and we will get a package down to you asap. I just got back from Haiti on Thursday and know what your going through. Please don't hold back and just send a pm to us if you need anything.

Stay safe.

Scubie

Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

Maybe the 2012 thing is going to happen? Anyone else read my thread about the Pentagon's Zombie Vaccine? Earthquakes, wildfires, war, zombies, hurricanes, economic collapse. I've never experienced an earthquake but man the people in Chile, Japan, and Haiti sure don't look like they're doing alright.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
MB,

If you need anything for yourself or your family that you can't get there please let Glasshartt and I know and we will get a package down to you asap. I just got back from Haiti on Thursday and know what your going through. Please don't hold back and just send a pm to us if you need anything.

Stay safe.

Scubie
Hi Scubie

Well I’d be much obliged if you could send down
1) a 1911 (Any brand),
2) a S&W 29 (6”),
3) Twist the arms of some leftwing-politician so that I can get a conceal carry permit (which are so damn hard to get around here)

"then I’d be happier than a tornado in a trailer park… "

Jokes aside, - I sure do appreciate you guys are offering your help, but we are fortunate that we live in the better part of Santiago, where all building are anti seismic, and that itself reduces casualties and damages. Chile has due to its previous experience with >7.5 earthquakes (1920; 1960, 1974, 1985) strict laws regarding construction, and have overall a much better infrastructure than Haiti, hence the death toll is so much lower despite the fact that the earthquake was more intense.

Basically the worst thing was the sounds during the quake. I can best descrbe is like a heavy thumping, with breaking glass, and screeching metal at about 3.000.000 dB....

So the bottom line is that we are ok and are now facing the possible looting, even though I doubt that it's going to reach Santiago...

Looking outside my office, I can see that Starbucks is open….. Think I'll jog down and get a cafe-latte....

(life goes on),....