Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > 2 important things today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
It is about time for me to load up my old pony "Damnyou" and go down to Kingman, Arizona. I don't use clocks and smoke detectors go off when I light my pipe. Some time the modern world is just to damn complicated.
Kingmaker is about 4 hrs away. Went through there to go to Vegas....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #12

Liked 1868 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Thanks, but no DST here...
But there is on the reservation.

I used to live in Northern Az.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #13
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!

Liked 2983 Times on 2031 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98

But there is on the reservation.

I used to live in Northern Az.
Wasn't aware of the res's having DST. I'll take your word since I'm only here since 1/13/12, but I can ask the res down the hill from me if they are or aren't DST. I see the tribal police quite often @ both the indoor and outdoor ranges.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-03-2013, 02:58 AM   #14

Yep, the reservations are considered federal land, hence DST. At least they were back when I worked on them.

It did get confusing.

I do miss Arizona. One of the most beautiful places I've ever lived.

You do the math.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

DST is outdated and useless. It causes far more problems than it could ever make up for. I am all for universal banishment of DST. I'll go one step further, I think we ought to go to Global Time, meaning it would be the same time all around the World. If you have a relative in another country then just remember the the go to bed at XX:00 O'Clock and you are good to go. Set it for Zulu time and leave it be all year round. it would take a few weeks for people to adjust but it would be easier to adjust to than the Metric system. On the subject I cannot for the life of me understand why the Hell Americans cannot adapt to metrics! WTF Americans? Are we that fricking stupid as a nation? Oh, wait. I forgot. We elected Obama. Never mind.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
DST is outdated and useless. It causes far more problems than it could ever make up for. I am all for universal banishment of DST. I'll go one step further, I think we ought to go to Global Time, meaning it would be the same time all around the World. If you have a relative in another country then just remember the the go to bed at XX:00 O'Clock and you are good to go. Set it for Zulu time and leave it be all year round. it would take a few weeks for people to adjust but it would be easier to adjust to than the Metric system. On the subject I cannot for the life of me understand why the Hell Americans cannot adapt to metrics! WTF Americans? Are we that fricking stupid as a nation? Oh, wait. I forgot. We elected Obama. Never mind.
I'll stand by time zones. You can figure out when jeagermeisters heading out to the hunting fields and adjust your life accordingly.
You can't travel the world with a single time zone.
How vould ze trains run, eh?

DST, yes, it can go away. We don't need it anymore.
The metric system? I'll give you that one too. If we did an absolute change over, all the people with a half a brain would adjust within a month. Carter screwed the pooch trying to ease us into it. Total immersion is the only way we'll get it.

Oh. Your last point. We may not be stupid, just gullible. When a large percentage of the voting public spends their time at Fartbucks engrossed in their social media existence instead of having lives and trying to start and run a business or otherwise be a productive member of society,they easily fall prey to the promises of a government that intimates that it will foster such a life for them, their children, and their grand children.

You do the math.

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8043 Times on 4639 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
I'll stand by time zones. You can figure out when jeagermeisters heading out to the hunting fields and adjust your life accordingly.
You can't travel the world with a single time zone.
How vould ze trains run, eh?
In Ham radio when operating around the globe we use Zulu time, also known as Zero Time Meridian, which is Greenwich Median Time. The Zero Meridian runs through Greenwich England (once thought to be the NYC of the world, but I digress). For example, right now it is 08:25 Pacific Standard Time, but it is 16:25 Zulu all around the world.

Two trains can leave the station in Fargo North Dakota at 01:00 Zulu, one headed due East at the same time as one headed due West (assuming tracks are laid out exactly aligned with the east-west parallels). They travel for 12 hours and arrive at their destination at exactly the same time which would be 13:00 Zulu.

Using today's clock each train would cross several time zones, the west-bound one would lose an hour each time and the east bound one would gain, thereby making them arrive at a time several hours apart. You add to that the possibility that if they departed on November 2nd, 2013 at 01:00 local time, they would both lose another hour an hour into the trip.

The Zulu clock would make airline and train travel more timely and accurate.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20827 Times on 11844 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

i agree. DST could very well just disappear and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #19

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

What do you think the benefit of the metric system is? I'm a contractor and I flat out refuse to learn a new measuring system when the one I use works so good.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20827 Times on 11844 Posts
Likes Given: 52360

in my line of work, i have to deal with both. some equipment i work on comes from foriegn countries and when making measurements, those listed may only be metric.

now the ones i despise when working on, are the ones that require me to have to use bot metric and standard sets of tools to work on. one or the other is fine. either all metric fastners or all standard, but not both.