2 round burst
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 2 round burst

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default 2 round burst

I didn't know where to put this so its here, if this is wrong please move it.

Alright, check this out

"A machine gun is defined as any firearm that is capable
of shooting more than two (2) shots automatically without
manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
It is unlawful for any person to intentionally or knowingly
manufacture, transport, possess, sell or repair a machine gun."

That is how Tennessee defines a "machine gun", does this mean that if you were to modify a rifle to shoot 2 rounds with one pull of the trigger it would still be legal?

As a sidenote, I have no intention of actually doing this and it is purely speculative and out of curiosity, so feel free to speculate with me.

Edit: The key part of that definition is where is says "...more than two (2) shots automatically..."

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10107 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 1610

Under TENNESSEE law you would be fine. Their law was written that way due to double barreled shotguns with a single trigger. Note that you can fire two shots without reloading with those.

However, your problem is that machine guns are regulated by the FEDERAL goverment thru the BATFE, under the provisions of the 1934 Gun Control Act, which does NOT define a machine gun the way that TN does. To the Feds, it is firing more than one cartridge per pull of the trigger.

Translation- you would serve time in a Federal prison, not a state prison.

This is what happens when various legislative bodies keep trying to make law on things they do not understand. There was a law proposed here in VA to outlaw "anti-tank weapons". Never mind that they are already stringently regulated under Federal law. THAT proposed law- AS DRAFTED- would have outlawed every 30-06, .308, .303 Enfield, 8mm Mauser, 91/30 M-N, etc etc etc. Poorly worded is an understatement. It was killed in comittee.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
THAT proposed law- AS DRAFTED- would have outlawed every 30-06, .308, .303 Enfield, 8mm Mauser, 91/30 M-N, etc etc etc. Poorly worded is an understatement. It was killed in comittee.
Poorly worded to you or I, strategically worded to anyone named Brady.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 06-03-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10107 Times on 4358 Posts
Likes Given: 1610

Jesse- you are correct. When I spoke to my state Senator, I chose my words carefully. I asked, if it was not too much trouble, could he please take the person that drafted that legislation around behind the Capitol building, and smack the snot out of them?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6485 Times on 3444 Posts
Likes Given: 483

your average elected official from dogcatcher to president of the united states has the reasoning power and intellect of 2 week old rutabega. so they do a lot of stuff that just sounds good thinking it gets them votes.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-04-2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1510 Posts
Likes Given: 1567

Cory

C-3 is right on the money with the Federal Law!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
your average elected official from dogcatcher to president of the united states has the reasoning power and intellect of 2 week old rutabega. so they do a lot of stuff that just sounds good thinking it gets them votes.
1,000% correct...hollowpoints are illegal in New Jersey for all but range use due to their armor piercing and kevlar vest defeating capability.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Cory

C-3 is right on the money with the Federal Law!

Yeah, that's like here in Montana. We passed a law saying that the Fed. Gov. has no business regulating Montana Guns. Montana Guns being any gun which is milled from raw stock material and is not taken outside of Montana.

What does this actually mean? It means if I go buy a chunk of steel and mill out a fully automatic machine gun, Montana LEOs don't give a hoot, and won't arrest me because Montana has no law against them. But, I guarantee the BATFE will still insist they have the right to regulate automatic weapons even if they aren't part of interstate commerce and will use Fed. agents to arrest and prosecute me.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
1,000% correct...hollowpoints are illegal in New Jersey for all but range use due to their armor piercing and Kevlar vest defeating capability.
OMG! LOL!!

And they should be, those HP's just get too dang much penetration. Thank God those harmless FMJ's just bounce off of Kevlar.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:20 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I knew the reason it was more than 2 rounds was because of double barrel shotguns, but I wasn't sure if federal law trumped the Tennessee law because of the 10th ammendment of the constitution.

So either A. I missunderstand what the 10th really means or B. the government just doesnt care what the constitution says. Both are very possible lol.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/